Racket left in car

This user has no status.
I know that an inverted rubber can be ruined very quickly by leaving it in a hot car, but am wondering about short pips.

I’d like to leave a spare blade that I’m not using that has short pips on one side, and long pips on the other in my car, just in case I’m passing a club sometime and could play.

The blade would be in a case and not exposed to sunlight.

Will the heat ruin the short pips as well?

Thanks,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Think you need to specify how hot and for how long, but how would any rubber be ruined if they are in a case? humidity?

This user has no status.
Think you need to specify how hot and for how long, but how would any rubber be ruined if they are in a case? humidity?

I live in Florida, so during winter months it averages 75-85 Fahrenheit. Since it’s a spare racket, I’d like to just leave it permanently in the car for the next 2-3 months.

I didn’t know if it is the heat, or having the sun beat down on it directly that ruins the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Haha you guys have great winter months. You should try Sweden. I think that without the case it would be bad but do not think the rubber will be dry in the case? proably someone with more experience of living in awesome weather conditions can help you :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I don't know about short-pips, but a friend of mine, who tries many long-pips rubbers, regularly leaves the long-pips outside, exposed to the sun-light, to make it more deceitful, among other illegal tricks :)

Perhaps I should add, that these tricks are for team-members only, to not evoke offense...

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Is it being in direct sunlight, or is it simply being in a hot location that ruins the rubber?

Lets look at an analogy. What you are talking about is rubber. Say, a rubber band, or a ball of rubber bands.

Now, if your car was in direct sunlight and it was 85-degrees out, how hot would it get in your car? Sometimes really frickin' hot, right? The car, if it is in the sunlight, can heat up a lot more than the temperature of the air outside because of the transfer of energy from direct sunlight.

So, lets say it was 95-100 in your car one day, and you had a ball of rubber bands in a bag. Would the rubber bands melt at all? Would they get damaged? Now, say, over the course of 3 months, there were 5 afternoons where, for a few hours, the car got up to 100-degrees, 2 days where it got over 105 for a few hours, and most of the time the temperature was somewhere between 70-90-degrees.

Would those random days where the car felt hot like an oven cause damage to your ball of rubber bands?

If the answer is, No, then you may not have to worry. But, if, every so often you walk up to your car and go, "Oh man, it is hot in here. I need to leave the widows and doors open for a while before I get in", and you think that could cause the rubber bands to melt a little, then, odds on, it will damage your rubbers.

But as Latej said, some people do stuff to LP on purpose to damage the rubber and make it have less friction. So, would you want to make your LP and SP have less grip and give more spin reversal? I am not sure that is how the rubber would be damaged. But, as the rubber molecules are heated and damaged, the heat would also likely speed up the oxidation process that would cause the rubbers to become more brittle, less elastic, and less grippy.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Leaving an LP in your car in FLORIDA sunshine in direct sun for a few hours is pretty much the same thing as growing plants from seeds and sell the resultant veggies, except here, you are selling friction LPs that grew into frictionless LPs and the start to finish time on the process is 100x faster... all for free or little manufacturing costs.

This user has no status.
Leaving an LP in your car in FLORIDA sunshine in direct sun for a few hours is pretty much the same thing as growing plants from seeds and sell the resultant veggies, except here, you are selling friction LPs that grew into frictionless LPs and the start to finish time on the process is 100x faster... all for free or little manufacturing costs.

Haha. So to sum up: Based on @UpSideDownCarl ‘s great analogy, as long as it isn’t extremely hot, it should be ok. And from what you are saying, if it is in direct sun, it could help the long pips and hurt the short pips, unless I want frictionless short pips (which I don’t).

A bonus takeaway I got from this was: never leave a wad of rubber bands in your car... [emoji23]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
I would say leaving any gear in the car is not the wisest decision, especially where heat is concerned.
Unless you haves tons of money and want to experience it.

For higher level players, the equipment needs to be at 99.9%.
I'm sure heat will alter the performance more than the 0.1% threshold, maybe even 1% or 10%

I've seen news where rubber slippers was let in the car, and it shrunk.