How to clean a Viscaria Handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Teraz tak serio :D jest się czym przejmować? Mój kolega używa jej od paru miesięcy a jest w ładniejszym stanie (rączka) niż ta "moja"

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
When you are holding your racket, while playing, nobody can see the handle. :)

that is of course true but then the handle does look pretty "grubby" and if one pays good money for a nice trophy like that one wants to at least clean it up a bit and have a "new start".
Then there are of course the questions of hygiene and maybe even covid dangers to consider.;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
that is of course true but then the handle does look pretty "grubby" and if one pays good money for a nice trophy like that one wants to at least clean it up a bit and have a "new start".
Then there are of course the questions of hygiene and maybe even covid dangers to consider.;)

I am, of course, joking around. But, I also find it odd that someone would care about how clean their racket handle is.

How long can CoVID live on wood surfaces? How long is it going to take for the blade to be shipped?

On more porous surfaces like cardboard CoVid does not live more than 24 hours. On the kind of surface of the porous wood handle of a Viscaria, it probably can't live as long as it will take to ship. So, I am not sure CoVID is something that would be transmitted that way. Or we all would be getting it from any kind of online shopping. No need to spread fear on the subject.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I am, of course, joking around. But, I also find it odd that someone would care about how clean their racket handle is.

How long can CoVID live on wood surfaces? How long is it going to take for the blade to be shipped?

On more porous surfaces like cardboard CoVid does not live more than 24 hours. On the kind of surface of the porous wood handle of a Viscaria, it probably can't live as long as it will take to ship. So, I am not sure CoVID is something that would be transmitted that way. Or we all would be getting it from any kind of online shopping. No need to spread fear on the subject.

well,i am of course joking too.
I never bought a second hand blade but if i would, I am sure I would give the handle a quick wipe......just in case ;) I mean, one never knows where things have been , does one ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
So water or detergent and rag or sanitizer will help and not destroy a handle colors?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I would use a finish equivalent to Watco's Danish Oil to treat the handle after cleaning rather than a polyurethane based finish as a poly finish will make the handle feel like plastic. An oil type finish will retain the natural texture of the wood.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I would use a finish equivalent to Watco's Danish Oil to treat the handle after cleaning rather than a polyurethane based finish as a poly finish will make the handle feel like plastic. An oil type finish will retain the natural texture of the wood.ers the

That might well be true if one covers the handle (or the blade-surface) in 1 or several layers polyurethane or any kind of lacquer. I apply a thin layer with a damp cloth, just enough to SEAL the wood. The porous property remains intact, there is no gloss and the feeling is still that of the wood.e

This method has been recommended to seal the blade surfaces before gluing the rubbers on to it. Applying too much will indeed give a glossy finish and if not sanded back the rubbers won't stick

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have to be honest. TT handles are designed to absorb your sweat which makes it so they are good for playing, naked, how they come. Everyone has a right to do what they want with their blades whether it is make them fastidiously clean, oiling, sealing. But a handle with nothing on it is very useful for how you can shift your grip without thinking about shifting your grip, for how the racket lays in your hand, and how it allows you to feel the ball contact.

With nothing, the handle does what it is supposed to do. Add a layer of polyurethane sealant and you stop the ability of the wood to get water away from your hand. And the handle will not feel as good in your hand and, this also could impact what you feel from the ball contact. At least, that is my experience.

Using Oil might be fine. I have never tried. But I just don't see that there is a reason.

I know some people like racket grip tape on the handle. I guess that is a choice too. If your hand is especially large, perhaps that is a reason for that kind of modification. But tape on the handle also never felt good to me and this also blocks the feeling of the contact.

When the choices someone makes about their equipment are about the aesthetics, how the blade looks when it is sitting on the table (not in your hand) rather than how the blade plays, how it feels, how your hand interacts with the handle and feels the ball on contact, then I would seriously question what the actual purpose of the modifications are.

In my opinion, the aesthetics of a blade are a trivial matter next to how the blade feels and responds during play.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I have to be honest. TT handles are designed to absorb your sweat which makes it so they are good for playing, naked, how they come. Everyone has a right to do what they want with their blades whether it is make them fastidiously clean, oiling, sealing. But a handle with nothing on it is very useful for how you can shift your grip without thinking about shifting your grip, for how the racket lays in your hand, and how it allows you to feel the ball contact.

With nothing, the handle does what it is supposed to do. Add a layer of polyurethane sealant and you stop the ability of the wood to get water away from your hand. And the handle will not feel as good in your hand and, this also could impact what you feel from the ball contact. At least, that is my experience.

Using Oil might be fine. I have never tried. But I just don't see that there is a reason.

I know some people like racket grip tape on the handle. I guess that is a choice too. If your hand is especially large, perhaps that is a reason for that kind of modification. But tape on the handle also never felt good to me and this also blocks the feeling of the contact.

When the choices someone makes about their equipment are about the aesthetics, how the blade looks when it is sitting on the table (not in your hand) rather than how the blade plays, how it feels, how your hand interacts with the handle and feels the ball on contact, then I would seriously question what the actual purpose of the modifications are.

In my opinion, the aesthetics of a blade are a trivial matter next to how the blade feels and responds during play.

I think i agree with everything you say, including the part where you mention the individuals choice.
My hands are just about the only part of me that do not sweat.............so i seal the handle the same time i sal the blade surface.
All good ! :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
In my case, my hand does sweat and it soaks into the handles of some blades which causes it to stink over time and my hand to smell after playing. Having a somewhat sensitive sense of smell, this is an issue which I solve with the aforementioned oil finish. The oil finish itself would smell like fish for some days but that goes away once it completely cures.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
In my case, my hand does sweat and it soaks into the handles of some blades which causes it to stink over time and my hand to smell after playing. Having a somewhat sensitive sense of smell, this is an issue which I solve with the aforementioned oil finish. The oil finish itself would smell like fish for some days but that goes away once it completely cures.

Ahh, may i suggest to add a couple of drops of Frankincense extract to the oil :)

Maybe, it is my opinion, but ZJK and the best chinese players uses a dirty handle viscaria ;). Jokes aside though, my blades though as good as they feel new, it takes one month to get that awesome feel of a blade that sticks to your hand. Once it absorbs sweat, becomes dirty, becomes more moist, the grip feels much better. Of course, I do not mean food or food oils, I mean natural oils and sweat from the hands. It may be placebo, but the grip always feels bettter once it is dirty.