Famous Natl Div 1 Female inverted vs Natl Div 1 PH SP !!! Finals Ntl Open

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi All,

For those interested in C-Pen SHORT PIPS at higher Korean Amateur levels...(OSPH and maybe @Lula !!!) Here is a finals in a national level Open tourney Div 1 vs Div 1 final. Lady is pretty well established Bak Ji-Soo Div 1 Natl standard. Dude is someone I never saw, never heard of, but he is so old school all the way, almost no one in a Korean TT club uses his equipment (In 2010, MAYBE 1 out of 1000 did) and play style, which is traditional single sided pips play bump it and smash it style.

Both of these players show why they are ELITE Div 1 level, which is WAY above the average level. They can play fast and flat and the lady can spin some... but that C-Pen SP dude isn't exactly giving her all the balls to spin slow and heavy... PJS never really plays a slow heavy spin style anyway, she drives, loop drives, keeps ball in play, soft rolls some, cuts some, and smashes.

There are a LOT of long exchanges very fast pace here you only see at top level in Div 1. These are 2400 USATT+ skills. The old-school dude is increadibly consistent with his pips hits and also is not a slouch at his old-school BH sweeping smashes using FH side of rubber. USATT 2500 level players in USA rarely see this style form the penholder and it would trouble a great deal of that crowd.

There is a Korean dude in Boston, trained by a former J-Pen Korean Natl team player (Lee Jae Chul is the Natl player from 70s) who plays single sided C-Pen (and old Stiga ALL C-Pen) style mostly with MP/LP or LP/LP with occasional bump from BH... That dude is JAY LEE and famous on east coast he is 2200-2250 lelvel and gives fits to a lot of inverted players a half level better than him. Dude in vid is likely 2-3 levels better than Jay, but if in USA, Jay Lee is closest you see to this. You gotta see how Jay Lee plays... I should make it a point to video some of his play. Jay Lee is over 60, drinks beers all night long in club, and takes on all-comers... and defeats them all except the local elite, and wins those sometimes.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That dude can really pound it and punish any mistake you make. It took her a while to learn how to even compete with him. I can see why he is in a finals of a Div 1 Natl Tourney... that dude can really get it done at Div 1 level. The lady, she is ALWAYS competing... she finds a gear or finds a way or just stays in point long enough or has one shot better...

... the top of each division finds a way to win points when needed at their level and that is why they are better than the rest of the division.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
That dude can really pound it and punish any mistake you make. It took her a while to learn how to even compete with him. I can see why he is in a finals of a Div 1 Natl Tourney... that dude can really get it done at Div 1 level. The lady, she is ALWAYS competing... she finds a gear or finds a way or just stays in point long enough or has one shot better...

... the top of each division finds a way to win points when needed at their level and that is why they are better than the rest of the division.

I guess there is a higher level in Korea?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
She moves very good! She plays like she has short pimples but it looks like the rubber shines?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
merlin el mago said:
I guess there is a higher level in Korea?

Hi Merlin,

Korea has a system for non-pros and a system for pros and they pretty much keep them seperate. Only amateur event a pro can play is in a huge national tourney in pro player division.

Div 1 is highest in national level tourneys... the best Div 1 national players who win the national Open tourneys get assigned a classification of Champions Division... basically they end up giving 2 pt handicap to Div 1 players.

The pro-trained crowd has grade school, middle school, and high school athletes. The better high school players are at a higher level than Park Ji-Soo, but she did not have the benefit of an ex-pro hired by the schools to give her Marines Boot Camp TT training for 8 years either.

The best HS players, who could not make the national team of any of the Korean Pro teams get on a city team. Men city team players are generally 2600 USATT+, which would defeat this SP C-Pen guy 3-0 or 3-1 by average score of 11-7 or better.

The Korean pro team of course are way better and the best KNT are usually WR10 or better, usually 2-3 of them in top 20.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
She moves very good! She plays like she has short pimples but it looks like the rubber shines?

Ji-Soo plays a conventional women's 2x inverted game... which means she plays a LOT like she has SP !!

The BH is mostly for keeping ball in play and then step around FH hit that sucker into the next galaxy. Sometimes, it is used to punch. FH topspin on serves is kinda low spin stuff, but usually high percentage. Women are good at driving the ball over and over at high pace close to table or a step away.

I try to slow the ball down vs such players and spin it really heavy whenever the chance is there. That ball kills them. Problem is, these players are very good at finding your middle and they always hit, so you really got to be good on your serve return... they always counter that with fast/deep serves to get into those kind of rallies... that is why on one of the vids a few weeks ago you rarely saw short serves - both players liked those rallies.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hi Merlin,

Korea has a system for non-pros and a system for pros and they pretty much keep them seperate. Only amateur event a pro can play is in a huge national tourney in pro player division.

Div 1 is highest in national level tourneys... the best Div 1 national players who win the national Open tourneys get assigned a classification of Champions Division... basically they end up giving 2 pt handicap to Div 1 players.

The pro-trained crowd has grade school, middle school, and high school athletes. The better high school players are at a higher level than Park Ji-Soo, but she did not have the benefit of an ex-pro hired by the schools to give her Marines Boot Camp TT training for 8 years either.

The best HS players, who could not make the national team of any of the Korean Pro teams get on a city team. Men city team players are generally 2600 USATT+, which would defeat this SP C-Pen guy 3-0 or 3-1 by average score of 11-7 or better.

The Korean pro team of course are way better and the best KNT are usually WR10 or better, usually 2-3 of them in top 20.

There is a streaming channel to see the pros league or vids?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Merlin,

I never really looked to watch Korean Pro League online, so I wouldn't know. I looked at the Natl Assn (KTTA) webpage and didn't see anything for it... When I lived in Korea, sometimes it would be on TV, maybe on SBS... so when league is running, maybe SBS either broadcasts it live on their website or on demand after it is over.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Merlin,

Since I do not really seek out to watch Korean Pro TT League, I wouldn't know who would do video and upload for that... Here is a link to one youtube channel that has a lot of pro matches with Koreans in them, often from ITTF pro tour...

... but knowing how youtube works, you start watching vids from this site, youtube has suggestions on hte right... and sometimes, if you watch enough vids, youtube starts showing some other vids you might be looking for, worth a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkntijfWx6wp7C6P1-5wVdQ/videos

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Wappak, I have zero idea, that dude lives WAY down south and I was only there a few times a year for field training, so I never got to circulate myself on the TT scene down there much. He isn't a popular sponsored player who is interviewed... he just an old-school bad-azz. (That means really skilled and formidable)