Why are 7 plys limba-ayous-a-a-a so popular?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I have been holding this question for a long time since I learned about different types of blades. Blades like Tibhar samsonov black edition, stiga clcr, dhs pg7, dhs ma long 3, yasaka w7, sanwei fextra (sanwei says that it is limba-limba-ayous, but some people say is just limba-ayous), and some others, all of them has the same composition and the majority the red dyied ayous layer but different thickness, and I wonder why they are so popular, is it because of the popularity of the stiga cl?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I have been holding this question for a long time since I learned about different types of blades. Blades like Tibhar samsonov black edition, stiga clcr, dhs pg7, dhs ma long 3, yasaka w7, sanwei fextra (sanwei says that it is limba-limba-ayous, but some people say is just limba-ayous), and some others, all of them has the same composition and the majority the red dyied ayous layer but different thickness, and I wonder why they are so popular, is it because of the popularity of the stiga cl?
I didnt understand either... until I tried Clipper CR... :cool:

Riding on this topic, how should one pick a good Clipper? CR? WRB? weight?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Stiga clipper has 3 different versions
Regular clipper
CLCR- they put the blade under uv light and make the toplayer harder, then faster than clipper
clcr wrb- If i am not wrong wrb they make the handle lighter by carving the wood out of the handle (the explanation is wrong, but you get the idea and please tell me how to write this right),

I am talking about the various limba-ayous-ayous-ayous blades because there are so many of this composition and not so many others 7 ply all wood compositiona

Sorry i should have expounded more. What i mean is that composition is popular since it is a proven wood combination that inspite being an all wood blade combined with modern rubbers, it is a fast but controllable set up (all limba ayous 7 ply blades). The wood ply combination also does not discriminate what rubbers you use that is why a lot of brands adapted the design.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Sorry i should have expounded more. What i mean is that composition is popular sibcw it is a proven wood combination that inspite beibf an all wood blade combined with modern rubbers, it is a fast but controllable set up (all limba ayous 7 ply blades). The wood ply combination also does not discriminate what rubbers you use that is why a lot of brands adapted the design.
thanks for the explanation yogi

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
1- because of loopers and pushers: those woods generate a longer dwell time than others. And those kind of players are the vast majority of players around the world.

2- as yogi said, it is a "safe" combination that allows to put some top stiffer and harder veneer like koto or even ebony like the Cornilleau Gatien Absolum OFF+ Simon Gauzy used before his Andro Gauzy SL OFF that has the exact same combination of woods with many ayous layers, also a red core one. It's also safe with synthetic materials such as all those carbons and polymers layers, say ALC, ZLC and so on...

3- Limba and Ayous are very similar, but Ayous allows for harder treatments (heat) to modify some its characteristics, that's also why you'll find many combinations using both. That's why this wood is used to build saunas for example.

Last edited:
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
More feeling (= advantageous in short game), slightly longer dwell time (= more spin), and quite powerful. Pro-players have superior feeling, even with carbon blades, and therefore can use those. Many of us mortals can do better with 7-ply blades imho.