Back to Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,945
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,945 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #1

    Amateur Div 2 Famous Youtuber plays vs Lee Sang Soo

    Korean youtuber "Tak-Kyu" shows a handicap match vs Lee Sang Soo where he gets 5 pts.

    Lee Sang Soo is trying a bit harder in this vid than in the other "Tak_Kyu vids he does with Samsung Life Coach's team (LSS is on that team), but it is obvious Lee Sang Soo is not going full out on every point.

    Enjoy.

    The Following 6 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

    Dan, GusShnaps and 4 others

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  2. jedimasterplk is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 166 382
    J
    jedimasterplk is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 382 166

    User Info Menu


    Jun 2011
    UK
    382
    166
    1390
    Read 6 Reviews
    #2

    Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    Korean youtuber "Tak-Kyu" shows a handicap match vs Lee Sang Soo where he gets 5 pts.

    Lee Sang Soo is trying a bit harder in this vid than in the other "Tak_Kyu vids he does with Samsung Life Coach's team (LSS is on that team), but it is obvious Lee Sang Soo is not going full out on every point.

    Enjoy.

    Enjoyed the video - thanks for sharing Echte!

    On a side note, I am not sure if I fully agree with you that LSS is not going full out on every point. Not sure at all.
    Maybe, he isnt, possibly - but not out of deliberate choice.

    I will explain why. First - I have seen matches where young pro's play at 100% and lose (handicap matches of course) against amateurs. Its embarassing stuff for the pro. I personally dont think so, but these guys hate to lose, thats why they are pros
    Experienced pros also know that a decent amateur can use their own power against them. In a handicap match, that thought puts big pressure on the pro. Even pro's miss - and playing an amateur is not easy - and due to the point made above, they can get nervous too. If that amateur is good, as this one is. I have been told that by a pro personally.

  3. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,945
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,945 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #3
    Unless Dan is faking it on his vids, he has a very tough time vs the pros' serves... Dan would play Div 1 Natl in Korea, Takkkyu is Div 2. Takkyu is not missing many of LSS serves and flips a lot of them. That is just one of the things that makes me think LSS is not fully competing. Another one is all the game points LSS pisses away. Pros are not under the handicap pressure when they have game point.

    What would the vid look like if 70-80 percent of time that Takkyu make a serve receive error?

    What would the vid look like if Takkyu could flip 1/2 of those serves and make a rally?

    There is an audience to entertain and TT is an entertainment business I say.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    JesperStef

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  4. Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,398 1,690
    L
    Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,690 1,398

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    Sweden
    1,690
    1,398
    4440
    Read 0 Reviews
    #4
    I have noticed that there are some asian tabletennis youtube channels that seems to be pretty popular. Do these guys do it full time?

    Can imagine that the pro plays a little softer to get some good rallies but can also imagine that they try to play more safe becuase if they lose a point or two in the beginning they are down so much so it will hard for even them to come back.

  5. jedimasterplk is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 166 382
    J
    jedimasterplk is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 382 166

    User Info Menu


    Jun 2011
    UK
    382
    166
    1390
    Read 6 Reviews
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    Unless Dan is faking it on his vids, he has a very tough time vs the pros' serves... Dan would play Div 1 Natl in Korea, Takkkyu is Div 2. Takkyu is not missing many of LSS serves and flips a lot of them. That is just one of the things that makes me think LSS is not fully competing. Another one is all the game points LSS pisses away. Pros are not under the handicap pressure when they have game point.

    What would the vid look like if 70-80 percent of time that Takkyu make a serve receive error?

    What would the vid look like if Takkyu could flip 1/2 of those serves and make a rally?

    There is an audience to entertain and TT is an entertainment business I say.
    You make a strong case Echte. I suppose it is hard to know for certain, but your point about serves is a good one.

  6. latej is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 370
    L
    latej is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 221
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula
    Can imagine that the pro plays a little softer to get some good rallies but can also imagine that they try to play more safe becuase if they lose a point or two in the beginning they are down so much so it will hard for even them to come back.
    I see it similarly, I'd say LSS is using >95% of his concentration, but not more than 65% of his craft... Focusing, staying in point, but not really trying to kill it...

    The BH at 6:54, wow... The "creation of Adam" at 10:52 is cool...

  7. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,945
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,945 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #7
    Hi Jedi,

    I do not doubt what you are saying at all about pros suddenly playing more high percentage in a handicap game. I experience the very same thing myself in Korea and just about every match you play there in a club is a handicap match.

    I KNOW that I played WAY more safe in those matches and did my best not to make stupid mistakes or take stupid chances, instead of just play my game. Even at the crappy Div 2 city level I was for my last two yrs in Korea, I still had to cough up 5 points, sometimes 7 points to players... at those levels, one or two edge balls or bad net and a mistake from you is all it takes for it to be game over.

    Still, Takku and 5 pts is not gunna be enough for a pro to be THAT pressured. Dan regularly loses to lesser pros losing by a wider margin than the handicap given here... and the pros in Dan's vids are CLEARLY not trying the fullest.

    I might have been very cautious to avoid mistakes in my handicap matches, but I always tried my best to mke that serve COUNT... it was really the only thing I could control in a match to any degree. I do not think Takkyu is Dan's level and Dan shows more difficulty in receiving pro serves... that is the biggest convincing thing for me. maybe more so is the number of game points LSS did not win. I think he won only 2 of 6 game points... and that kind of performance vs an amateur player would get him the riot act read by coach.

    I am OK with what really went on either way, whether LSS truely was just too conservative, or was throttling down. you are right... there is no God provided bubble over everyone's heads in a vid showing what they are thinking each moment... haha, theat might be comical to see though, eh?

    The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

    jedimasterplk and JesperStef

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  8. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,945
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,945 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula
    I have noticed that there are some asian tabletennis youtube channels that seems to be pretty popular. Do these guys do it full time?

    Can imagine that the pro plays a little softer to get some good rallies but can also imagine that they try to play more safe becuase if they lose a point or two in the beginning they are down so much so it will hard for even them to come back.
    Hi Lula,

    The last few years have seen an EXPLOSION of popular Korean youtubers. I am unaware of any of them doing this full time.

    Nexy Korea has really upped their investment in pro TT and really upped their sponsorship of regular amateur players... and has supported MANY of the new youtubers... some of their effort finds its way into the vids... and Nexy Korea has now sponsored some of the top pros... they sponsor Samsung Life pro team with uniforms, Joo Sae Hyuk, Yoo Nam Gyu... You are frequently seeing Nexy uniforms and equipment in these vids, almost like it is an advertizement. Well, this effort at advertizing has some positive effects for both commerce and people.

    They sponsored our Foreign TT association team back then (a decade ago), and at the time, they had maybe a handful of amateur players they sponsored, maybe a few dozen. Now, it is many times that and it looks like they also provide tables, table skirts, barriers, and other Nexy gear for these clubs where the vids take place.

    Uniforms have always been somethng Koreans like, so it is natural to see even very low level club players from same club all wear same jersey at a comp, club or city.

    MAYBE, if their vids get over million views, AND youtube doesn't demonetize them for political correctness, maybe some of these youtubers could do this full time and have a life.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    Lula

    Last edited by Der_Echte; 01-10-2021 at 06:01 PM.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  9. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,142 10,945
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,945 11,142

    User Info Menu

    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by latej
    I see it similarly, I'd say LSS is using >95% of his concentration, but not more than 65% of his craft... Focusing, staying in point, but not really trying to kill it...

    The BH at 6:54, wow... The "creation of Adam" at 10:52 is cool...
    Takkyu does his best to be someone appealing to the ladies as well. Not just that part, but it is one of the ways.

    The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

    latej

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  10. Tango K is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 303 469
    T
    Tango K is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 469 303

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2020
    UK
    469
    303
    992
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    I watched this before seeing your post. Very entertaining indeed. I do feel like what you say. LSS is just having a lot of fun.

    They have a series in which they coach 2 girls with a lot of basics. I think they are probably very useful for lots of players. They point out real amateurs’ problems so it could be easier to get through than pure theories. I myself found the one about flick is very cool. They also have some demo videos from LSS and his team mates (and with extra input from the same coach). Very good source, Der_Echte. Thanks!!!

    The Following 3 Users Like Tango K's Post:

    Der_Echte, JesperStef and 1 other


  11. Yasaka100 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 5 10
    Y
    Yasaka100 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 10 5

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2019
    United States
    10
    5
    95
    Read 0 Reviews
    #11
    You could tell Lee Sangsu was holding back and missed a few on purpose. I'm sure if you see some youtube videos on the National Team players vs amateurs, you can tell they take it easy and just lob or block a lot so the amateurs can try to return it back for more chances to make a winning shot. Kudos to Tak-kyu, he does make it "believable" that he might win with a handicap! Oh, well he lost, there is always next time if you watch youtube Tak-kyu, so subscribe!


    Quote Originally Posted by jedimasterplk
    Enjoyed the video - thanks for sharing Echte!

    On a side note, I am not sure if I fully agree with you that LSS is not going full out on every point. Not sure at all.
    Maybe, he isnt, possibly - but not out of deliberate choice.

    I will explain why. First - I have seen matches where young pro's play at 100% and lose (handicap matches of course) against amateurs. Its embarassing stuff for the pro. I personally dont think so, but these guys hate to lose, thats why they are pros
    Experienced pros also know that a decent amateur can use their own power against them. In a handicap match, that thought puts big pressure on the pro. Even pro's miss - and playing an amateur is not easy - and due to the point made above, they can get nervous too. If that amateur is good, as this one is. I have been told that by a pro personally.

    The Following User Likes Yasaka100's Post:

    quanghuysk


  12. quanghuysk is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 98 123
    quanghuysk's Avatar
    quanghuysk is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 123 98
    #12
    Lee just played that match for fun. I don't see any evidence that he was serious He didn't even give a real serve to make the match more interesting!

    The Following User Likes quanghuysk's Post:

    Der_Echte


  13. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 16,086 14,592
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,592 16,086
    #13
    To me it is evident LSS is goofing around and having fun. Every so often he slips in a few points where he ups his game a little. But a lot of that is clowning around. I mean, going in for a push and then deciding to switch to an offensive shot and totally missing the ball? There is no way that is anything but him figuring out a way to give the opponent a free point while having a good laugh.

    The amateur is good. LSS lets him play his best. But he is quite good. But when LSS adds the extra power or spin, he has no chance. And how LSS approaches the match makes it a lot of fun to watch.

    The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    Der_Echte

    Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 01-12-2021 at 01:22 AM.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.