I want to change my blade HL5. Could you help me please?

This user has no status.
Why you say it feels completely different, could you give me more details about it please? Like which ball feels the most and which of the 2 is faster etc.

Basically yes looking to block, push, and smash, but also a blade that allows me to hit flat without as much difficulty as with the HL5 and that when I want to do an FH with lateral sidespin it works for me too, today I will upload a video and show what I say with examples.

JOOLA Nobilis has thick Hinoki outer plies combined with ZLC carbon fiber (Dan did a YouTube review on it). It’s much faster than HL5 for all types of shots, but especially blocks and medium power strokes. Hinoki is soft and has this nice feeling of grabbing the ball and holding it (dwell time). It also has a catapult effect of launching the ball with some extra speed that is the most apparent on soft to medium strokes. HL5 is the opposite. The the inner ALC doesn’t really engage on medium strokes. Doing a compact medium stroke with the HL5 is dead and slow in comparison. Doing a big forceful stroke with the HL5 will engage the ALC and produce good speed. The limba ply on the HL5 doesn’t have the springy catapult effect of Hinoki.

In summary.

Nobilis. Soft during pushes. Fast for blocking (faster than a Viscaria). Fast for medium powered strokes (faster than a Viscaria). Quite fast for powerful strokes and slamming (about the same as a Viscaria). Soft springy Hinoki wood feel.

HL5. Soft and great feel during pushes. Slow for blocking. Slow for medium strokes. Quite fast for powerful strokes. Medium limba wood feel. Not springy.

Side note: Have you thought about playing with short pips on forehand like Mattias Falk? Having my slow spinny loops get slammed back at extremely high speed with short pips is the most brutal thing I’ve experienced in table tennis. LoL

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
JOOLA Nobilis has thick Hinoki outer plies combined with ZLC carbon fiber (Dan did a YouTube review on it). It’s much faster than HL5 for all types of shots, but especially blocks and medium power strokes. Hinoki is soft and has this nice feeling of grabbing the ball and holding it (dwell time). It also has a catapult effect of launching the ball with some extra speed that is the most apparent on soft to medium strokes. HL5 is the opposite. The the inner ALC doesn’t really engage on medium strokes. Doing a compact medium stroke with the HL5 is dead and slow in comparison. Doing a big forceful stroke with the HL5 will engage the ALC and produce good speed. The limba ply on the HL5 doesn’t have the springy catapult effect of Hinoki.

In summary.

Nobilis. Soft during pushes. Fast for blocking (faster than a Viscaria). Fast for medium powered strokes (faster than a Viscaria). Quite fast for powerful strokes and slamming (about the same as a Viscaria). Soft springy Hinoki wood feel.

HL5. Soft and great feel during pushes. Slow for blocking. Slow for medium strokes. Quite fast for powerful strokes. Medium limba wood feel. Not springy.

Side note: Have you thought about playing with short pips on forehand like Mattias Falk? Having my slow spinny loops get slammed back at extremely high speed with short pips is the most brutal thing I’ve experienced in table tennis. LoL

What you are saying is very much in line with my experience. Short pimple on fh do seem to fit the bill, but they require training. I would go for something stiff and hard top first. Think ebony, rosewood, whatever gauzzy quest has on top.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019

In summary.

I don't agree at all that the Nobilis is faster than the HL5 on all strokes. Yes the HL5 is a little slower at lower impacts, but at high impact it is significantly faster and a very powerful blade, probably one of the most powerful for hard shots because of how well it grabs the ball even at high impact. HL5 also can get sufficient speed in compact strokes if you make the correct contact but a certain skill level is needed to do this.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've already used it, but I'm looking for a blade that doesn't have as much emphasis on the backhand.

Maybe today update a video Vs Returnboard

You read incorrectly I said Wang Chuqin no Wang Liquin. My blow is more similar to Lin Gaoyuan, it doesn't go all the way down, it's one more blow forward

I finish the points fast either because I scored or I miss because I play strong.

Saga, Greivin Montero Cano, I am waiting for the explanation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Saga, Greivin Montero Cano, I am waiting for the explanation.
You could say yes, Saga is my brother, the message had been sent from his account because I did not have my cell phone at hand, but then I decided to delete it because there could be entanglements.

However, I never send a message from his account, I ask him to do it, I don't see anything wrong with that, but if there could be a confusion for that reason, the message was better delete.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You could say yes, Saga is my brother, the message had been sent from his account because I did not have my cell phone at hand, but then I decided to delete it because there could be entanglements.

However, I never send a message from his account, I ask him to do it, I don't see anything wrong with that, but if there could be a confusion for that reason, the message was better delete.

Okay. If it is you and your brother and you sometimes posting from your brother's account by accident, then that is okay. I just wanted to make sure it was not someone purposefully using more than one account.

This user has no status.
I don't agree at all that the Nobilis is faster than the HL5 on all strokes. Yes the HL5 is a little slower at lower impacts, but at high impact it is significantly faster and a very powerful blade, probably one of the most powerful for hard shots because of how well it grabs the ball even at high impact. HL5 also can get sufficient speed in compact strokes if you make the correct contact but a certain skill level is needed to do this.

Nobilis and HL5 seem roughly the same speed to me on maximum power strokes. (I rated both as “quite fast” on hard strokes).

HL5 just seems like an OFF- blade on low to medium impact strokes for me. (And on the flip side the Nobilis seems to have a catapult effect on low to medium impact shots). I was surprised by how much slower my medium impact shots were when I switched from the Nobilis to the HL5. Huge speed difference when blocking too. I’ll also clarify that for me compact strokes are medium impact since I’m not a high level player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

In summary.

Excellent, thank you very much for the comparison. Regarding Short pimple I tested the Ritc 802 and it seems good to me but it is not what I am looking for.

What you are saying is very much in line with my experience. Short pimple on fh do seem to fit the bill, but they require training. I would go for something stiff and hard top first. Think ebony, rosewood, whatever gauzzy quest has on top.
I understand what you are saying but I like the feeling of the ball when it hooks into the rubber so i don't use short pips.

I don't really care which one of the two is faster, what I do care is knowing that the Hinoki feels different from the limba, I don't want to see a limba blade again in my life xD

Okay. If it is you and your brother and you sometimes posting from your brother's account by accident, then that is okay. I just wanted to make sure it was not someone purposefully using more than one account.
Understand!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you could try to close the angle of the bat, this will give you a bit more spinny stroke and that wil give you more safety. I also think you could try to relax in the hand so you drop the rack down. Now it looks a bit like you have the hand tense and pointing upward which make you not swing so much with the forearm since this also becomes tense.

I am no material expert but i think you seems to have a rather thick, flat hit so i think you should have a softer blade, all wood? that will help you a bit to get spin and arc. Harder blade will do the opposite i think.

edit:tried to correct my bad english haha

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Following on from Lula’s post and that you would like Hinoki outer plies.

Donic has the Dotec range, these have an ergonomic handle, these handles help close the blade angle on the forehand side, backhand side is slightly more open, so you have to be aware and adjust on the BH side.
Personally, i had no problem adjusting on the backhand. If you are stable on BH side it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I bought one of the Dotec blades just to see what and how the blade and handle felt, now I have 3!!

Also seems to help you have a lighter relaxed grip.

May not be everyone’s cup of tea !!! Definitely isn’t ‘mainstream’

Dotec Person OFF blade has Hinoki outer plies and is rated as OFF-, light blade because of the balsa core, around 75 grams. Could be a possibility, especially with closing the face slightly without changing your FH stroke.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me, a blade like a Stiga Clipper or Xiom Extreme S would likely be good for what you are doing now.

Butterfly Petr Korbel would likely be good for the changes Lula was recommending.

In the end, the technique is more the thing that needs addressing. However, an all wood blade like the ones just listed would give you more room for error as you work to improve the technique side of things. Any of those blades should help you land more balls on the table and they also should help you develop and increased ability to spin the ball.

Not sure I would recommend a racket with a handle that locks you in to using only one side as FH and the other side as BH because of the shape and contouring of the handle.

A decently functional grip (how you hold the racket, not the handle shape) should allow you to have a loose grip that allows the grip to adjust to different kinds of shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I like the slowmo. Great :cool: Almost all the balls you take after the peak (when it already drops a fair bit). You certainly have to loop there and you are actually making quite some spin! :eek:

Feel a little softer/relaxing and enjoy the spin!

Btw, LGY is a very spinny guy. I copy his body swing a bit too as I have a very thin frame.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hi,

Following on from Lula’s post and that you would like Hinoki outer plies.

Donic has the Dotec range, these have an ergonomic handle, these handles help close the blade angle on the forehand side, backhand side is slightly more open, so you have to be aware and adjust on the BH side.
Personally, i had no problem adjusting on the backhand. If you are stable on BH side it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I bought one of the Dotec blades just to see what and how the blade and handle felt, now I have 3!!

Also seems to help you have a lighter relaxed grip.

May not be everyone’s cup of tea !!! Definitely isn’t ‘mainstream’

Dotec Person OFF blade has Hinoki outer plies and is rated as OFF-, light blade because of the balsa core, around 75 grams. Could be a possibility, especially with closing the face slightly without changing your FH stroke.
I had no idea of ​​the existence of these blades, I will investigate them, thank you very much for your suggestion.

To me, a blade like a Stiga Clipper or Xiom Extreme S would likely be good for what you are doing now.

Butterfly Petr Korbel would likely be good for the changes Lula was recommending.

In the end, the technique is more the thing that needs addressing. However, an all wood blade like the ones just listed would give you more room for error as you work to improve the technique side of things. Any of those blades should help you land more balls on the table and they also should help you develop and increased ability to spin the ball.

Not sure I would recommend a racket with a handle that locks you in to using only one side as FH and the other side as BH because of the shape and contouring of the handle.

A decently functional grip (how you hold the racket, not the handle shape) should allow you to have a loose grip that allows the grip to adjust to different kinds of shots.
Stiga Clipper and Xiom Extreme S, I will investigate these 2 blades I have heard them before. I don't like the Butterfly Petr Korbel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Btw. If you feel it’s difficult to go forward and trying to hold you back to avoid overshooting the table, the blade is simply too fast for you. (Although strangely it makes your ball slower :cool: ) In your video, you seem to end the arm snap too early and hold back on your shoulder. It’s too stiff. Cant say for sure but a fast blade could be one of the causes. Get one that you feel 100% free to swing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I like the slowmo. Great :cool: Almost all the balls you take after the peak (when it already drops a fair bit). You certainly have to loop there and you are actually making quite some spin! :eek:

Feel a little softer/relaxing and enjoy the spin!

Btw, LGY is a very spinny guy. I copy his body swing a bit too as I have a very thin frame.
Thanks, I'll try to play more relaxed and feel the spin.

Btw. If you feel it’s difficult to go forward and trying to hold you back to avoid overshooting the table, the blade is simply too fast for you. (Although strangely it makes your ball slower :cool: ) In your video, you seem to end the arm snap too early and hold back on your shoulder. It’s too stiff. Cant say for sure but a fast blade could be one of the causes. Get one that you feel 100% free to swing.
In fact I feel the BSK much slower than the HL5 and very controlable. I just got used to playing like this.

Here is the video of my Forehand!

The blade used in practice was a Butterfly SK Carbon + Nittaku Fastarc G-1

https://youtu.be/RTMtGum5XCA

Do you think the Waldner Legend Carbon is right for my hitting style? Considering that I hate the feeling of HL5 and that I like the feeling of the ball hooking onto the sponge.

Based on your stroke and sound in your video, you seem to hit more than brush on your forehand stroke.

Hurricane Long 5 will be more suitable for players who brush more than hit on their stroke.

Just a short question:
You're using a return board, why are you just hitting one top spin? It would be better if you would hit 5-10 in a row and also show us how the quality of the shot is, i.e. show us also the other half of the table.
Seeing you're technique I would suggest something way slower than you're playing. And also the rubbers are important.