Edge tape?

This user has no status.
I highly recommend to anyone using a 1-ply blade to use foam edge tape.

I exclusively use 1-ply blades now, and to date have not had a single blade split on me. I believe that it is in part due to the foam protecting my blade from light hits on the table that have occurred during pushes or chop blocks, where there has been contact with the table. Knowing how fragile the blades are, I try to avoid at all costs contact with the table, but it happens...

IMG_9084 (2).jpg

Reactions: goodhand and latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews

I exclusively use 1-ply blades now, and to date have not had a single blade split on me. I believe that it is in part due to the foam protecting my blade from light hits on the table that have occurred during pushes or chop blocks, where there has been contact with the table. Knowing how fragile the blades are, I try to avoid at all costs contact with the table, but it happens...

View attachment 22642
That rubber cutting is too precise!

CLT-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

View attachment 22642

This is a very beautiful photo.

If you see mine, you'd probably get some skin reaction. Especially the top BH side from banana...

To add something, I'm also using foam tape, but I only cover the blade first (I need to cut the foam), and then put rubbers and cut them with more overlap, to align with foam. This does make the head a bit heavier, but I don't mind. I do this because I thought the overlapping rubbers would protect the blade even better than the foam (after all, the foam is very light). I got a big dent anyway. My reasoning was also that when the rubbers are used, I'd put them on spare blade (now properly cut without overlap, because the overlapping part is "spent") and "kill" them on the robot. Not sure I'll do it, it is really "spent".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
It could be simply a style thing or a nod to the player's sponsor

No doubt about that. I prefer to not suppose anything, and stay in void. And to be honest, I didn't quite follow the discussion, I just reacted on the photo.

Perhaps I'm just high after the last training before lock-down :).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I found the same thing. So what I do is first put down normal edge tape and then apply the foam tape onto it. It sticks really good to the edge tape.

Couldn't say the same about my foam tape. I got it for free when I bought smth from Aliexpress, but no issues with it not sticking...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
B431ADD9 825A 4D76 B17A 719B63024933 jpeg.jpeg

I don't know why exactly professional players use edge tape on that side of racket, but I will be using it next time to prevent this from happening because of edge ball during forehand topspin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
B431ADD9 825A 4D76 B17A 719B63024933 jpeg.jpeg

I don't know why exactly professional players use edge tape on that side of racket, but I will be using it next time to prevent this from happening because of edge ball during forehand topspin.

That doesn't look like and edge ball issue. It is a manufacturing defect. The manufacturer didn't properly glue the rubber sheet to the sponge.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
This rubber is H3N BS. So, it is not a defect, it's a feature [emoji28] I would rather have this than the bubbling at the center of rubber.

I agree 100%.
You should probably add some glue where it's peeling just to try to "contain the spread".
If you're right handed it's a non playing area so probably won't matter much.

Reactions: burhanayan
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I highly recommend to anyone using a 1-ply blade to use foam edge tape.I exclusively use 1-ply blades now, and to date have not had a single blade split on me. I believe that it is in part due to the foam protecting my blade from light hits on the table that have occurred during pushes or chop blocks, where there has been contact with the table. Knowing how fragile the blades are, I try to avoid at all costs contact with the table, but it happens...View attachment 22642
That Darker of yours is just too beautiful.Shout-out from from one 1-ply hinoki user to another..p/s: My One Ply Hinoki has foam tape on its side too.

Last edited: