Pips with sinking effect. I just couldn't pass this up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Tommy is a nice guy. I have met him, hit some balls with him then drove Tommy and his girl friend him back to the hotel late at night.
That night Tommy also hit some balls with Eric Fountain who posts videos on mytt.
I even bought my c-pen paddle from him.
However
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/topic89240_page1.html#1106078
There is a sinking force. It is called gravity. However, rubbers have no effect on gravity. The rubbers do not generate a sinking force.
10+ years later and these myths persists.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
There is a sinking effect but the pips are not the sole reason for it, though pips can be utilised more effectively in the blocking game than reverse rubbers

short pips and the other pips allow skilful blockers to take advantage of gravity against topspinners to greater effect. The factors are variable:
the choice of racket and rubber
the low throw of pips
the skill of the blocker (soft hands, good timing etc)
The failure of the topspinner to contact the incoming block at peak bounce. This is brought about by the time pressure exerted by the blocker taking the ball early, while moving opponent side to side.

Quality topspinners can reduce this effect by :
emphasize drive rather than spin
and
Emphasize GOOD LENGTH (as near white line as possible). This pushes blocker back off the table

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Two of my three practice partners use SPs. One uses 802-40 1.8mm. It doesn't do anything weird. The other plays c-pen with TSP Spin-Pip Red on the front and 802 on the BH. He rarely uses RPB.
I have never notice a "sinking effect". The only thing I have noticed is that they both flat hit low and long so the ball seems to skid off the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
That is because he only plays with the short pimple rubbers that have grip. If he would use the 802 more, or another more classical short pimple rubber with less grip the ball will slide on the rubber more because of the less grip resulting in more "effect". The short pimples with more grip do not do this as much, so they behave more like an inverted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
That is because he only plays with the short pimple rubbers that have grip.
I don't always. I have plenty of experience with SP, MP and LPs

If he would use the 802 more, or another more classical short pimple rubber with less grip the ball will slide on the rubber more because of the less grip resulting in more "effect".
So sliding on the rubber is the "sinking effect"?
What force can SP generate that another rubber cannot.

The short pimples with more grip do not do this as much, so they behave more like an inverted.
I feel cheated. All these rubbers and no "sinking effect".
BTW, I forgot the Palio MPs which I like a little more than 563.

IMG_20201207_150237063.jpg

There is no "sinking" force except for gravity and that is common to all rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Only know a little about forces but I would say that there is different amount of frictional force between the rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
In my opinion the effect known as sink effect is the very flat curve that is produced by short pimples. Less topspin on the ball means it will pop up much less than a loaded topspin.

With the new poly balls, there is almost none short pip that has a really disruptive effect. You have to be able to play variable to be effectiv

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It depends how you hit the ball.
YES!
There is no force or speed you can hit a ball with SP that will cause what you guys call the "sinking" effect that can't be applied by another rubber. It depends on the incoming spin and speed and how you hit the ball.
Now someone define the condition under which the sinking effect occurs.
I don't have a two throw motor robot but if one has one it should be easy to shoot no-spin balls that would mimic the LPs "disruptive" effect and the SPs "sinking effect".