Getting back in the game...

This user has no status.
Welcome to TTD KarlP4001! Thanks to Carl for the heads up on your thread. I haven't been on this forum in almost a year, didn't want to check in and make me miss TT even more.

Nice collection of oldschool DHS PF4 blades! I'm 56 yrs old, played when I was a kid in late 1970s - mid 1980's. Around the time I stopped playing less and ultimately 'retired' from TT, DHS had come out with their PF4 line. I had a 032 and still have my 08 which i nicknamed "Excalibur". I had a PF4 032 too also at one point. Recall i didn't like the PF4 blades as much as the blades pre-PF4. May all be in my head LOL

Where in NY are you?

The main club I play at is in Queens and is a NYC Dept of Parks Recreation Center, "Lost Battalion Hall" in Rego Park. I haven't played there since mid-March when closed due to the lockdown and has not opened back up yet :( However, I live with my 85 yr old mom and I don't want to risk catching COVID-19.

Welcome back to the game! Hope we can get a chance to hit!!

Very truly yours in TT,

~osph

Hi OSPC!

My first real bat was a 5 or 7 ply DHS or Shield Cpen with black short pips and the other side was plain wood with a tape measure built onto it that can measure the height of the net. I am still looking for it. I then got an awesome 7 ply PF4 shake hand that I still played penhold using it but, lost the bat in a match to a top highschooler in the Philippines in a match. He ended up giving my bat to this hottie we both had the hots for. I still hate him lol.

Later I found a PF4 cpen on sale from someone in Bulgaria claiming it was “really good” and decided to buy it and assemble my own. This is my current 032 which the handle been reglued together a couple times to keep it together. I bought some inverted 2.2 DHS Skyline rubber to try RPB but make better playing one sided.

I always look out for some cool old school Chinese bats to add to my collection and re-glue them with newer short pips. The video I posted above of me playing with the 2.0 dragonow on an old 7-ply PF4 could be my new favorite bat to play on mainly due to the highpitch crack it makes while hitting.

I play at home in a buddhist temple where I live and manage the building. It’s just me and a robot as I shoot endless drills and work on my serve.

I am introducing pingpong to the congregation in 2021 as means to bring together the local community and hope folks young and old will have something fun and enjoyable to do on Sunday’s after service that isn’t too intimidating. I hope to start an all buddhist temple ping pong league LOL.

I hope Covid-19 ends soon so I can meet good players and improve my hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main bat has 032 on the butt of the handle, but recently I had to reglue the handle back on so you can't see the number on it.
I did a bad job using Gorilla glue, but...the bat still hits well and it's my favorite with 651 2.2mm short pips.

The other cpen 7ply says PF4 on the handle but doesn't say 08 on the bottom butt end. But the box it came in was green and said Pf4 on it. Anyways, I really enjoy playing with all them and the one shakehand bat that has c7 long pips on it, I really enjoy hitting with that one too...I might change the inverted rubber on the 032 and replace it with c7 long pips since I can get a good flat block and drive on both forehand and backhand with it.

You should look fpr the 60th anniversary special of dhs 08. ITTF sent me one years ago. I think fareastsports.com still selld it.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
Had some fun this weekend hot rodding an old PF4 bat with upgraded short pips DHS 2.0mm dragonow black and 874 2.2mm red. Both easy to control rubber with more spin potential. Not as fast and overall about 10g lighter than my 032 set up but easier to hit with more spin.

f84a90b10d2d9a8bc5df478eb3f5e094.png

795a9e5822e0a415d928a80fac422278.jpg

ee44fddc56075c5b515e060eeaa66e49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder