Anyone know video coach Ti Long?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I have discovered the videos of Ti Long which have English subtitles. He is a great coach and his videos are well worth watching. In one he explains about using fingers to increase spin - some coaches mention squeezing fingers but he talks about screwing or unscrewing a bottle top to make the blade curve and grip the ball.

I would love to know his background as has his own TT centre and he is also a MMA fighter. I am not even sure what country he is from. Any ideas?

MAGIC and GHOST serve in table tennis with Ti Long | Tips And Tactics | Serve Tricks | Xoáy xuống - YouTube
How to Backhand Topspin Against Backspin | Tips and Tactics - YouTube

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
He was a national champion in my home country, Vietnam, a really proper pro. He then quit and opened his own club and trained a few juniors to become national-level junior players. I learnt a lot from his videos too. Especially he breaks down steps to learn from basic to advanced levels. (Although as usual, I’m pretty sure lots of watchers would just go to advanced steps in 1 week time :cool:)

It’s a bit both fortunate and unfortunate that a lot of professional players in the country resigned and went into developing grass root like this as they need income and there aren’t simply any international exposure in my country.

Btw, all Vietnamese techniques are Europeans, although they do training in China a lot and very likely techniques originated from China decades ago (which does tell something about how much the Chinese knows about the world’s techniques).

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Thanks for your reply Tango. Sorry to hear that players from Vietnam find it difficult to make a living. I have heard that Vietnam is doing quite well financially so perhaps money could be invested in sports.

Ti Long seems able to be totally relaxed then move quickly into a shot. A bit like the kung fu monks who can stand very still then chop a brick with their bare hand. Do you think his martial arts techniques help him and can we learn these techniques?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Thanks for your reply Tango. Sorry to hear that players from Vietnam find it difficult to make a living. I have heard that Vietnam is doing quite well financially so perhaps money could be invested in sports.

Ti Long seems able to be totally relaxed then move quickly into a shot. A bit like the kung fu monks who can stand very still then chop a brick with their bare hand. Do you think his martial arts techniques help him and can we learn these techniques?

i bet you have to ask him :cool: Im neither his level nor trained in martial art. :( but yes, relaxation is very fundamental in both. In fact, the name “innerforce” that butterfly uses for a line of blades is a literal translation of a closely-related concept in Martial Art, neigong , 內功, nội công.

Personally, I use the ability to relax at pace to measure my success in training as that is my actual purpose at the table, not the desire to win. (Which seems at odd with everybody)

you can ask another cross-training expert in our forum, UpSideDownCarl, who - I read somewhere - also trains in Yoga. Yoga, Buddism Meditation, and Chinese neigong come from the same source if my understanding of history is not too far off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
He was a national champion in my home country, Vietnam, a really proper pro. He then quit and opened his own club and trained a few juniors to become national-level junior players. I learnt a lot from his videos too. Especially he breaks down steps to learn from basic to advanced levels. (Although as usual, I’m pretty sure lots of watchers would just go to advanced steps in 1 week time :cool:)

It’s a bit both fortunate and unfortunate that a lot of professional players in the country resigned and went into developing grass root like this as they need income and there aren’t simply any international exposure in my country.

Btw, all Vietnamese techniques are Europeans, although they do training in China a lot and very likely techniques originated from China decades ago (which does tell something about how much the Chinese knows about the world’s techniques).
nice to meet you, i am from vietnam also, rarely i saw a vietnamese on this forum. <3

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I have discovered the videos of Ti Long which have English subtitles. He is a great coach and his videos are well worth watching. In one he explains about using fingers to increase spin - some coaches mention squeezing fingers but he talks about screwing or unscrewing a bottle top to make the blade curve and grip the ball.

I would love to know his background as has his own TT centre and he is also a MMA fighter. I am not even sure what country he is from. Any ideas?

MAGIC and GHOST serve in table tennis with Ti Long | Tips And Tactics | Serve Tricks | Xoáy xuống - YouTube
How to Backhand Topspin Against Backspin | Tips and Tactics - YouTube
about Ti Long coach, i dont know much about him, but on his videos you can learn step by step really well step by step. he also learn MMA and i think he also used some technique to apply in tabletennis - that is not wrong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have been a coach part time for many years and study to become a physiotherapist. Feel like kids have not so good motor control nowadays and there are many injuries in tabletennis - due to this i think it is good to try to learn from other sports, especially sports that primarly use the body. Will take a look at the videos!

says Aging is a killer
I have been a coach part time for many years and study to become a physiotherapist. Feel like kids have not so good motor control nowadays and there are many injuries in tabletennis - due to this i think it is good to try to learn from other sports, especially sports that primarly use the body. Will take a look at the videos!

Physiotherapy and TT? Good stuff. It will be good to hear from you in the future regarding TT training and exercise vs duration

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014

Ti Long was a pro player but he was never the national champion. No disrespect, great player but pretty far from being top level in Vietnam. Maybe he was good enough to be in top 20-30 in his prime.

Most Vietnamese pro players don’t have a lot of income from playing professionally, but they live pretty well with table tennis because it’s a pretty popular sport here in Vietnam. They can get decent money from coaching, tournament prizes, sponsors, selling tt stuff...

Back to Ti Long, he has a small table tennis club and is coaching young players. He’s indeed a very good coach, his young players did well in national youth championship. About the MMA/boxing thing, i think it’s just his second passion/sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Thanks for the clarification. I googled him up to see if there is something to back his claim “kiện tướng quốc gia”, found some reliable newspapers saying he got gold in some national competitions (in mixed double though). Maybe translating to “champion” wasn’t good but I did my best :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: M.Hoang
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Coincidentally tonight before reading this thread, I watched Ti Long for a first time ever and wondered how could have I missed him. I don't think I've seen so detailed explanation about the mechanics of the BH topspin against backspin

says Aging is a killer
Thanks for the clarification. I googled him up to see if there is something to back his claim “kiện tướng quốc gia”, found some reliable newspapers saying he got gold in some national competitions (in mixed double though). Maybe translating to “champion” wasn’t good but I did my best :cool:

If you think about it, most top players don't win the top singles trophies. They were strong challengers but for one reason or the other fell just short of the big ones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Coincidentally tonight before reading this thread, I watched Ti Long for a first time ever and wondered how could have I missed him. I don't think I've seen so detailed explanation about the mechanics of the BH topspin against backspin

What do you think about his advice to use your fingers to increase spin. He says to imagine screwing up, or unscrewing, the top of a bottle on its side. Some coaches talk about squeezing your fingers but Ti Long says to push your thumb forward (on backhand topspin) and pull your fingers back. This curves the bat around the ball to increase the spin. Do the experts on this forum use this technique?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
What do you think about his advice to use your fingers to increase spin. He says to imagine screwing up, or unscrewing, the top of a bottle on its side. Some coaches talk about squeezing your fingers but Ti Long says to push your thumb forward (on backhand topspin) and pull your fingers back. This curves the bat around the ball to increase the spin. Do the experts on this forum use this technique?

I’m far far from expert to reply but well... :cool:

It’s quite figurative but yes, at the end you’ll feel like all the power is concentrated into those tips. Also you feel the bat head / bat angle clearly on those tips. (I know it sounds like Chinese wuxia movies but it’s real!)

Another thing about finger tips is that it’s actually the wrist. If I think about moving the wrist in a certain way, it’s quite loose and unpredictable. Instead if I think about controlling my finger tips (either moving them or pressing them for power), I’m actually using wrist. If you are not used to it, and do it a lot in a day, you’ll feel your wrist hurts a little.