Me playing and loosing sindrome

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also I dont know if it is a psycological thing or what but why do I loose very close to a good player but cant win a player that he beat easily...
And fun fact, most of the kids that I play with in this tournaments and others they are in the school tt team and by what I heard they train 3-5 hours every day.

When I play someone I am much better than, I mess around, have fun, make it so the games are close. Why beat someone 11-1, 11-1, 11-1 when I can work on stuff and make the match fun for both of us.

Just play, play as well as you can when you play matches. If you are playing matches, you need to spin the ball. You can't just hit flat shots and win points against players who know how to spin. At least not if you are trying to be an offensive player.

And, it might also be worth noting how, there are many points you win because you messed up and hit a weird shot that you had not intended to hit. Think about it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
When I play someone I am much better than, I mess around, have fun, make it so the games are close. Why beat someone 11-1, 11-1, 11-1 when I can work on stuff and make the match fun for both of us.

Just play, play as well as you can when you play matches. If you are playing matches, you need to spin the ball. You can't just hit flat shots and win points against players who know how to spin. At least not if you are trying to be an offensive player.

And, it might also be worth noting how, there are many points you win because you messed up and hit a weird shot that you had not intended to hit. Think about it. :)

I agree with you. Look at the footage against the blue shirt kiddo. Some points the ball just spinned out of your bat.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In which aspect of the video you think I need to get a all wood blade just curious

The fact that all your attacking shots are flat, you probably can use what you are using until you start learning how to make spin contact.

But think about how many balls you hit into the net or long.

In the long run, a blade like the Appelgren Allplay probably would be best for you. But you would hate it because you are not making any kind of spin contact so you are not using the rubbers to help the speed. So it would feel very slow indeed.

First you need to develop control. Then you need to learn to spin. When that happens, there are a lot of all wood 5 ply blades that would help you improve.

Good luck.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Someone mentioned training to spin .. I know that is not absolutely necessary to reach a reasonably good amateur level like usatt2000. I have seen players who cannot spell the word spin correctly even if you offered them a usd 1 Million prize.

Having said that, I believe it is absolutely the right way to go. Spin offers consistency, safety, and control in a much wider range of shot situations and takes pressure off you on your precision

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
When you don’t have much. There are a thousand of things. You gotta take number (1), not even number (2). You’ll understand other things later.

Regarding fast bat, if you don’t know much, sometimes you gotta take a leap of faith. To some degree, I was better than you are now when I restarted. A semi-pro told me to play with wood, I just said - ok then. I peeled off rubbers from my Viscaria and Amultart and got the PG7 & H3 commercial, which was 1/20 the price. I deliberately chose PG7 & H3 because they were dirt cheap. You said it yourself. Mental is a very important thing.

Btw, don’t play with H3. :cool: (That’s just an example)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020

Yeah, sometime when I serve the ball hits my finger and I win the point, and I would say in 11 points maybe 2 is because of hitting my fingers

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah I know the difference between smashing and brushing the brush is a gummy felling and flat hitting is a impactful feeling and I try to go for the gummy felling every time, but the ball doesnt go up, I guess is my technique

Yeah. You might think you know the difference. Intellectually you might know the difference. But your contact on almost all of your attack shots are pretty flat. You are not spinning the ball. Kuba's idea below is a good one.

Yogi_bear had a nice instructional video about learning to brush properly. Also you can try to brush the ball of the bottle without moving the bottle.

A slower blade might help you learn to have more control. But you won't like it. When you have more control you can start adding power. When you have more control, you can start to learn to really spin the ball. When you learn to spin the ball, you will be able to feel why a slower blade will help you improve. Until then, use what you want. If you want to improve, get a 5 ply, all wood, simple blade and use it.

I think you said you had access to the Xiom Offensive S and Allround S. (Don't get the Extreme S; it is way to fast to be useful to you). Either the Offensive S or the Allround S would be fine. You will like the Offensive S better even though the other will be more useful. You just won't like it. So, use what you have or get an Offensive S.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Found the video i mentioned earleir.

It is potato quality but you can see how to do it clearly. You do not need opponent for this. Heck you even do not need table..

PS: It is my 1000th post, yay.

EDIT: I spent days doing this very exercice when pandemic started, because I had nothing better to do, and it helps developing the feeling of the ball during brushing stroke.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Yeah. You might think you know the difference. Intellectually you might know the difference. But your contact on almost all of your attack shots are pretty flat. You are not spinning the ball. Kuba's idea below is a good one.

A slower blade might help you learn to have more control. But you won't like it. When you have more control you can start adding power. When you have more control, you can start to learn to really spin the ball. When you learn to spin the ball, you will be able to feel why a slower blade will help you improve. Until then, use what you want. If you want to improve, get a 5 ply, all wood, simple blade and use it.

I think you said you had access to the Xiom Offensive S and Allround S. (Don't get the Extreme S; it is way to fast to be useful to you). Either the Offensive S or the Allround S would be fine. You will like the Offensive S better even though the other will be more useful. You just won't like it. So, use what you have or get an Offensive S.
I think the reason behind I hit every ball for is because the motion of hitting flat take less time(?), and I don't prepare for the other stroke early I think

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If you have access to these various blades, you are better off listening to Kuba Hajto and Carl. They know these far better than I do. I’ve tried very few.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I think the reason behind I hit every ball for is because the motion of hitting flat take less time(?), and I don't prepare for the other stroke early I think

I would wager that you flat hit because that is what you are accustomed to.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah I know the difference between smashing and brushing the brush is a gummy felling and flat hitting is a impactful feeling and I try to go for the gummy felling every time, but the ball doesnt go up, I guess is my technique

Yogi_bear had a nice instructional video about learning to brush properly. Also you can try to brush the ball of the bottle without moving the bottle.

However you want to explain it to yourself, when you learn to spin, you start realizing you have a lot more time. When you learn to spin, you learn how to control the incoming spin. You stop hitting the ball into the net so much. You stop hitting the ball long so much. You stop hitting passive shots on balls that should be easy to attack.

So, work on control. Then learn to spin.

No matter how you want to explain it to yourself, if you are not hitting balls that have any spin on them when you serve, push and attack, during matches, then, it might be worth learning how to do at some point.

One day you will look back and see these things easily. But in TT, when you don't actually know how to do something, it seems invisible to you.

When you know how to spin, you will see it better. Watch the videos and try and watch for your attack shots. See how frequently you make attack shots. See how frequently you miss. See how often you take a passive shot instead of attacking. Watch what you are doing as closely as you can. And try and see how you contact the ball. Even listen to the sound. And then watch the little kid's offensive shots and compare.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Found the video i mentioned earleir.

It is potato quality but you can see how to do it clearly. You do not need opponent for this. Heck you even do not need table..

PS: It is my 1000th post, yay.

EDIT: I spent days doing this very exercice when pandemic started, because I had nothing better to do, and it helps developing the feeling of the ball during brushing stroke.

While carl has 10k+ posts haha

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In my training I can loop topping consistently 10 in a row, but in the actual game it doesn't seem there is enought time to loop, and I just get confused then I make a bad shot. I try to loop but there isn't enought time time me

It would be worth you watching this video. Perhaps watching it 2-3 maybe even 4 times.

In it, it explains why skills you work on in training where you are fed the ball and you just respond, knowing what was coming to you and where the ball was going to be placed is a totally different thing than learning how to do this in a situation where ball placement is random and your opponent has every reason to make it so you have trouble returning the ball.

If, in training you are doing things that you have trouble crossing over into match play, that video could help you understand why. If you get your coach to watch it and incorporate some of the ideas of random training into your coaching sessions, you may improve faster.

But the issue of crossover still might not answer why your serves and pushes have so little spin.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
In my training I can loop topping consistently 10 in a row, but in the actual game it doesn't seem there is enought time to loop, and I just get confused then I make a bad shot. I try to loop but there isn't enought time time me

You'll get there with more practice. I think squatting lower helps everyone. The closer your eyes are on level with your contact point, the better your shot quality.

Your thighs, lower back, and crotch tendons should be sore after playing.

Tattoo "Lower" on your left knee as a reminder.

Last edited:
Reactions: latej