Editorial: It's hard to know if an equipment change actually makes you better

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
And this is why I dont seek any improvement via gear. I simply want new toy, track my shipment, unpack, smell it and glue it. If I wanted to compare, measure and evaluate a ton of characteristics and numbers, I would go get a new golf driver :-D

YEP !!! I can dig this.
But then ever so often some player hands you his blade and says :"here try the backhand flip with this ".......and then for the first time in your life you do one heck of a beauty of a BH flip.
Then of course it will be time to buy at least some new rubber ;););)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
My 2 cents:

Yes I'm guilty of being an EJ :D

What has this Journey taught me?

1. True, the differences between same segment rubbers (Tenergy vs MXP vs R47) are marginal at best.
It won't make you go up a level.
Wat it can do is give you a good feeling while playing, some rubbers give you a better feel while playing and "feel" right for you. this of course, can not be categorized en is entirely subjective per player.
For instance MXP felt really bad for me and R47,Tenergy 05 I really liked.

2. What is not subjective is durability , there is some real crap out there in terms of durability.
I'm looking at you ESN!

I tried lot's of ESN rubbers in search of a Tenergy alternative.
And a few of them were REALLY bad in terms of durability. While Tenergy retains decent Quality for about 3 to 4 months for me ( I play 3 to 4 times week ).
Off course a new Tenergy feels better then a 4 month old one but the difference was not large.
While some ESN rubbers were literally worn down after only 4 to 5 weeks.

For example: I had a bat with Dynaryz AGR and R48 and the Dynaryz AGR kept decent quality but the r48 was crap and I had to replace it early.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Caught me :). When the hunter suddenly becomes the huntee, it ain't fun anymore, but it feels right. Right???

Dude, there is absolutely ZERO CHANCE of Der_Echte enjoying his lady shutting him out of house and ordering him to kick rocks.

Well, there is also zero chance I would go out to party to get in that kind of trouble either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Dude, there is absolutely ZERO CHANCE of Der_Echte enjoying his lady shutting him out of house and ordering him to kick rocks.

Well, there is also zero chance I would go out to party to get in that kind of trouble either.

It sounds like thunder in storm.

(I really would be honored if we can take it outside.)

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
My thought for today:

Cost of a bottle of St. Emilion and some foi gras < two sheets of Dignics.

I know I'll like one. I'm not sure about the other.

I'm vegan and a strict anti-alcohol guy, yeah... call me "straight edge" ;)

2 sheets of shit rubbers will always be better then !