Back to Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. palguay is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 9 28
    P
    palguay is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 9

    User Info Menu


    Mar 2016
    India
    28
    9
    127
    Read 0 Reviews
    #1

    OpenAI and table tennis

    I got access to OpenAI, For those of who are not familiar. OpenAI GPT-3 is a language model whose performance is on par with the best language models for text generation. Here are a few experiments I have been doing with it and is pretty impressive. Do you guys have some questions or suggestions to try on?

    Maybe at some point I can integrate this in our Pongfox Smart Table tennis robot











    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by palguay; 01-06-2021 at 05:35 AM.

  2. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 322 668
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 668 322

    User Info Menu

    #2
    Garbage! The 0X version of T05? Since when does T05 come without sponge.
    What is a tensor rating? What are the units?

    Hit the ball higher?

    OpenAI must of scanned a TT forum full of myths.

    The Following 2 Users Like brokenball's Post:

    Der_Echte and UpSideDownCarl


  3. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,578 14,036
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,036 15,578
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    Garbage! The 0X version of T05? Since when does T05 come without sponge.
    What is a tensor rating? What are the units?

    Hit the ball higher?

    OpenAI must of scanned a TT forum full of myths.
    When I read that, I wondered if you would find your way here. Still, I though a decent amount of what you just said.

    hahahahaha.
    Spin Everything.

  4. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,455 10,289
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,289 10,455

    User Info Menu

    #4
    I hit the like button on BBs post, because there are many factors in impact and a robot or AI is not gunna explainthem all... but there may still be value from examining things as op has.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  5. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 322 668
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 668 322

    User Info Menu

    #5
    OK, I looked into OpenAI GPT-3. It is still immature but I am sure it will get better. One of the problems is the old "garbage in, garbage out" problem. Neural nets and knowledge bases need to be fed correct data.
    I blame the poor results above on bad source data and much of it comes from TT forum and manufacturers.

    Anyway, I want to thank palguay for making me aware of this project. If I get access to a natural language processor that can truly have a clue then I have years of magazine articles that I have written that could be fed into the OpenAI knowledge base for my company's use and maybe my customers. I would apply this to motion control and control theory.

    Lawyers, law firms, already have access to knowledge bases for searching case law. At lot of cases can be simply looked up because the same kind of case was done before. All the arguments and the results are know. However, there are new cases that don't quite fit what has happened before. Being able to search for similar cases is handy.

    I don't see where OpenAI will be very handy for table tennis. I do think it will enable intelligent machines to replace more people. I am 67 and retired now. It amazes me how many people are worried about what rubber or blade to buy today and not how they are going to afford it in the future.

    The Following 2 Users Like brokenball's Post:

    latej and phorkyas


  6. latej is offline
    says Hips 1st
     
    Established TTD Member 85 154
    L
    latej is offline
    says Hips 1st
     
    Established TTD Member 154 85
    #6
    Don't speak to it. Don't speak to higher level intelligence. It may recognize you are inferior, and you don't know what happens then.

    The only higher level intelligence you are allowed to speak to are the table tennis gods. They are benevolent, and will not destroy you. They may even feel pity and compassion on good days.

    Slightly more serious:
    https://bdtechtalks.com/2020/08/17/o...commercial-ai/

    It's interesting to see how much the training of such huge net costs and how much energy it takes. But that is a detail...

    P.S. Poor Carl, already now fighting bots. Imagine where this will evolve. How about using "good" AI against the "bad" AI, soon or later...

    The Following User Likes latej's Post:

    phorkyas


  7. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,578 14,036
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,036 15,578
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by latej
    P.S. Poor Carl, already now fighting bots. Imagine where this will evolve. How about using "good" AI against the "bad" AI, soon or later...
    I delete 50-150 spambot accounts on any day where I take the time to look for them. I have ways of finding them.

    However, here, read this:

    Spam-O-Matic Statistics

    345620 Spammers Denied Registration
    2140 Spammers Permanently Banned
    5088 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated


    That is the stats from the site's AI that is used to catch spam accounts. So, yeah, AI used to catch AI....been there, done that, got the free tee shirt.
    Spin Everything.

  8. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 322 668
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 668 322

    User Info Menu

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by latej
    Don't speak to it. Don't speak to higher level intelligence. It may recognize you are inferior, and you don't know what happens then.

    The only higher level intelligence you are allowed to speak to are the table tennis gods. They are benevolent, and will not destroy you. They may even feel pity and compassion on good days.

    Slightly more serious:
    https://bdtechtalks.com/2020/08/17/o...commercial-ai/

    It's interesting to see how much the training of such huge net costs and how much energy it takes. But that is a detail...

    P.S. Poor Carl, already now fighting bots. Imagine where this will evolve. How about using "good" AI against the "bad" AI, soon or later...
    Too late but I am not bot.
    https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos...ine%20Demo.mp4
    My company deals in automation and AI or optimization. I know our machines replace people.
    The video shows scanning potato strips and knives that cut out the defect of potato strips.
    It was hot and miserable work in the summer.

    The young people on this form need to worry more about how they will compete against the robot and smart machines that other TT players.

    The world is changing 50% have an IQ of below 50%. What do you do with the lower 50%.It makes no difference is you make college free to them. They will still be the lower 50%.

  9. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,455 10,289
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,289 10,455

    User Info Menu

    #9
    BB, people can change, a few of the jokers studying may become the next Thomas Sowell... but yeah, at the end of the day, out of a population of 100%, there will be a bottom 50% even if 100% of a nation has a college diploma.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  10. latej is offline
    says Hips 1st
     
    Established TTD Member 85 154
    L
    latej is offline
    says Hips 1st
     
    Established TTD Member 154 85
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    The young people on this form need to worry more about how they will compete against the robot and smart machines that other TT players.
    :-) By that time we may also develop a kind of training suit, which will give you feedback on those parts of the body which don't move optimally. Imagine wearing such Ma Long suit.

  11. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 322 668
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 668 322

    User Info Menu

    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    BB, people can change, a few of the jokers studying may become the next Thomas Sowell... but yeah, at the end of the day, out of a population of 100%, there will be a bottom 50% even if 100% of a nation has a college diploma.
    This wisdom seems to have eluded the politicians that want to make college free for everybody.

  12. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 322 668
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 668 322

    User Info Menu

    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by latej
    :-) By that time we may also develop a kind of training suit, which will give you feedback on those parts of the body which don't move optimally. Imagine wearing such Ma Long suit.
    Think of the technology that would be required to make such a suit. All you want it to do is play table tennis? Where is the return on investment? I am sure the militaries of the world would have different ideas.

  13. latej is offline
    says Hips 1st
     
    Established TTD Member 85 154
    L
    latej is offline
    says Hips 1st
     
    Established TTD Member 154 85
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    Think of the technology that would be required to make such a suit. All you want it to do is play table tennis? Where is the return on investment? I am sure the militaries of the world would have different ideas.
    Yes, you are correct. (edited)
    Last edited by latej; 01-08-2021 at 09:37 PM.

  14. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 322 668
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 668 322

    User Info Menu

    #14
    @Palguay, I have been thinking about it. I saw a webpage with python code that shows how to get the gpt-3 source code from git hub. Is that what you did?
    The problem is training the software with good information and knowing how to tweak the algorithms.

    I have a data base of text. It would be easy enough to just search for what one wants using a search engine but I would like to try this.
    Something that isn't well known is that one can search websites and forums using Google search
    if I type
    brockenball site:tabletennisdaily.com/forum
    I can find all my posts or on this forum
    The problem is that I need to make all the data I want to search public so Google's web crawler can find it.


  15. palguay is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 9 28
    P
    palguay is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 9

    User Info Menu


    Mar 2016
    India
    28
    9
    127
    Read 0 Reviews
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenball
    @Palguay, I have been thinking about it. I saw a webpage with python code that shows how to get the gpt-3 source code from git hub. Is that what you did?
    The problem is training the software with good information and knowing how to tweak the algorithms.

    I have a data base of text. It would be easy enough to just search for what one wants using a search engine but I would like to try this.
    Something that isn't well known is that one can search websites and forums using Google search
    if I type
    brockenball site:tabletennisdaily.com/forum
    I can find all my posts or on this forum
    The problem is that I need to make all the data I want to search public so Google's web crawler can find it.

    No I just used the default playground provided by openAI. OpenAI is already trained we cannot train it with our data, we can provide context and it seems to be pretty good at using that to provide answers. Let me know if you have any questions


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.