What is that one serve that you HATE

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
There was this old retire jpen guy and he just served fast long backspin with sidespin on my bh, I couldnt chop or the ball goes high he didnt put it on my fh because he knew I couldnt return, that was the day I learn how to brush the ball. I just dont like fast long servers at all, I am really slow. What is the type of serve you dislike the most?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I have been in deep doo doo a couple of times by lefties using a halflong (2nd bounce at table edge) reverse pendulum serve, near the middle line, with varying and (for me) unreadable spin.

Sometimes I won anyway, with a near 100% win rate in rallies I just had to get one in five or so serves returned decently(ish).

I somehow don’t suffer as badly against righthanders using that serve and placement.

Reactions: latej
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Illegal hidden serves

I agree 100%
I only hate all illegal serves.
Any good serves that i have problems with are ok with me.
I can even admire the superior skills of my opponent and have a laugh at my own shortcomings
that make it impossible to read the opponents serve and deal with it.

Reactions: GusShnaps
I have a difficult to receive Tomawank/Reverse Tomawawk serve (even with that I serve tomahawk on my game lol), especially when is long, but I don´t hate this serves, the services I really HATE is hidden illegal serves, makes me so frustrated and furious, I´m 100% not able to back on the time and play on 90´and 00´s era.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
The hidden serve action can be an issue for me, because when I first played you could leave your arm in front of the ball after the toss and so on. Waldner used to do this!!
these days, of course this isn’t allowed, when I started playing again, even after 30+ years, the serve action & muscle memory was still there !! Once you learn to ride a bike .......!!
So I was politely reminded of the new rules!!!
it’s just that sometimes it slips in occasionally, not deliberately!! and now increasingly less and less. Mainly on FH serve.

Recently I have been watching some footage from the British Vets league matches, The amount of illegal serves out there not being called was a shock!! Especially for that level of play. Closed fingers, not presenting the ball, low toss etc etc.

Reactions: yoass
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The hidden serve action can be an issue for me, because when I first played you could leave your arm in front of the ball after the toss and so on. Waldner used to do this!!
these days, of course this isn’t allowed, when I started playing again, even after 30+ years, the serve action & muscle memory was still there !! Once you learn to ride a bike .......!!
So I was politely reminded of the new rules!!!
it’s just that sometimes it slips in occasionally, not deliberately!! and now increasingly less and less. Mainly on FH serve.

Recently I have been watching some footage from the British Vets league matches, The amount of illegal serves out there not being called was a shock!! Especially for that level of play. Closed fingers, not presenting the ball, low toss etc etc.

Same here horrible serves at any level of the sport.
Everybody thinks they are doing favours not calling these faults .
There are veterans that simply can not learn new things and i am happy to live with that .
However, if they come one day with a brand new serve that is very illegal i get pissed off.
Recently I have taken the liberty to send emails to all members of one club reminding them that ignoring the serving- rules is the same as trying to get an unfair advantage.......................and got promptly sacked from the club ;););)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
Also, there is a guy at my club with a rather large stomach which temporarily conceals my view of the ball during the serve/toss. So far I’ve been too polite to point out the problem.

similar problem here
there's this one dude at my tt club that has a super annoying reverse pendulum serve
100% of his serves are hidden behind his body (it's not even behind his arm like some people have said), so I can't see the contact point nor the motion properly.
Result -> can't receive most of his serves

AND I've been too polite to point out the problem too, which is really stupid of me now that I think of it
Good thing I don't play against him very often

Next time I'll either point it out or use illegal serves against him too lol

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
similar problem here
there's this one dude at my tt club that has a super annoying reverse pendulum serve
100% of his serves are hidden behind his body (it's not even behind his arm like some people have said), so I can't see the contact point nor the motion properly.
Result -> can't receive most of his serves

AND I've been too polite to point out the problem too, which is really stupid of me now that I think of it
Good thing I don't play against him very often

Next time I'll either point it out or use illegal serves against him too lol

With one guy I went as far as to tell him I would only "train" with him but would never have a match against him untill all his serves were legal serves.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I think the rule is that both the ball AND bat should be visible at point of contact. Which is a very short amount of time!!

hopefully you’ll all understand the description below!!

So when serving Fh, a player tilts his bat to an angle of 45 degrees, with the front leading edge being at the high point, the back trailing edge is the low point, effectively the face of the bat being used to hit the ball is facing away from the opponent. He uses a swing path at the same plane of 45 degrees, coming from low to high.
the contact point on the ball is the front bottom quarter. Spin would be heavy back spin.

So, is the bat shielding the ball at impact?? Is ALL of the ball able to be seen?? I would say at impact probably not!! So would you call this serve as foul?? Everything is in plain sight except for the fraction of a second when contact is made!!

I’m not saying this would be a good serve, done as described. But plenty of players can serve in a similar way, maybe not in such an exaggerated fashion!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
1 that goes over the net !!
;) hahaha pretty much the same nowadays for me !
Anyways... those tomahawks done by righthanders very short on my FH side (I'm right hand too), same as those pendulum serves done by leftys... that's one of the reasons why I'm back to chinese tacky rubbers on FH.

Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
The ball must always be visible during the throw, if not; it's a illegal serve
The bat does not have to be visible

Cheers,
So to clarify, the throw ends when the ball makes contact with the bat, and as long as the whole ball is visible at contact then the serve is good. The bat is not an issue.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Cheers,
So to clarify, the throw ends when the ball makes contact with the bat, and as long as the whole ball is visible at contact then the serve is good. The bat is not an issue.

Clarify : the ball does NOT just have to be visible at contact but always , that is when it is in the flat ,open hand, when it is thrown upwards and when it is hit on its way down.

Reactions: Music&Ping