How to clean a Viscaria Handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I think you could try playing with grip tape if you're worried about discoloring the handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It feels better not because it’s more moist :p it smoothens the rough surface of the wood. If you use sand paper to sand the wood, it will feel like sand paper. If you use skin to sand the wood, it will feel like skin. Albeit sanding by skin takes very very long time.

FZD might have changed his viscaria’s handle as it was too dirty btw. Who knows. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
It feels better not because it’s more moist :p it smoothens the rough surface of the wood. If you use sand paper to sand the wood, it will feel like sand paper. If you use skin to sand the wood, it will feel like skin. Albeit sanding by skin takes very very long time.

FZD might have changed his viscaria’s handle as it was too dirty btw. Who knows. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Even if you use a very fine grit??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Even if you use a very fine grit??

Yes. A very fine one makes it feel good but just still not the same. You overdo and it could go too smooth. When you touch skin, it’s smooth but it stays. Albeit you sand and then play for a couple of weeks and it gets better. So it’s a combination of both the sandpaper and your skin.

I did it with my Yasaka Max Wood (Yasaka handles are notorious), taking me quite a lot of back and forth but it was fun.

That being said. It doesn’t matter that much.

And overtime, I hold the handle looser and looser. So to some point the difference kinda disappears. It’s mostly for your own joy while you are not at the table :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Why me :eek: Why not Yogi, who’s tried everything and good enough to know what he is trying; or Carl, who posts 1/2 the replies on this forum (or 3/4 if you take word counts) :cool:

Id’ suggest you make a new thread explaining your situation in details. People will know. I’ve tried very few.

Oh, regarding Fan Zheng Dong, the Chinese player, those were jokes. He uses a Viscaria but he’s sponsored by Stiga so they glue a Infinity VPSV handle on his blade for show.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Hey Tango, I want to buy a new blade to increase my skills and abilities, I have two options viscaria fl or stiga infinity v vps JTTA. Which one should I buy and can you give rubber recommendations for FH and BH?
Thank You

There is an infinity vps v JTAA? really?

p.s. sorry for asking it here...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new here but this thread reminds me some issue I had as a... musician at the beginning of my music journey: how to clean a non lacquered fretboard (ebony, rosewood, etc...)
And yes lemon oil do works ! it's cheap, gentle, and reliable, it really attracts the dust, and if wiped well it won't feel slippery at all.

I've been asking myself too how to clean those old handles, white vinegar, avoiding alcohol as much as possible to preserve the colors, not too much water to avoid moisture, gentle sanding, etc... I've tried literaly all the things you all mentioned here, and nothing's better than Lemon Oil.

Just buy one bottle at a music shop, on the internet nowadays of course, the Dunlop 65 formula is cheap and can be found at any time anywhere, it's the biggest brand worldwide, plus it's easy to use. I'm new so can't post any link for now, search for the Dunlop 6554 Fretboard 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil you'll find it easily. It is the most reliable and safe product.

Pay attention to the wood's pores though: it has to be really opened grain. I've got a Viscaria blade too, bought new and my hands don't sweat, so it's ok still. Its handle got quite opened grain, so I guess it's safe to use lemon oil.

Edit: So now I can post links YAY !
https://www.thomann.de/gb/dunlop_le...iLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0=

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro and Tango K