viscaria

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Butterfly started with this serial-numbers in 2006, using a "G" as first letter of the serial-number, continuing the alphabet at the beginning of each year. This means, that Butterfly blades in 2007 got a H, 2008 an I ... up to the U in 2020.

I have not bought a Butterfly blade in 2021 up to now, but I am sure the serial number will start with a V this year. But do you really want to know the "average" weight of the Viscaria in 2021? And you ask this question on the 6th of January? In a time where all halls are closed and only a few EJ`s with a private table buy a new blade?

Well, maybe Butterfly already sold 1 Viscaria this year. In this case the weight of this blade is also the "average" weight. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Bought one new in November ‘20, letter U 86g. Didn’t use it though cos’ it’s still lockdown in sports arenas for +18 people.

And yes TBS is basically the same thing, same woods composition, some say the wings are different like the TB ALC... I don’t know to be honest.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This to me sounds like one of those little kids who keeps asking a new question before they have heard the answer to the previous question. Who is the tallest? Why? Who was the shortest? How short?

Viscaria, TB ALC, TB Spirit (and there are a few other Butterfly blades) have the same ply construction, the same thickness and are very close to the same. The main differences are the handle, the wings, and the shape of the blade face. Some say that the TB ALC (or both ALC and Spirit) have had a hardening process done to the top ply so they are slightly harder.

But, if you played with 10 of each, of varying weights, the ones that were closer in weight would feel more similar even though different blades, than the ones with weight differences. So, an 82 gram Viscaria compared to a 94 gram Viscaria will feel more different than an 82 gram Viscaria and an 82 gram TBSpirit or a 94 gram Vis compared to a 94 gram TBSpirit. Said differently, an 82 gram Vis and and 82 gram TBSpirit will feel closer to the same than either will feel to its 94 gram counterpart. However, all of them will feel like relatives, brothers, cousins.....

And it is worth noting, just a difference in the handle and the profile of the blade face would actually cause a big difference in how the blade felt to the person holding it.

As far as weight, this isn't for Viscarias from 2021, or from 2020 but from over the years. I have seen Viscarias that weighed as little as 79 grams. I have seen ones that weighed as much as 98 grams. This is because wood is a substance that once was alive. So, even if you have a wood that is the same kind of wood, cut in a sheet that is the same size and thickness, there will be decently large differences in weight.

For me, the Viscarias that I have felt that were under 86 grams felt like something was missing. To me they did not feel good. The ones that felt the best were between 89-93 grams. But I also like heavy blades. So what you like and what I like may be different.

Unfortunately, talking about equipment on the internet has a side to it that is a bit hollow and empty. I am not saying anything is wrong with it. But, too much thinking about things you don't have, and too much hearing other people trying to describe things they have or like, that you don't have, it can make you want something that, if you tried it, you may or may not like. But either way, equipment is not as important as practice. And the best way to try different equipment is to get the people you play with to let you try their gear; that works much better than reading what other people think on the internet. :)

In another thread you asked about an Avalox P-500 and another Avalox blade. Kong Linghui used the P-500 to win a WTTC singles title (World Championship). Back then it was a good blade. For me, it is still a good blade. The DHS Hurricane King, is very similar. After that WTTC win, Butterfly signed him and made a blade with Kong Linghui's name. It is the same plies and somewhat similar to the P-500. The old Stiga Offensive Classic (when it had a Koto top ply) was the the same plies and very similar also. The current Stiga Offensive Classic is not too different, but it has a Limba top ply, so, more like the blades Waldner used back then than the blades Kong Linghui used.

But any of those blades is also good. Back in the mid-90s, those would have been considered Off blades. These days they might be considered somewhere between All+ and Off- as a result of the changes in ball size and material that cause the ball to be slower (which, ironically has allowed TT companies to make faster blades and rubbers and allowed TT players to hit harder with less finesse and so, has actually caused TT to be faster in spite of the slower ball). :)

Choose a blade that is not too fast for you and STICK WITH ONE. The differences are not worth worrying about. If you use one blade with one set of rubbers consistently for several years, AND FOCUS ON TRAINING AND IMPROVING, rather than equipment, YOU WILL IMPROVE CONSIDERABLY MORE than if you try to focus on finding just the right equipment. Your game will develop around the equipment you choose provided you are not using something that is way too fast for you.

Interestingly, nothing bad would happen to your play skills if you used something too slow for you. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
As far as weight, this isn't for Viscarias from 2021, or from 2020 but from over the years. I have seen Viscarias that weighed as little as 79 grams. I have seen ones that weighed as much as 98 grams. This is because wood is a substance that once was alive. So, even if you have a wood that is the same kind of wood, cut in a sheet that is the same size and thickness, there will be decently large differences in weight.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve adressed that issue in the Darker’s handles thread recently. The moisture ratio will surely decrease in decades on the blade’s surface, but can also be increased by the hand’s sweat in the handle ! This might modify the informations your hand will receive in terms of vibrations and general feel. It depends on HOW the wood has been cut (quartersawn? flatsawn ?) WHEN it has been cut and processed to be assembled (how long did the wood dry ? has it been assembled in the summer when the weather is dry or in November when the climate is wet ?).

Ask pro musicians seeking vintage instruments: recently Marcus Miller sold all his Foderas, each of those instruments is no less than 8K to 15K bucks ! to buy dozens of vintage Fender jazz basses, only to keep the 6 or 7 ones that would match the exact tone and feel he was looking for ! it’s insane and crazy.

About the moisture/date of built: I’ve got a custom bass made buy an independent luthier, 2400 bucks. 2 years later, problem happens: sharp fret ends, meaning the frets were going to literaly cut my finger cos’ they were exceeded the neck width. It happened in summer, where I was living the climate was dry, and the instrument has been buit in springtime near the sea. In fall time or spring, more wet climate, more moisture, the wood « inflates » and the frets goes back in the fretboard.

So yeah, don’t overestimate those parameters or it will drive you crazy. It’s only few bucks after all compared to a 1 Million Stradivarius...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. There is more than just moisture to the different weight issues. But....moisture is a factor as well.

I was smiling about the dryer in summer, more humidity in fall, spring, winter categorizations. :) Where I am from Summer usually very humid. Cooler months are usually much dryer. But....those things can switch around as well. So.....this also depends.

But, the idea is that without moisture differences, wood can drastically vary in weight. With moisture differences, this can be accentuated. :)

But it does not change the fact that trying new things can be fun, but is not productive to TT skill development. And the least expensive and least time consuming way to find out info on different equipment is to get your club mates to let you try their gear. :) But, still, keep using what you have unless it is notably too fast for you. And a Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon is really not super fast. So, likely, it is fine.

Last edited: