Editorial: It's hard to know if an equipment change actually makes you better

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It seems I touched a nerve. Good. I stand by what I've written.

To the extent that ANYONE on a TT forum is likely to make a useful suggestion it would probably be Yogi if for no other reason that he's tried everything and he coaches amateur players. BUT, I've also noticed he's not shy about making suggestions on rubber on forums to people he's never seen play! Of course some people may also rely on Tarot cards and newspaper horoscopes.

Again, measurement is the issue, and claims that players improve with equipment changes are almost never evidence based. Obviously, different rubbers do feel different. But does it matter?

Edit added: There was once a guy at MyTT (definitely not Yogi) on some EJ thread who in all seriousness claimed that he was sure that a world top 30 player must have switched from a ZLC blade to a sZLC blade because of the trajectory of the ball coming off his blade in matches on YouTube that he was certain he could see, and his own extensive personal EJ experiences.

Ba'al has spoken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Music&Ping
Manufacturers make a huge variety of subtly different kinds of rubber and blades all designed for pretty much the same kind of player. Then they, along with "experts" on forums, convince people that there is some sort of super secret rocket science (accumulated by "experience") by which every aspect of a player's technique (or technical limitations) can be perfectly matched to this finely tuned equipment. You just need to try all their stuff until you find the right COMBINATION and ONLY THEN can you reach your "full potential"; but then they will introduce a new version with 1 degree harder sponge.....

Reality is that after a period for your brain to get used to the new thing, rubber or blade, you play like you play. Yiur motor systems will adjust to this new setup. Then you will be you. Again. Switching from ALC to ZLC will have zero impact on your level.

But, let's assume it does, a little? It is after all possible and sometimes does happen. Rarely. How would you know? Objective (quantitative) measures of your overall level take a long time to accumulate.

Be skeptical!! (Also, as Brs noted, the equipment choicess that actually do have a lasting impact entail tradeoffs!!).

I agree with all the points individually as stated, and it's good to read because it confirms for me what I think too. Except the point 3. You are not counted as forum "expert".

But still somehow the feeling remains that you have interpreted what Baal said not in the way he meant it.

It seems I touched a nerve. Good. I stand by what I've written.

To the extent that ANYONE on a TT forum is likely to make a useful suggestion it would probably be Yogi if for no other reason that he's tried everything and he coaches amateur players. BUT, I've also noticed he's not shy about making suggestions on rubber on forums to people he's never seen play! Of course some people may also rely on Tarot cards and newspaper horoscopes.

Again, measurement is the issue, and claims that players improve with equipment changes are almost never evidence based. Obviously, different rubbers do feel different. But does it matter?

Edit added: There was once a guy at MyTT (definitely not Yogi) on some EJ thread who in all seriousness claimed that he was sure that a world top 30 player must have switched from a ZLC blade to a sZLC blade because of the trajectory of the ball coming off his blade in matches on YouTube that he was certain he could see, and his own extensive personal EJ experiences.

Ba'al has spoken.

As what i have said, there are safe choices of equipment that people can start with. Sometimes, when a forumer asks about something i give the answer related to his queries with good faith that he knows what he is asking for. If he says what level he is that is good and makes the suggestion of choices easier. If he doesn't then it is not my problem. I only give info on what is asked. My reason for giving a standard safe set up is, if you are not able to handle a setup that is known and proven to be controllable and usable by certain levels then you will not be able to handle whatever equipment you will choose and should start somewhere.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have nothing against Yogi either. Not after all these years!

I am however glad that this thread has had a lot of discussion. And maybe someone using Tenergy 05 and wondering if they should buy Dignics or something (because who knows, it might help) will save their $$ for something else. A great dinner. Cool shoes. Gas for your car. Kids' college fund. Hookers and cocaine. Whatever.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have nothing against Yogi either. Not after all these years!

I am however glad that this thread has had a lot of discussion. And maybe someone using Tenergy 05 and wondering if they should buy Dignics or something (because who knows, it might help) will save their $$ for something else. A great dinner. Cool shoes. Kids' college fund. Whatever.

There is one other aspect to the whole EJ experience that I don't think has been addressed in this discussion: It's a lot of fun to try different equipment! The great majority of us here play TT because of our love for the sport, with zero aspirations or chance of going pro or reaching a high level. So in my opinion, whatever gives us more joy playing TT is all good. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

Such claims should indeed be met with skepticism. Especially if the change is "within range" (small, not drastic, in the EJ spirit as written before). Not a bigger change, like change from inverted to small pips, which has bigger impact and as you said, also it's own trade-offs, and can but does not have to make your play better! But precisely for this, that the change can't reasonably have this big impact, I thought it is relatively harmless. I know that you are arguing for less equipment change, and most likely you are right. We really do not need to know the whole elephant, and that is also not what I recommend. It is enough when some does and tells you how far is eye from ear if you ask. That different rubbers feel different matters when the difference is big. E.g. having bouncy fast rubbers is contra-productive, and in so far it matters. But that is a kind of drastic change, which you didn't mean. Now when you you have 2 rubbers which are similar, similar hardness, similar sponge, they still feel a bit different. Yes you can say it doesn't matter, in some aspect it even can't matter. But still you can enjoy the difference. The situation is that in any sub-sub-category you have 30 similar rubbers. Yes, optimum is pick one and stay, of course only training matters. But I at least now prefer to try some of those 30 rubbers, which are close to each other, and I think many other people do too. Again, it is useful to hear from time to time, that it is useless what we do, I agree.

I don't want to touch the "measurement" point, it is difficult.

Regarding the "exchange" between you two - I am new here - so I have a bit misinterpreted myself.

Well, trying new equipment do give us a certain "high moment" which admittedly i do always have the chance than most people in the world.

On a serious side, i only go by certain few but practical principles such as better handling and control with also quality of shots then that is good enough for me. From experience, i remember supporting a college team thru equipment and also training due to the coach being a good friend of mine in which before i gave them my adidas supplies (yes there was an Adidas line of tt products before) regularly among other brands that i have, their play was above average but it was until they shifted to Adidas P7 and some Adidas blades that they obviously have faster shots and also could stay farther away from the table compared to when they were using cheap RITC and Globw brands before. The development of a player can be improved faster if they have equipment they are comfortable using. Using rubbers for example that will help you lessen the strain of exerting more muscle power
is a good thing with the right control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I don't change a lot my equipment, and i'm not an EJ

but the 2 latest changes i've done have been very beneficial to me:

- my Korbel was too old anyway, i had played more than 10 years with Butterfly Korbel (and more than 5 ? 7? with this blade) and a friend who's better than me about equipment told me to change. I took the chance to upgrade to the Acoustic Inner from Nittaku. I had a lot of problems when trying any carbon blade before, but with this one the touch felt very similar to the Korbel while having more speed and more control in the short game.

- a short while later, SpinArt which i had used many many years for BH wasn't for sale anymore and i was forced to change. I first thought of Dignics09C but it wasn't for sale yet, so i picked up the Dignics80 (I'm playing already with T80 on FH) for my BH. and i don't regret it ! everything is so easy with the D80 and it suits my style of taking the ball early in rallies, and very easy for the short game and loop.

I tried my old setup recently on a day I forgot my bat. It was impossible to play with it anymore especially with the BH side. it felt impossible to put the same amount of spin without making a much bigger swing which causes timing problems + puts me late for the next ball. The FH side was playable still (both T80), I had less power with the Korbel but it felt safer on FH block but overall there is not much merit to that for my style

--> I think I improved with the new setup which clearly help me improved and has better characteristics for my game BUT it is also because i receive proper coaching.

Reactions: latej
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
My thought for today:

Cost of a bottle of St. Emilion and some foi gras < two sheets of Dignics.

I know I'll like one. I'm not sure about the other.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
When I want to ej I go to the other TT forum and buy used gear. I try it for 1 - 10 hours, don't like it, and sell it on to the next ej for $5 - $20 less than I paid for it. If you want to try a $150 blade you don't have to pay for it. Just lease it for a session or two. Same with Dignics09c. It didn't cost me $100 or whatever to try and not like it, more like $10.

What's the harm in that?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
And this is why I dont seek any improvement via gear. I simply want new toy, track my shipment, unpack, smell it and glue it. If I wanted to compare, measure and evaluate a ton of characteristics and numbers, I would go get a new golf driver :-D

Moreover, many threads on TT forums have an underlying basis of people seeking approval for their acquisition of new toys.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto