Kim Jung Hoon Discusses a DIFFERENT approach to Chakita flips

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@Lula, here is a vid where a prominent female Korean TT Youtuber visits a club to help advertize. (She does this for a lot fo clubs)

This is a more modern club in a richer area of Seoul where you will see some more younger people, even the ladies play. A regular older club with have a HUGE amount of ladies, but usually every one of them 40-60 yrs old.

It costs 60 Euros a month to play there every day the entire month and the club is open 12+hrs a day every day.

Here is here walkthrough of Kim Taek Soo's large club south of Seoul.
Here is a newer club a lot more representative of what playing population you would expect at a Korean amateur TT club. The facility has more modern stuff like showers a lot of clubs do not have.

• Love
Reactions: Lula
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Since @Lula really hates on vids of amateur Asian TT ladies playing... here is a recent clip of a modern club with a LADIES LEAGUE at the club. They prolly pay a small price to fund the top three prizes.

These are Div 4 and Div 5 singles class. 6 players, two tables, 2 keeping score. Name of Youtube channel is I LUV PING PONG. Vid is 2+ hrs long showing all 15 matches if this is indeed round robin. At the end, they say they gunna do another broadcast next week.

• Love
Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
Musaab, maybe what KJH explained helps, but i would also say knowing ball will land somewhere near a target and that you may have more determination or confidence to attack also help out the percentages some, maybe even a lot.

In training I play against ppl I know and I kinda know their serves' spin and locations. In doubles I play everytime against ppl I don't really know but as you stated, the serve has to be somewhere into my right side. I still get huge success rate to my Chiquita in doubles. I blv what the coach said in this video is extremly relevant. I guess to make sure I need to start applying this into single matches or just out right try it in an guided excerice.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Musaab, Another thing I have seen KHJ emphasize is of course taking the ball on its descent, sometimes just a few cm above the table. Knowing that and knowing your basic biomechanics is nice, but one still has to get the tiing and rhythm right.

After I thought about this, I tried to figure out how to communicate this to a Pastor I train... in a manner he could intuitively hear and apply. I had him hit a few short underspin to me and I tried out various times where I took my step and flipped after my foot plant.

I came up with TWO reference points for me to initiate my step to the spot to flip. I called these the "GO" point(s). That means when you see the ball at this point, you need to "GO". Doing it like that is a way to do this unconsciously... all you gotta do is tell yourself NOW and do it. Thinking consciously more difficult that that is dificult and is not very effective in a match. (pun intended)

1 - If I simply get to the spot and flip, I do not step until the ball has bounced on opponents side and is almost at the net. This may not seem sensible to many, but stepping earlier than this will get you to your spot too early and you are tempted to use banana flip when ball is too high... you end up with errors or hitting out if you get there early and get into your shot.

2 - If I want to do it KJH way (and get there a little early and "Track" the ball... then I step shortly after the ball bounces on opponent's side... I would step too far to the right (as a right handed player) then pivot on my ankles and waist to lean into position and do the flip when ball is a few cm above table. I do not really need a backswing (like you would need with any stroke) as the body moving me and the strike zone as ball moves is enough initial inertia to borrow and use effectively.

I think when you do it enough, you will have figured out your own "GO" timing.

Reactions: Musaab
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@Lula,

Here is a pic of the Swedish dude who visited my Korean club when I was in Korea, I convinced him to ride the subway an hour. Ladies at teh club wanted him real bad.

https://scontent.fsac1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/1082588_492686687475453_1437411053_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=bkNAI3i5FNsAX9zw1Bc&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.fna&oh=00_AT8fc7nmQRaRcstvV973IYVMeme8dXxdc7jWbG4Rh8PVPw&oe=61F6C4C5

Sweden%20Johan%202013%20LSSTTC%20Visit%20jpg.jpeg