New Blade Boll ALC or Hurricane Long 5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hello,

i decided to stay with shakehand.

I am going for a donic bluefire m3 2.0 on the forehand side and an xiom vega europe on the backhand side in 1.8.

I try to open up the game as soon as possible. With my forehand it is good and backhand only okay so there i push more but i try to play on both sides offensive.

So i decided now for a boll alc or a hurricane long 5 but i am not sure about these two which of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
1. Please read this first. https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-change-my-blade-HL5-Could-you-help-me-please. Those two blades feel very very much different. The thread describes a player who bought HL5 and hates it, because it does not suit his style.

2. Based on what you said you use rather soft and thin rubbers. Maybe you should max the rubbers first, because going with a rocket launcher of a blade. Don't get me wrong, those rubbers are classy. Most people go with a bit faster rubbers first before they upgrade the blade.

3. If you just want the blade, buy whichever you want more. Nothing wrong with that. Keep in mind it will set you back a bit. (It will regardless of the choice. It is bound to blade switch...)

4. If you would show us how you play, people will be able to be more accurate with their suggestions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Go on, try them both DHS Long5 & Timo Boll ALC (penhold and shakehand version) and tell us the feedback. They should be fine.

But what I cannot understand at all is the thickness of your rubbers, are you a chopper?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I agree with Kuba's points and will add my perspective. According to ttgearlab.com the DHS Long 5 has the same structure as DHS PG5, it seems to be the same blade only different quality control. You can buy DHS PG5 on ali for cca 28 EUR, as I did. I like the blade, I like it much more than Stiga Infinity VPS, but at the same time I'd say the blade is not very fast (in retrospect, I'd be interested in PG5X more). So I bought Viscaria, which has same structure as Boll ALC, and is probably very similar to it. This is my main blade, I'm sure I don't need faster blade. For example the XVT ZL Koto - which is supposed to have similar structure like Zhang Jike ZLC - is too fast for me, and there seems to be less dwell time. You can buy that on ali for cca 28 EUR too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Beside the points mentioned (and i agree on most parts of it) i would go for the boll alc above Hurricane all time long. These kind of blades are played by a ton of very good players. They provide everything a player could ask for and are very well made.

On top of that, i played several Hurricane blades myself and i found them quite weird in terms of feeling and responsivness. Often if i failed a stroke it was so damn hard to tell what i did wrong. Improving with it was a pain in the ass. Since then i played mostly with viscaria like blades like the Yinhe v 14 pro and i play so much better.
The only reason i stay away from bty is their pricerange and their business decisions. I dont like giving my money to these kind of companies. Otherwise i would have switched to viscaria or boll alc a long time ago

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I agree with Kuba's points and will add my perspective. According to ttgearlab.com the DHS Long 5 has the same structure as DHS PG5, it seems to be the same blade only different quality control. You can buy DHS PG5 on ali for cca 28 EUR, as I did. I like the blade, I like it much more than Stiga Infinity VPS, but at the same time I'd say the blade is not very fast (in retrospect, I'd be interested in PG5X more). So I bought Viscaria, which has same structure as Boll ALC, and is probably very similar to it. This is my main blade, I'm sure I don't need faster blade. For example the XVT ZL Koto - which is supposed to have similar structure like Zhang Jike ZLC - is too fast for me, and there seems to be less dwell time. You can buy that on ali for cca 28 EUR too.

If you want a cheaper Long V, Fang Bo B2 is an option. If you want cheaper Timo Boll, then Yinhe V14 should be good enough. There is plenty of wiggle room. There is Yasaka Atletico Power which is supposed to be good. There is Donic Ovtcharov No.1 which is an exceptional blade and should be cheap on the used market. V14 Pro I would also qualify as an exceptional blade, lots of people here agree that it is similar to Viscaria, but there is at least one who does not. There is the Yinhe ALC 01 Pro thing, which I've also heard is good.

The thing is, if you want to improve, just practice, don't bother with gear. It makes no difference at the lower league level. The gear that gives you confidence is the best, not the fastest one. I've been beaten to death with a 10$ blade with 2* Tibhar EL-P rubbers by local kids. In the club where I play there are few players who play in 1st, 3rd and 5th league here in Poland. Some of them just use 30$ Tibhar all-wood blade and pair of MX-P.

If you want to buy nice and shiny things, that is also 100% normal. Nothing wrong with that. Buy the one that appeals to you.

If you want to get advice tailored to your needs at least show us how you play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Beside the points mentioned (and i agree on most parts of it) i would go for the boll alc above Hurricane all time long. These kind of blades are played by a ton of very good players. They provide everything a player could ask for and are very well made.

On top of that, i played several Hurricane blades myself and i found them quite weird in terms of feeling and responsivness. Often if i failed a stroke it was so damn hard to tell what i did wrong. Improving with it was a pain in the ass. Since then i played mostly with viscaria like blades like the Yinhe v 14 pro and i play so much better.
The only reason i stay away from bty is their pricerange and their business decisions. I dont like giving my money to these kind of companies. Otherwise i would have switched to viscaria or boll alc a long time ago

I have quite the opposite experience. I have had played with Viscaria (did not own it though), and I own a very nice V14 Pro. Love them, but I felt as if they were hiding my errors. After using innerforce / Donic Ovtcharov No.1 Senso I realized how crappy my stroke was. There was no longer a factor that covered the weakness.

I feel like the V14 and Viscaria were doing a lot of work for me, whereas the Donic ONo1S just amplified whatever my bade was doing. (for FH I used same rubbers on all the blades)

By interpreting how OP phrased his inquiry, I deduced that if he needs an equipment upgrade, the Clipper or an equivalent might be what he needs.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hello again :D

I read and watch everything about the two blades but still i can’t decide.

I like timo boll but limba as an outer ply.

Why the thickness?
Because i can still open up the game but at the same time push if i can’t attack or be too afraid to do it.

I have a xiom offensive s at home as a blade.

So max thickness on forehand at least would be better for a offensive game?
and backhand 2.0?

than again if i decide against on of the two blades and choose the offensive s i still don’t know which rubbers.
So i guess harder rubber like bluestorm z1 or rasanter r47?

and backhand is a vega europe or omega 4 europe in 2.0 a got idee?

i habe no clue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
It is corona i don’t even know when i can play again so no videos sorry.

I can try to describe it.

Most of my enemy’s push the ball and don’t attack. So first i pushed with them but yeah this is boring.
So i start attacking.
On forehand i attack save with spin.

Backhand only if i have a good day but i working on it.

Most of the time on topspin is enough.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Based on everything you've said so far, it sounds like you feel like your FH is decent and that your BH needs some work and that you'd like to get to a level where you can attack and open up comfortably from both wings even when you're given a push or backspin.

If that's the case, then you need to keep working on your strokes so you can improve and achieve your goals. A fast blade like Timo Boll ALC or HL5 won't fix this, it will instead cause to hinder your progress. A blade like Offensive S is plenty fast already and a great blade/base to keep working on your technique and the strokes you want to make stronger.

The rubbers you mentioned on your first post would pair well with it too. If you want a bit more speed, upping the thickness of your rubbers, like others mentioned, would be the first step to take. With the plastic ball, Vega Europe might be a bit more suited in 2.0mm. For your FH, if Bluefire M3 feels a little mushy (40 degrees), you could try something a little bit harder like Vega Japan, Bluefire M2, JP 03 or 02, or Bluestorm Z3 in 2.0mm.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I recently purchased an Offensive S and after one practicing session I think it is a keeper. Quite fast(around Off), flexible and meanwhile very steady with excellent balance wood. "Do it all" as many ppl describe it.
You won't get many benefits from buying HL 5 or TB ALC .....but the "ALC idea" is strong and obsessive and you will not fall asleep before you buy one, so the faster you do it the better for you. I personally would take the TB ALC just because it feels crispier

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
let's leave the blades for a moment, why You want to buy 2.0 and 1.8 and not max? If you are not going to boost your rubbers and wont participate in ITTF tournaments I think you should go for max on both sides

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
not max for more control.

If i would go for the offensive s i think about harder rubber like 45-47.5 degree like i said something like vega pro or rasanter r47.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Actually i like hard rubbers like vega pro or rasanter r47 more because they are better to play in short game in my opinion

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Actually i like hard rubbers like vega pro or rasanter r47 more because they are better to play in short game in my opinion

Not necessarily. Rasanter 47 is quite bouncy.

I'd say Offensive S with Vega Pro FH and Vega Euro BH both in 2.0mm and you'd be set. Then stop worrying about equipment and practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Not necessarily. Rasanter 47 is quite bouncy.

I'd say Offensive S with Vega Pro FH and Vega Euro BH both in 2.0mm and you'd be set. Then stop worrying about equipment and practice, practice, practice.

My thoughts exactly, give thomas a like.

Reactions: thomas.pong