Edge tape?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Does anyone know whats the reason for that kind of an edge tape?

Is there any logical explanation or is it just personal preference?

Attachments

• 1ED1D67E-C8EC-4BBC-8478-CD76E2565A97.jpg
    1ED1D67E-C8EC-4BBC-8478-CD76E2565A97.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,836
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Some people tape only the edge of the blade where it contacts the table when pushing. They do this only there because they dont want to loose vibrations to have better feeling but I have absolutely no idea why this guy has the tape reversed :D maybe he is using it like I said and in stress he accidently flipped it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Some people tape only the edge of the blade where it contacts the table when pushing. They do this only there because they dont wont to loose vibrations to have better feeling

pretty much correct
you don't really want edge tape to tighten your sponge/rubber
but you also don't want it to be lifted during a tournament, so you would only tape certain areas that are "higher risk"

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Yeah correct, I think that this kid uses it like I said but by mistake during the game flipped the racket. Pretty unusual but it is the only explanation that sound real for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
That edge tape obviously is not for protection against push. I think at that high level they are playing half long balls alot and she possibly wanted to protect her blade against hitting table while topspin against half long balls.

As Timo Boll mentioned at his racket assembling Vlog, full edge tape affects the feeling and makes the feeling dull, muted. Whereas, partial edge tape usage doesn't affect the feeling (more room for rubber to stretch during hitting).

CLT-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Reactions: Foxy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
No edge tape will protect against table hits. I wo der the call it edge protector. It does shifts head weight.
I use edge tape that has nylon fibers in it. The nylon fibers go across the layer of wood helping them to stay together and not chip.
I have never damaged a paddle when it has the nylon fiber edge tape on it.
The nylon fiber edge tape is expensive but then so is the paddle.
When serving I once hit the edge of the table and the layers of my Butterfly BCX5 split. This wouldn't have happened if I had nylon fibers holding the paddle together.
The nylon fiber tape does look ugly though.

Yeah. I prefer not having edge tape personally.

I also think the blade when the rubbers are cut properly, the side part looks really beautiful with no sidetapes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
I use edge tape that has nylon fibers in it. The nylon fibers go across the layer of wood helping them to stay together and not chip.
I have never damaged a paddle when it has the nylon fiber edge tape on it.
The nylon fiber edge tape is expensive but then so is the paddle.
When serving I once hit the edge of the table and the layers of my Butterfly BCX5 split. This wouldn't have happened if I had nylon fibers holding the paddle together.
The nylon fiber tape does look ugly though.
do you have a picture of this type of edge tape?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
i just put a 10mm wide ,1mm thick chinese edge tape on my triple-beam scales .With the protective paper still on the thing came out at 0.9 grams.

I think that the only reason to put edge tape on is if a pro player wants to show his sponsors flag;););)

If one gives the blade a mighty whack with, let's say the edge of the table, no edge tape will stop damage to the blade. Rolling back the rubber when pushing low can be avoided using the wide tape that covers the complete side of the rubbers. I use this system but it looks like dogs-bollocks ;)

Reactions: Simas
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
https://3.imimg.com/data3/GF/OM/MY-4698450/nylon-250x250.jpg

notice that the nylon fibers go across the plies of wood. Getting the right width of tape may be difficult.

looks like good stuff.
In situations like this I made good experience by laying the appropriate length of tape on a sheet of plate glass then cutting it into strips of 5-6 , or 10 to 12mm as needed.
Once cut to size it can be lifted off the glass relatively easy and applied to the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Don't know about what weight distribution you are talking? Of 1 gram? :)

It is used for protection, or as said, to show more logo of sponsors if you a pro. Don't know about the vibrations, but I am doubtful of that. This could be very easily tested using a blind test to see if you can feel any change or not.

If you use it and choose a wider tape which covers from top of the rubber to the end of another rubber it also helps for protecting the rubbers from edge peeling or small bits of rubber going off. If you want a really great protection from dents to the wood, you can use a foam edge tape

20181022_185244.jpg
20181022_185326(0).jpg
20181022_185335.jpg
20181027_215347.jpg
20181027_222139.jpg

Last edited: