Does playing csgo increase the reflex in tt?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Not the same muscle memory, the brain does not process the same way, plus: you don't move your feet, you're... sittting. Even for disabled TT players the spinal column plays a major part in reflexes, the only reflexes you activate in video games are the ones requiring your fingers. Sure you get some quick vision of details in FPS games, but it does not help move your wrist, your feet or your spinal column.

I've had the same discussion with people thinking they could be killer guitarists just by playing Guitar Hero, some of them learned the guitar or bass for some months... and at the final they were not better than any music beginner who didn't play Guitar Hero.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Not the same muscle memory, the brain does not process the same way, plus: you don't move your feet, you're... sittting. Even for disabled TT players the spinal column plays a major part in reflexes, the only reflexes you activate in video games are the ones requiring your fingers. Sure you get some quick vision of details in FPS games, but it does not help move your wrist, your feet or your spinal column.

I've had the same discussion with people thinking they could be killer guitarists just by playing Guitar Hero, some of them learned the guitar or bass for some months... and at the final they were not better than any music beginner who didn't play Guitar Hero.
Hahaha, same with learning to cook by playing cooking mama and become neymar by playing fifa

says Ballin
Hi,

CS is in many ways like TT or other competetive games imo. You play countless hours to git gud. ;D

First: I dont think seeing some pixels shift from one color to another and reacting to it with a fast movement on your table helps you that much in tt.
There are other factors that I would like to compare:
First both TT and CS are games. Some tend to rage if they lose. If u invest much time in competetive games you learn to how to deal with a loss.
You learn to warm up.
You also learn that you have to train things that you are bad at.
You also need to be prepared for more than one opponent moves If you prepare your own play sloppy.

A point in cs I like is predicting things with small hints your opposing player gifts you (Body language, movement, etc.).
Also tactics luring people into actions they dont intend (eg. fakes).
Learnig new tricks (standard, unknown, funny stuff or meta play) is super satisfying.
Read bad habits and use them or look for bad habits on your play and try not to do them or use them to your advantage.
These are things you could use to take your game (not only TT) to the next level.

But the most important thing is to stay positive. If you are mad in cs you affect your team and your play in a negative way. You lose points that could be won. In TT you could affect your Teammates on the next table. You rush and force errors. You cramp up and start missing your shots.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think, something to be understood is, people who talk about reflexes in TT may not be on the right track.

What you are looking to do is improve recovery time, preparedness, planning, anticipation, brain processing, reading skills (reading the spin, the angle of the opponent's racket as it contacts the ball, the spin imparted on the ball, the ark the ball will take as a result of the contact, how the ball will curve and kick, how to counter the spin on the ball.....etc, etc). Those skills also need to be developed for TABLE TENNIS. Because if you have those skills for something else, they won't immediately transfer to TT.

From a technical standpoint, when people are talking about making their reflexes faster, the actual issue for them is often that their reset is not fast enough, and that they don't have the other brain processing and reading skills that are specific to TT. For instance, ideally, for TT, when you take a shot, you should be reset and in the ready position BEFORE YOUR SHOT LANDS ON THE OPPONENT'S SIDE OF THE TABLE. If you do this, you can be set to WATCH, while your opponent MAKES HIS SHOT so you can respond to it based on reading what he did and make choices about how you respond to the incoming shot.

When you are reset before your ball lands on your opponent's side of the table, you have A LOT OF TIME TO PREPARE, MOVE TO AND BE READY for the shot that is coming at you.

But most TT players who are mid-level or lower, do not think of the reset as part of the stroke and, as a result, do not reset ANYWHERE NEAR FAST ENOUGH. Which ends up meaning they wonder why they have so little time to respond to the ball coming at them.

When you practice your strokes, you should not think the stroke is done until you are in the ready position for the next shot. The ready position for the next shot IS NOT THE BACKSWING FOR THE NEXT STROKE. The ready position for the next shot is a neutral position where you could adjust to a shot that comes to either wing.

If you are turning ready for a FH and the ball goes to your BH, you will be woefully unprepared and wonder why your reflexes are so slow. But it will be your reading of the scenario that is at issue. Not your reflexes. And I cannot tell you how often I am setting up for a big forehand only to see my opponent start moving to one side or the other before I have made contact allowing me to hit the ball to the side they are moving away from. If you watch Waldner, you can see him do that any time someone moves before he hits as well. (Not to equate my play with that of Waldner). :)

One nice thing to know is that getting used to faster paced TT action through things like Multiball will help you reset faster and force you to be ready sooner.

Here:

Notice that the ball placement in the drill is random and that the pace is faster than could possibly happen in a match because the next ball is coming just after ZJK's ball lands on the coach's side. If ZJK does not reset fast enough he will not be able to adjust to the next ball.

Making the time between balls shorter so you have to reset faster will teach you how to reset faster and get ready sooner. After a drill like that, regular play with an opponent will feel slow and you will feel like you have extra time, which you actually always did. You just were not resetting fast enough.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is a video that is worth watching more than once, maybe 3 times, and trying to figure out what it actually means.

It is not specifically about table tennis. But it applies to the learning of any sport activity. So, in the end, you would also have to figure out how to apply the information to TT. So, I am asking you to do some homework.

Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think, something to be understood is, people who talk about reflexes in TT may not be on the right track.

What you are looking to do is improve recovery time, preparedness, planning, anticipation, brain processing, reading skills (reading the spin, the angle of the opponent's racket as it contacts the ball, the spin imparted on the ball, the ark the ball will take as a result of the contact, how the ball will curve and kick, how to counter the spin on the ball.....etc, etc). Those skills also need to be developed for TABLE TENNIS. Because if you have those skills for something else, they won't immediately transfer to TT.

From a technical standpoint, when people are talking about making their reflexes faster, the actual issue for them is often that their reset is not fast enough, and that they don't have the other brain processing and reading skills that are specific to TT. For instance, ideally, for TT, when you take a shot, you should be reset and in the ready position BEFORE YOUR SHOT LANDS ON THE OPPONENT'S SIDE OF THE TABLE. If you do this, you can be set to WATCH, while your opponent MAKES HIS SHOT so you can respond to it based on reading what he did and make choices about how you respond to the incoming shot.

When you are reset before your ball lands on your opponent's side of the table, you have A LOT OF TIME TO PREPARE, MOVE TO AND BE READY for the shot that is coming at you.

But most TT players who are mid-level or lower, do not think of the reset as part of the stroke and, as a result, do not reset ANYWHERE NEAR FAST ENOUGH. Which ends up meaning they wonder why they have so little time to respond to the ball coming at them.

When you practice your strokes, you should not think the stroke is done until you are in the ready position for the next shot. The ready position for the next shot IS NOT THE BACKSWING FOR THE NEXT STROKE. The ready position for the next shot is a neutral position where you could adjust to a shot that comes to either wing.

If you are turning ready for a FH and the ball goes to your BH, you will be woefully unprepared and wonder why your reflexes are so slow. But it will be your reading of the scenario that is at issue. Not your reflexes. And I cannot tell you how often I am setting up for a big forehand only to see my opponent start moving to one side or the other before I have made contact allowing me to hit the ball to the side they are moving away from. If you watch Waldner, you can see him do that any time someone moves before he hits as well. (Not to equate my play with that of Waldner). :)

One nice thing to know is that getting used to faster paced TT action through things like Multiball will help you reset faster and force you to be ready sooner.

Here:

Notice that the ball placement in the drill is random and that the pace is faster than could possibly happen in a match because the next ball is coming just after ZJK's ball lands on the coach's side. If ZJK does not reset fast enough he will not be able to adjust to the next ball.

Making the time between balls shorter so you have to reset faster will teach you how to reset faster and get ready sooner. After a drill like that, regular play with an opponent will feel slow and you will feel like you have extra time, which you actually always did. You just were not resetting fast enough.

Great post.
Should be preserved on a sticky somewhere. - what no stickies? it deserves a thread of its own

this is why a slower shot can be more effective as it allows more prep time for the followup

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Mate this is a table tennis forum site why you posting gaming topics on here

As long as you know that the original post that you quoted was from January 2021.....so, a little more than a year ago.

And EyyT has only made one post since August 2021.

So, the real question is, why did EllaBaileq wake this long dead thread up and was it a valid reason or was it an attempt at spam?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Great post.
Should be preserved on a sticky somewhere. - what no stickies? it deserves a thread of its own

this is why a slower shot can be more effective as it allows more prep time for the followup

I wrote that long enough ago to have forgotten when I wrote it. But the principle is straight forward. If you are reset in time, so you can see what is coming at you, you have a lot of time to move appropriately and CHOOSE your shot.

I like how you highlighted (red text) the central technical info in my post. :)

Also, your point about slower shots is excellent. And while changing the rhythm and throwing in a slower shot gives you extra time to get ready for the next shot, it will also, often, throw off the timing of your opponent. It is valuable to change up the pace.

Last edited: