Here's Why Ma Long is the Greatest Table Tennis Player Of All Time!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
OKAY! So today i’m going to say it. Ma Long is the GOAT of Table Tennis!

The question is what makes the current Olympic and World Champion so good? We try to figure it out in this video.

Ma Long recently took part in the first showcase event of World Table Tennis in Macao! For those wondering… World Table Tennis is ITTF’s new flagship International tournament structure and aims to take the table tennis to next level!

Agree? Let us know in the comments

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think most can agree that La Long is the best, but I have the feeling the video is more about the WTT promotion. I hate the side angle by the way. To make WTT a sucess for the viewers they need the side from behind angle 90% of the time. They even did some cool camera movment from there while the rally was ongoing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I think most can agree that Ma Long is the best, but I have the feeling the video is more about the WTT promotion. I hate the side angle by the way. To make WTT a sucess for the viewers they need the side from behind angle 90% of the time. They even did some cool camera movment from there while the rally was ongoing.

This - it is pretty clearly WTT promotion.

The video does a good job explaining some reasons why Ma Long is a great player. But a lot of the things that are being said can also be said about countless other top players, none of this explains what separates him as the Greatest of All Time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Fantastic video Dan!

I'd say the current format (ie. the larger, heavier ball) favours a power-player like Ma Long. With the current ball he is definitely the GOAT (so far).

BUT ...

With the smaller, lighter ball of the previous era, Waldner was almost superhuman and was the GOAT of that game.

My guess is that in a match between ML and Waldner, assuming both at their best, with the current ball and modern equipment ML would win and with the old ball and equipment of the 1990s it would be Waldner.

Reactions: TTW
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
This video is just showing ML had a great tournament. To have a convincing argument of who's the GOAT or even best player of the year, we have to compare ML against other top players.

ps. I do think ML might be the GOAT, but this video doesn't show that at all.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think he is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Ma Long is GOAT because he can adapt. A few years ago his bh couldnt match up to FZD, and befor that maybe ZJK. But he worked on it and its now as good. While the rest of his game has also evolved.

No other player has ever been able to do this. They all have their weakness. ML has none.

Reactions: trumpet_guy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Ma Long is GOAT because he can adapt. A few years ago his bh couldnt match up to FZD, and befor that maybe ZJK. But he worked on it and its now as good. While the rest of his game has also evolved.

No other player has ever been able to do this. They all have their weakness. ML has none.

True but it was much more difficult to have a good backhand with the celluloid ball and even more difficult with the 38mm ball. Almost no one was playing counter topspin from the backhand side with the older ball. Nowadays, even the weaker players in the Top 100 are able to do this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
If Ma Long can walk out of Tokyo 2021 with a Gold Medal in singles then no one can deny his the GOAT.

Massive hurdle now is covid and if games can realistically happen being Japan in state of emergency and Olympics less than 6 months away.

Cannot see ML same kind of form in 2024 and don't think anyone would expect him to be in that form and expect him to compete in Paris 2024

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
True but it was much more difficult to have a good backhand with the celluloid ball and even more difficult with the 38mm ball. Almost no one was playing counter topspin from the backhand side with the older ball. Nowadays, even the weaker players in the Top 100 are able to do this.

This is because spin has been eliminated from the game, systematically and by design by ITTF. They wanted to slow down the game but ironically now its all about speed since rallies are longer and the only way to get ahead is to hit harder and faster to reduce opponents reaction time.

vs in old era or speed glue with 38mm ball where spin and control were much more important.

This is also why defenders are gone. ITTF wanted to eliminate them and did.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
If Ma Long can walk out of Tokyo 2021 with a Gold Medal in singles then no one can deny his the GOAT.

Massive hurdle now is covid and if games can realistically happen being Japan in state of emergency and Olympics less than 6 months away.

Cannot see ML same kind of form in 2024 and don't think anyone would expect him to be in that form and expect him to compete in Paris 2024

He doesn't need to win next Olympics, he's already the GOAT. What more does he need?

2021 games won't be happening anyway.

Reactions: MaLin2.0
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
GMOAT maybe ML, greatest male of all time.

if you look at Chinese Nat Champs and World Champs won, male and female,
ML 3 of each, Deng Yaping (FEMALE) 6 CNC’s and 3 WC’s, considering how strong China is as a TT nation, winning 6 of those is one hell of an achievement!! So she could be considered GFOAT

We split into men’s and women championships, and so should judge each separately, I feel that to judge a GOAT, gender should take second place, and an individual’s results first place.
mind you if you only look at WC’s there’s a few that have won 3 of those!!

it would be interesting to have an occasional unisex tournament!! Just to see how the ladies compare to their male counterparts !!! Could be a few shocks!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
@MrCrispy ML has been exceptional & has set a standard.

Many sports have major events eg. Nascar it's Daytona
NFL it's the Superbowl
Soccer which many will argue is World Cup. Messi great example how his legacy sorta looked different when comparing to Maradona or Pele as he hasnt won major title for Argentina

To me pinnacle event for Table Tennis and many might argue is Olympic Games. I think it's an event which makes whoever wins it a national icon.

1. Wang Hao has been in 3 Finals and has lost in all 3, I bet it haunts him everyday not being able to of won one. Would we see Wang Hao as the GOAT now if had 3 Gold Medals in singles?

2. Ding Ning has a major supporter base, I saw it when competed in Australia. Wonder if had lost in Rio, would she still have that same glow about her in her base and might LXX be seen herself as the GOAT in ladies TT?

Your probably right, ML doesn't need do anything more to prove himself, but I feel in a way every accolade just adds something special. 2nd Gold Medal could be difference maybe 30 years down the track when new generation have dicsussions of the GOAT.