Banana flick technique

This user has no status.
Hello

I am looking for some advice/resources on the chiquita technique and ball timing/contact on different spin serve receives.
I had a look at this video. The ball feeder feeds light backspin.

The guy doing the flicks makes a point of waiting until the ball is at the top of the bounce or a little bit past.
I've tried this, it works.

How about side/topspin and no spin? Different contact timing?

I've found a lot of videos about chiquita body technique but not much on dealing with different spins.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Feel like players Do the flick two ways in my opinion, over the ball or on the side. With closed angle going over the ball, need to be able to accelerate well at the highest point and the ball will be fast. Or going on the side of the ball, often at a lower point than the highest I think and the ball will be a bit slower but more nasty with side spin.

Think it is more common with the first nowadays maybe because easier with thre plastic ball since less spin. The left handed young Taiwanese do the first one more and ma Lin went on the side a bit. But probably people do a mix of these and there are not so many correct ways to do it. If it works it works.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
important thing is to have the right shoulder up, go quickly near the ball (adjust footwork and upper body) and swing forward, not just with the wrist (ie the elbow should go forward, not be fixed)

if you swing forward rather than up, its more difficult against heavy backspin balls, but against other spins, you'll get a higher quality shot and can even put BACKSPIN on that chiquita, if you contact the ball slightly on the side and under its equator.

if you can do the YG serve, the motion is quite similar to the YG motion except you contact the ball with the BH side of the racket instead of FH side.

Reactions: CroneOne