Large blade heads: Why?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I'm not sure if it was just an (incorrect) impression that I got, or if it is actually the case, but watching the WTT Macao event it seemed to me that Ma Long plays with a blade that has a larger than average head size. The head just looks "big".

If my impression was correct, does anyone know why he would choose to use a larger than average head? Is it just for more weight (ie. more power, perhaps to compensate for the physical realities of getting older?), or might there be other reasons?

I think 157mm x 150mm is average, and I remember recently on another thread on this Forum someone commented that the Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso is 160mm x 160mm. I've also read elsewhere that other pros have custom blades with larger heads.

Any thoughts on why one would want a larger blade head? And would any of those reasons apply to 'average' players as well as to top pros?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Greater weight in the head, and with that, greater swing weight.

After a certain point, the gain in speed due to greater weight/swing weight gets cancelled out by the loss in stiffness the farther your hits are from the center of the head, for example, during a loop stroke. Yet, the loss in stiffness affords the player slightly more dwell. The downside is the blade vibrates slightly more and longer and this demands higher precision from the player when making a shot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Flexier, bit slower for a given weight and larger sweet spot because the blade is larger.
Nothing major though, usuly def blades are oversized

Alsp the older hl3 and 5 were oversized for sure so you're probably right

Thanks! That's helpful. So, possibly a good option for those (like Ma Long and Dima Ovtcharov) whose games are built on big, powerful shots. For that game style it sounds like the larger blade head would suit well.

Greater weight in the head, and with that, greater swing weight.

After a certain point, the gain in speed due to greater weight/swing weight gets cancelled out by the loss in stiffness the farther your hits are from the center of the head, for example, during a loop stroke. Yet, the loss in stiffness affords the player slightly more dwell. The downside is the blade vibrates slightly more and longer and this demands higher precision from the player when making a shot.

That makes sense - thank you!

My Harimoto ALC has it too and I have to say I like it a lot. Great blade in general of course but the headsize makes flicking and punching much easier in my mind.

Your comment reminds me of Dan and Tom's review of the Harimoto ALC. If I remember correctly they also said they really liked the blade and it gave it little more 'oomph' to the regular Innerforce ALC.