Being a tall player and new yinhe rubber (mercury storm)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I am 1.85m player and I consider myself as a begginer-intermediate, I read some texts about being a tall player and I can relate some of the thing like more of backhand dominat, although I also like to hit with fh but it feels "weird"?, but there were also a weird thing that a guy said, he said to not server backspin or just little and if I serve sidespin it will go long, is it true? Keep the body low is also a important thing they said and I agree with it.

Is there anything else important being a tall player? What are the benefits and the bad points of being tall? How should I play being tall? And if there is anything else and to say please say. Thanks

Have anyone seen or used the new yinhe rubber the mercury storm the price of the shop is 260ntd around 9.2 usd, there are 2 options black with blue sponge and red with orange sponge, pics from the seller:
cache.php
cache.php
cache.php

watch wang liqins game. Even though the level is quite far, there is a sense. Since you are tall you have a larger swing. Even though this means ur close to the table game is affected, and you have worse recovery. If you step back you may be able to generate larger amounts of power due to the swing. Your forehand should dominate or like you can use that more since that is your outright advantage. Aside from that, you have a higher contact point.

Your footwork maybe a bit slower, but footwork is not always meant to be fast. Yes, it helps, but for me the best footwork is the footowk that would get you the right shot in the right situation.

This user has no status.
I am 1.85m player and I consider myself as a begginer-intermediate...

Is there anything else important being a tall player? What are the benefits and the bad points of being tall? How should I play being tall? And if there is anything else and to say please say. Thanks

The most important thing in my opinion is the need to bend, bend, bend. I’m 6’3” (1.9m) and besides the need to perhaps bend more than a shorter player, I find everything else to be an advantage.

Opponents will become more apprehensive to do short shots when they see you can easily reach right up to the net, which will give you a nice advantage if you develop that aspect of your game.

You’ll be able to get back so many shots to both your forehand and backhand because of your long arms that otherwise would be out of reach.

One negative I have heard but not personally experienced is that you might be more tied up if someone hits to your playing elbow. I use a somewhat modified seemiller grip, so it’s not really an issue for me...

A good player to watch is Vladimir Samsonov. He is taller than you, and has been in the top 10 in the world for something like 15 years. Definitely one of the all time greats.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is specifically worth NOT LISTENING to things like:

he said to not server backspin or just little and if I serve sidespin it will go long, is it true?

Any player of any height can use any kind of spin as long as they train the skill. So, definitely do not listen to information that would seek to limit the skills you can work on.

If you watch any high level player who is tall, Xu Xin, Vladimir Samsonov, Wang Liqin, Quadri Aruna.....They can do everything any other player can do even if they have adapted play to their own styles. And all of them play differently. But they all use backspin and sidespin when appropriate.

In table tennis it is wise to train to be able to use all kinds of spins. On the forum, NextLevel is quite tall and a decently high level player, and his backspin serves are quite evil. :)

In serving a skill that mid-level and lower than mid-level players underestimate is being able to vary spin level.

If you are able to show very heavy backspin, it forces your opponent to respect the heavier spin. Then if you serve a lighter spin backspin, or a no-spin that looks like the backspin serve, you can get looser returns that you can use to control the point. Then, as you mix heavier and lighter spins, if the opponent starts anticipating the lighter spin, when you give them heavy spin, they drop the ball into the net. So, often, changing the spin, changing the intensity of the spin helps you set yourself up better.

When serving different sidespin serves, you just need to get used to what comes back when you make those serves. And, it is higher level strategy to try to use the serves to set up your third ball, than to try and win a point outright with a serve. And when your opponent is of a certain level, you are not going to win points outright on a regular basis with your serves. :)

Hopefully some of this information is useful.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
There are better things to put time and effort in than how your length affect the game. Would be different if you are very very tall or close to a dwarf.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Ovtcharov - 1.86
Samsonov - 1.89
Franziska Patrick - 1.9
Mattias Falck - 1.88
Wang Liqin - 1.85
Liam Pitchford - is either 1.83-1.86 (I suspect that 1.85 or 1.86 is closer to reality)

Hugo Calderano is also close to that - 1.82

There are many top level quite tall players. Find someone whose style suits you most. And then don't worry, be happy, and train-train-train

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I guess 1.85m is rather tall in Brazil? :cool: Probably super tall in Asia. In Europe, meh! You are just normal.
I’m a short guy 1.7m so I probably have no say here but well. Probably the best way to deal with it is to consider it non-existence. Just focus on the thing you want to improve at the moment.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Ovtcharov - 1.86
Samsonov - 1.89
Franziska Patrick - 1.9
Mattias Falck - 1.88
Wang Liqin - 1.85
Liam Pitchford - is either 1.83-1.86 (I suspect that 1.85 or 1.86 is closer to reality)

Hugo Calderano is also close to that - 1.82

There are many top level quite tall players. Find someone whose style suits you most. And then don't worry, be happy, and train-train-train

AMEN to that ! ;)