This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Indeed, at a given slow/mid tempo, say 120 BPM, you will work on resistancy with those 30 bars at ... indeed like Carl said, 4 beats per bar, so one bar has for example that motion:
1 hit - 2 move and prepare - 3 hit - 4 move and prepare

When you increase the tempo, with the same amount of bars it takes less time: 30 bars @ 120 BPM won't last the same time as 150 BPM obviously. So it becomes more of a speed training.

For instance, when I work with music tunes, when I want to focus on speed, I'll play "Tenor Madness" and do my footwork drills for only 12 bars @ 176 BPM ! and in that case indeed we're in the "speed" time lapse. When working on a slower tune, I increase the amount of bars, and work on resistancy.

My picture is more complete now. I couldn't connect it to the actual ball hits. But you are speaking about virtual hits. I can imagine now that you can do these sequences in the precise rhythm, while it plays in your head.

With robot if you set "random" the balls don't come to the same point, so the rhythm is not precise. Maybe it would disturb you as a musician. Also the only definite point there is the hit (1 beat in bar). I'm not sure where exactly I am a the 2nd beat in the bar (in case the 3rd is hit again).

But nevertheless, it's interesting perspective. Almost like you can't do otherwise but hear it.

Reactions: Music&Ping
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Yeah of course I didn't mention it was ghost practice only: no robot, no table, only footwork drills using the width of a table. I started doing this cos' I don't have the space enough in my tiny 1 room appartement for a table and a robot.

Robot softwares are indeed not built with that rhythm concept in mind, so obviously not the same deal if you want to use a robot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
if you work technic you should program a quite speed to focus on the technique (have time to do the gesture well to automate it)
For speed, you need to increase. However the work must be qualitative (no more than 50% faults).
try a free session with us on january 17th
https://cardiofitping.systeme.io/essg-ea6f2a0b

Thank you for the answer. So far for Falkenberg I used 65 BPM, 30/50 mode. I'll try to reduce to say 15/30. That you pointed to that aspect, shortening the time, might be helpful. I hope your program will be succesful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Ok so with my music concept if you hit a ball every 65 BPM's beat, it's 130 BPM to include move+prep beat.

I also got a more complete picture of it ;)

edit: like this

1st beat hit (1 and: move and prep) 2nd beat hit (2 and: move and prep) in 65 BPM
1st beat hit 2nd beat move and prep 3rd beat hit 4th beat move and prep in 130 BPM

it's only the metric changing but the speed is the same ;-)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Ok so with my music concept if you hit a ball every 65 BPM's beat, it's 130 BPM to include move+prep beat.

I also got a more complete picture of it ;)

I usually do FH drive at 70-75 BPM (2 slightly diff. balls + "random" so each is a bit varied, more like 75). Then BH drive at same speed for warmup. The 2BH 2FH also in this tempo but more like 70, also this is not drive but topspin. Falkenberg is harder, so I reduce, sometimes I do 60. The loop on backspin exercises mostly at 50, or less. I also try random location FH/BH at 85, sometimes 90. This is kind of brutal, lot of failures.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
1st beat hit (1 and: move and prep) 2nd beat hit (2 and: move and prep) in 65 BPM
1st beat hit 2nd beat move and prep 3rd beat hit 4th beat move and prep in 130 BPM

I got it. Next time I'll try to identify where I am at 2nd and 4th beat, assuming I'll be successful in playing the beat in head.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The "table tennis energy chain"?

Sounds very "sciency". I have no idea what the OP means by this. Probably just muscles and movements relevant to TT.

But people have to make a living somehow, and high intensity workouts can help people. So good luck.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I get it indeed: when I train 2FH 2 BH drives only over Tenor Madness (176 BPM --> /2 for you so 88 on your robot) or take 1 of But Not For Me (204 BPM ! 102 for your robot) I can't stand more than 12 or 16 bars, means 14 to 18 seconds only !

Good motivation! And thanks for translating these crazy bars to seconds :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Good motivation! And thanks for translating these crazy bars to seconds :)

" Listening to music while exercising doesn’t just relieve boredom — it can help improve the quality of your workout by increasing your stamina and putting you in a better mood.[SUP][1][/SUP] In particular, music that is motivational or synchronized with your exercise is shown to have physical and psychological effects.[SUP][2][/SUP] When a song has a strong, steady beat, for example, you can pedal or run to the beat of that music, which tends to feel satisfying and may inspire you to exercise more. The lyrics or catchy rhythm of motivational music inspires you to exercise longer or work harder during your exercise routine.
Several studies have shown how the exact tempo, as measured in beats per minute, affects one’s level of exercise. These studies determined that the ideal tempo necessary for maximum performance depends on the type of exercise."

in https://www.center4research.org/can-listening-music-improve-workout/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
It has really helped me to restart TT after a long 15 years break: I was completely un-synchronized.

So I took it the same way I teach my music students: slow tempo first, think consciously about all the even tiniest movements playing a single note requires.

So I've been setting the metronome slow at the very beginning, breaking down all the footwork moves into elements, and then increasing the tempo when it was ok.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
yes it is very difficult
But if you work 2 times per week, you will progress quickly
Physical training is very important for table tennis : win 1 fraction of secondes changes everything !
look this video;you can train with us from home by video-conference
where do you play?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Baal where are you come from?
Can you play now with the sanatary context?
look this video, the last video was be deleted

Come on. You posted this video already.

And if you actually spent time on the forum you would get to know who you are talking to. Baal is the moderator of another International TT forum. Baal has been playing TT at least since the 1970s. And Baal is considerably higher level than approximately 85+% of forum members.

It is also worth being able to read when something was said as a joke. Read what Baal wrote. Try and figure out what he actually meant.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Sadly no, I can't play where I live. It has been a Covid disaster in Texas. I haven't played in months. March I think. I'm getting fast on my road bike and I sometimes play TT in my dreams.