Short push or Drop shot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
What do pros do to make ball bounce twice on table? Short push (with little wrist movement, backspin) or Drop shot ( just pushing forward without brushing, bit backspin)? What should i do for most of the time?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
What do pros do to make ball bounce twice on table? Short push (with little wrist movement, backspin) or Drop shot ( just pushing forward without brushing, bit backspin)? What should i do for most of the time?
Hi foxy
a drop shot against backspin is executed as a half volley with an open racket. You need to choose an incoming backspin that bounces about 12 to 18 inches from the net. with your racket face open make gentle contact as the incoming ball lands on the table. Dont let it rise at all and dont push through it. Use soft hands to take speed out of the ball. Find someone who wants to practice short chop serve and you can learn to drop shot against it
good luck

pingskills tutorial:-

https://youtube/d34maldH740

Last edited:
Reactions: ChinaMonDon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Feel like it is not that easy. Depends on the spin how much they do a movement by themselves and adjust the angle depending on the spin up, down and left and right to go with and against the spin.

Edit: I think they use the whole forearm more. Just wrist to unsafe.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
hi foxy you seem to have created duplicate threads!!?
Hi foxy
a drop shot against backspin is executed as a half volley with an open racket. You need to choose an incoming backspin that bounces about 12 to 18 inches from the net. with your racket face open make gentle contact as the incoming ball lands on the table. Dont let it rise at all and dont push through it. Use soft hands to take speed out of the ball. Find someone who wants to practice short chop serve and you can learn to drop shot against it
good luck

pingskills tutorial:-

https://youtube/d34maldH740

Reactions: Foxy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Aren’t both videos the same shot? (Except Primorac vs beginner :cool:) The better the touch and technique you have, the more subtle the movements, to the point that it looks like there are no movements except if you watch in slowmo. But you always need a movement to (1) guide the ball actively & (2) add your own spin particularly against opponents with good short games (they know their short).

The movements are from all your body, not just the wrist. The hardest part for beginner is unfortunately not on the wrist as a video may look like. It’s on timing of your leg to step into the ball.

In practice, you can start with a pure “touch” first to learn the feeling & timing, then add a tiny movement later. That’s touch practise, which will be a pain in the arse :cool: Or you can practise pushing to learn the push purely from technical perspective. In this practise both sides do heavy push and try to keep the ball short. This is easier one but you won’t learn the touch very much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Still depends on amount of spin. A heavy backspin backspin serve will make the ball leave your racket so then you need to just hold it. But with a light backspin serve, almost nospin the ball will go up if you just hold it, then you need to close the angle and more dampening it or brush har on the side of the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

What do pros do when they receive serve of their opponent? Short push( little wrist movement, backspin) or Drop shot ( no wrist movement, bit backspin) to make ball bounce twice on table? I usually do drop shot to ball go short, but its less quality shot than short push bcs of no spinning. It sometimes result to pop up high and made mistake. Therefore short push with wrist movement can be better option with quality ball with spin.

Foxy, it seems you had made this same thread twice. I just merged them.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi Foxy,

if you’re interested there’s another heavy back spin push, or ‘ghost’ push. Worth watching on YouTube just to see what can be done!! The ball bounces once, holds up then returns to the net!!! Great to watch!!!
BUT NOT WORTH TRYING UNTIL YOU HAVE MASTERED THE BASIC TYPES OF PUSH. ITS AN ADVANCED SHOT !!
I tried and failed!!! But I enjoy watching it being done;);););)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Thanks, all. Yeah, short touching with little wrist movement to add own backspin is better. I just doubt it. However, im not beginner xD. I havent just good couch to teach it, then i have been looking techniques that i doubt and now im happy of being in this level ( not that pro xD). Touching with wrisr movement gives high quality ball. I had saw pro players do short touch with no wrist movement a few times, then i have been keep doing it. Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I deleted thread which is duplicated. How did i create it? I am wondering xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
All depends on the incoming spin, and if you want to add spin or use the incoming spin.
Drop shot can also be a Drop Shot + Short Push

Its not always about the wrist movement from the naked eye, as the touch/control of higher level players are embedded in a smooth action. Some times on contact point, they would use the "magic" of the wrist. But you can't really see it.
Think of it as a normal hand shake vs a hand shake with power

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I deleted thread which is duplicated. How did i create it? I am wondering xD

You made the thread. You may have thought you deleted the thread. But I don't think you have the ability to delete a thread that you created. And there was clearly a response in the thread which you also don't have the ability to delete.

But then, after making the thread once and having someone respond to it, you made the thread a second time. :)

It is not a big deal But there is no reason to confuse people with two threads of the same exact subject by the same OP. So, they have been merged.