Fraser Riley - 1 - WHO IS THE BEST YOUNG PLAYER IN THE WORLD?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One of the things I find most fascinating about this thread is actually that the OP wrote so many words that, perhaps he has filled his quota for the next 5 years which is how long it has been since he made his most recent post prior to the OP of this thread.

So, does anyone have any questions you would like him to answer? If you do, fire away! :)

Here is my question. Could Fraser arrange for Adam B. to get some other job for ITTF so I don't have to listen to him losing his mind over ever shot in every match?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Will be interesting to see what Zeio wants to say about Pletea. After watching some of his matches as a junior, particularly against Moregard (and a Chinese youngster whose name escapes me now) I was expecting him to do well in the German league but he seems to have really struggled with the transistion (completely lacking in confidence on his backhand in particular).

Does Pletea get a season to adjust to this level and next season he'll show his potential as one of Europe's prospects or has he shown that he's not quite made for Europe's front row?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Fraser, thanks for this detailed post. I think it is an interesting discussion. I might suggest a little formatting or simplification as the post was not easy to read, but I got through it all and will share a few assorted thoughts:

• Harimoto was introduced the world match scene much earlier than Chinese counterparts or LYJ. His revolutionary style is optimized for the new ball and some of his early success can be partially attributed to that. Not to take anything away from him, but of the three players he has the least technically sound game so that could present issues later on. He is still young and those things can, and have begun to, change, but things remain to be seen.
  • Harimoto started at a much earlier age than Lin YJ - Lin started at 9 years old according to Adam Bobrow's interview, so, age difference may be less of a factor here.
  • One reason Harimoto didn't play the Chinese Super League is likely because of his T. League obligations, there are other reasons as well which you may know of :rolleyes:
  • Participation in the Super League shouldn't cause worry about being "exposed to the Chinese". There is already plenty of footage on them - the non-Chinese players probably benefit more from this exposure.
  • Wang Chuqin is a beast. I believe he just finished the last Super League season and won every singles match he played, several of them against top tier Chinese players.
  • Wang Chuqin has a fake age. He is 22. So, he could be on a different progress trajectory as the other two. Harimoto is still roughly 5 years younger but they all will be playing in the same generation.

As to your questions, those are the clear top 3 picks. My order would be WCQ as the top prospect, and then LYJ and Harimoto at around the same level but both below WCQ. WCQ is just too damn good and his game has no holes. Harimoto has elite strengths in some parts with glaring deficiencies elsewhere, if he can fix those up he can be elite. I don't think you putting Harimoto last of the 3 is unfair though I don't necessarily agree either - Harimoto and LYJ are of a very similar class right now and I don't think anyone could safely pick one over the other. But WCQ is the top for sure (and also the oldest).
Harimoto is chinese, Trained by Chinese coaches. Chinese genes.