DHS H3 Provincial BS, 41 degree MAX (unboosted)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
What are your thoughts on DHS H3 provincial BS, 41 degrees (2.2mm). Anyone played without boost? Is there a huge subjective difference between unboosted 40 and 41 in terms hardness, speed, spin, and throw angle. I’ve used unboosted Provincial BS 40 Max before and I love the spin, power, and low throw. Looking to upgrade FH rubber from current set up. I am a local club player, but I am fortunate to have regular access to a robot. I have been improving my technique to fit my equipment (ie. Chinese style). I’ve never boosted, and tbh I enjoy the work out and effort needed to play with Chinese style set up. I have Falco long booster, but I think I want to try it with out booster to perfect my technique further.

Current set up:
Yasaka Goiabao (5 ply, Stiga Rosewood NCT V clone)
FH: DHS H3 commercial OS, Black 40 degrees MAX (unboosted)
BH: Sanwei Target National, Red Max (unboosted)

Thank you for your input in advance!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
The harder you chose your rubber the more effort you have to put in your strokes. This is highly inefficient at some point.

But no the difference is not high whatsoever. It will just get harder to get a good and consistent ball.

If your goal is to better your technique you should definitly stop thinking about a different setup if your current setup works just fine. Just improve from there. Changing Setups will always result in perfomance loss and therefore in severe technique changes as long as you have to get used to the new gear.

Your setup right now seems fine to me. If you lack power in your body to perform consistant topspins i would suggest to boost or change the hardness to a LOWER degree.

The only slight thing which bothers me is your BH rubber. STN is not a usual backhand rubber. If this works for you, it is fine, but this would be the only thing i can think of, which could be worth changing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
You should boost. It’s not the effort. It’s the feeling. The dead feel of unboosted H3 is not gonna help. If you don’t want it to be too fast, boost thin. It won’t be as fast as tensor.

And yes, don’t try around too much. If you try, for curiosity for example, convince yourself that they are kinda the same. :cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
The harder you chose your rubber the more effort you have to put in your strokes. This is highly inefficient at some point.

But no the difference is not high whatsoever. It will just get harder to get a good and consistent ball.

If your goal is to better your technique you should definitly stop thinking about a different setup if your current setup works just fine. Just improve from there. Changing Setups will always result in perfomance loss and therefore in severe technique changes as long as you have to get used to the new gear.

Your setup right now seems fine to me. If you lack power in your body to perform consistant topspins i would suggest to boost or change the hardness to a LOWER degree.

The only slight thing which bothers me is your BH rubber. STN is not a usual backhand rubber. If this works for you, it is fine, but this would be the only thing i can think of, which could be worth changing.

Thank you thats great advise. I'll stay with the current set-up for several months, or until the rubbers wear down. I'm playing about 8-10 hrs a week at the club. I was just gifted the DHS H3 Prov BS (41 2.2) recently so I debated changing the FH.

In regards to the BH, STN (Red Max), I actually really like it. I was introduced to it by my dad lol. He had the setup: Sanwei Fextra, STN Blk Max on FH/STN Red Max on BH. The red is more tacky/grippy, slower, and has higher throw than Black with same specs. I find that I have good control/security and spin on backhand. I'm curious to know if Razka Z plays like it. But with your advice (lol) I'll wait to experiement.

Thanks again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
You should boost. It’s not the effort. It’s the feeling. The dead feel of unboosted H3 is not gonna help. If you don’t want it to be too fast, boost thin. It won’t be as fast as tensor.

And yes, don’t try around too much. If you try, for curiosity for example, convince yourself that they are kinda the same. :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks, I'll consider boosting 1/2 layers later when the current FH rubber wears out. Lol I'll make sure to train my mind when that day comes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
The Rakza would feel way bouncier and probably faster, depending on how you hit the ball with your backhand, than your STN. This is really a complete different kind of rubber.

Just keep the other dhs rubber. If you find your way into boosting you can test both rubbers. Maybe then you will like the harder rubber. Especially if you hit very hard, which i assume you do considering that you play hurricane 3 unboosted^^

This user has no status.
On max power shots , its ok to have 80 % capacity compare to boosted rubber . More comes when you want to make slow ir midle power topspin. Due to unboosted sponge ball will be just flat or go in to the net. Since all your arm movements shuld be fast with such degree of hardnes. Go for 39 degree neo BS . Work on yopur robot cuople weeks and after that sponge will soften and will play great.. Thats my experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Thanks, I'll consider boosting 1/2 layers later when the current FH rubber wears out. Lol I'll make sure to train my mind when that day comes.
Boost your commercial first and reglue it to know how much is actually 1/2 layer. Lots of people, including me, boost too thick the first time as it’s very easy to leave a lot of wet oil on the rubber “just to be sure” :cool: When you move on to the BS, you already have some experience.

Don’t be scared. It won’t be as fast/bouncy as Tensor.

The problem with playing unboosted is that you will tend to hit too hard and your muscle cant relax when you hit, which is not very good in table tennis.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I agree with previous speakers. Just add a very thin layer of booster. I bought durometer out of curiosity. I just add very thin layers until I reach desired hardness. Usually 2 very very thin layers do the job incredibly well. You can break it in, but using booster breaks it in much more consistently. Just do this in very well ventilated room.

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Attitude: So, I’m working on relaxing before I make contact, Im not weak, but I’m not out here FAn zhendong’ing either. I think my breathing hinders my power output a lot. So that what I’m working on at the moment. Thanks for the insight. I’ll try the Rakza Z when I have a higher budget. COVID lol

Aidelux: thank you I do tend to struggle with middle power the most, as you said this power range has the least security for me. I think working on the breathing will help also. I mean I’m not holding my breath the whole time I play a match when I play lol.

Tango K: I totally agree about the muscles not relaxing. I do tend to be FH dominant and I’m usually trying to move to set up FH’s. Partly do it for the work out. Thanks for the advice. And definitely trying one 1/2 layers. Last time I tried 3 (FTL booster) I had too much curling and some bulging out in certain areas. I bought a 1 inch art brush for next time. I think it will help with the spreading better.

Kuba: It’s awesome you mentioned a durometer, I have looked all over the internet for someone who has done the experiment looking to see on avg, with ‘X’ booster, how one thing coat changes the sponge hardness, vs 2, vs 3, etc. Maybe if u do that you could publish you results on TTD. Of course it would de dependent on initial spong quality. Euro/jap vs Chinese, and initial hardness. Prob rubber top sheet hardness too, since a softer rubber top would allow for easier sponge expansion (consider you only apply boost to response). Not the cleanest experiment, but it’s thought.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
If you can't hit into the sponge, then you need to soften it up
If you not hearing the "click" sound, you haven't really mastered the Chinese style

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you really want to improve, I suggest getting a weighted sandpaper racket practice with that. Some people do boost their sandpaper. But, since you are going with trying to make things as hard as possible on yourself, may as well use unboosted sandpaper and you could add a 1 kilo weight to the end of the racket so it is harder to swing. :)

Okay, joking aside, why would you think using H3 unboosted would help you improve faster?

I have Falco long booster, but I think I want to try it with out booster to perfect my technique further.

So much of TT technique is about touch, feel, precision, and learning how to apply force into the ball while making tangential contact.

What you are doing sounds like it could be a good "workout", but I have a feeling the road towards higher level technique might lie elsewhere. Trying to use unboosted H3 while also trying to improve touch, feel, precision, control, is sort of like Sisyphus trying to push the rock up that hill in the underworld. Or, like going into a completely soundproof room and thinking it will help you better hear the music playing at an outdoor concert 10 miles away.

A TT ball is pretty small and fairly light. Because of that, physics determines that how you hit the ball determines much more about how much force you transfer into the ball rather than how hard you try to swing. You could try to swing really hard and, because of sub-optimal contact (where on the blade face you contact, how steady the blade face is when you contact, how stiff or relaxed your arm and body are while you contact.....etc) you could hit the ball with much less power (spin/speed) then someone who makes a very easy swing who has higher level technique.

What should you actually do? None of us know. Because, although we have heard you talk about how you play, I don't think any of us have seen how you play.

Is there any way you could post some footage? People would be able to help you considerably more if they saw how you play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I think he confuses this with Chinese juniors in the past used heavy blade to strengthen their muscles. Mind you they didn’t use those blades at the table. They just shadow practised with them. And mind you back then multi-function Gyms with cables weren’t very popular.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl