says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
Me: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHFt6u49tS4fQufwszprStg/videos
rating: 2100usatt conventional 2 wing attacker

I"m going to keep it short.

Info:
- both blade is exactly 88g
- when testing both use the exact same rubber (i just peel it off and stick to another paddle).

Technical differences:
- hl5 is more head heavy
- hl5x is more handle heavy
- hl5 have more dwell and provide a more powerful shot.
- hl5x is faster off bounce but less powerful cuz it doesn't flex like hl5

Summary:
The difference between hl5 and hl5x is like alc vs zlc. hl5 flexs when you hit it hard while hl5x is stiff. They are both very powerful blade definitely more powerful than my viscaria.

Also, ths is not hte first hl5 and hl5x i tried, in the past i tried my friend's hl5 and hl5x and my conclusion is exactly the same. hl5 is indeed more head heavy while hl5x is more handle heavy. I miss more shots with hl5 but at the same time shot produce by hl5 is more powerful.

/thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thanks for the review. By chance, can you compare DHS PG5 with HL5 or PG5X with HL5X?

I tried PG5 and wasn't excited from it, and according ttgearlab those blades (and FangBo) have the same composition. So it would be interesting to know the difference. Also PG5 felt less powerful than Viscaria, and you say HL5 is more powerful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Thanks for the review. By chance, can you compare DHS PG5 with HL5 or PG5X with HL5X?

I tried PG5 and wasn't excited from it, and according ttgearlab those blades (and FangBo) have the same composition. So it would be interesting to know the difference. Also PG5 felt less powerful than Viscaria, and you say HL5 is more powerful.

I would consider speed a function of user input. In Layman's terms race car might have crappy lowend power but a lot of high rpm power, a street car usually has better low end and midrange but does not really make a lot in the top. That is why true race car does not like driving on the street and street car might not excel on the race track. If you have strike of a superman blade A might be better but if you cannot make that power consistently blade B might be faster since the threshold to make the power is lower for blade B.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I would consider speed a function of user input. In Layman's terms race car might have crappy lowend power but a lot of high rpm power, a street car usually has better low end and midrange but does not really make a lot in the top. That is why true race car does not like driving on the street and street car might not excel on the race track. If you have strike of a superman blade A might be better but if you cannot make that power consistently blade B might be faster since the threshold to make the power is lower for blade B.

Understand the point. I thought about it the same way, in connection to Ma Long's stroke.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from someone who tried both, or FangBo...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
DHS Fang Bo B2X vs Ma Long 5 vs Ma Long 5X

Understand the point. I thought about it the same way, in connection to Ma Long's stroke.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from someone who tried both, or FangBo...The
The above review is spot on. The ML 5 is much more powerful than the ML 5x because it has more gears and can make the ball kick when you activate the flex of the blade. The 5X is harder and has less dwell with quick rebound but does not have the penetrating power of the ML 5. Many people cannot activate the ML 5 and have the erroneous belief that the ML5x is faster. Even Paddle Palace lists the ML5x as faster. The shape of the head of the ML5 and 5 x are completely different with the ML 5 having a tapered head and the 5x a more rounded head. The Fang Bo B2x is a vastly underrated blade that can stand up with Butterfly blades costing 4 or 5 times as much money. It has good dwell to produce good spin and gives good countering power but with practice and training you can unlock the gears and produce a kick when you loop.. The ML 5 can make the ball kick as well but on steroids.I have been a bit of an equipment junkie searching for that perfect blade. I stumbled across TT Gear Lab website and with scientific study of blades with sound waves I began to understand that a stiff, hard blade seems fast when you bounce a ball on it but it is only quick and the ball starts slowing down the moment it leaves the blade....but with a very flexible blade like the ML 5 it feels slow and has a lot of vibration until you activate the flex of the blade in a loop drive. Then , it is like the hand of god has struck the ball. I have seen it cause balls to shoot up over paddles and kick out so fast that the opponent will freeze.. When you want to hit a chop or kill a topspin you will feel a lot of flex sapping the energy you are trying to transmit to the ball. Many people do not like this feeling and want the more solid feel of the ML 5x. But for the person who loves to loop the power of the activated flex is like a drug. Swordsman often named their blades and I think "godkiller"would be a good name for it. I let a 2500 level player hit will it and he looped some with FH and BH and said it was nice....but he never activated the flex and never felt the kick. So, what is the moral of the story? If you want a great deal on a well rounded blade that can generate spiin but still have a kick with a good feel on kills the Fang Bo B2x is worth a try. If you want a more expensive blade designed for the new ball that has less vibration and can hit or loop the ball well then try the Ma Long 5X. BUT, if you want a blade kissed by god and want to feel like your loop came from the hand of god then the ML5 is your Holy Grail. It does not give up its secrets easily. The head has a weird shape, it feels hollow, you will have to work to get power in your countering, it feels like a lot of vibration when you smash but if you love to loop learn to unleash the power of the flexible blade and the explosion of your sponge, like T05, and you will have a smile on your face and your opponents asking you how you hit that shot.Before you buy, do some research on TT Gear Lab where they do a scientific investigation into blades. What you find may open your eyes as to what a fast blade really is....not just a quick blase. My sincere thanks to the person in the above thread who understood the true difference between the ML5 and 5x.Would like to hear more insights.

Reactions: Lord_Berry
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Me: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHFt6u49tS4fQufwszprStg/videos
rating: 2100usatt conventional 2 wing attacker

I"m going to keep it short.

Info:
- both blade is exactly 88g
- when testing both use the exact same rubber (i just peel it off and stick to another paddle).

Technical differences:
- hl5 is more head heavy
- hl5x is more handle heavy
- hl5 have more dwell and provide a more powerful shot.
- hl5x is faster off bounce but less powerful cuz it doesn't flex like hl5

Summary:
The difference between hl5 and hl5x is like alc vs zlc. hl5 flexs when you hit it hard while hl5x is stiff. They are both very powerful blade definitely more powerful than my viscaria.

Also, ths is not hte first hl5 and hl5x i tried, in the past i tried my friend's hl5 and hl5x and my conclusion is exactly the same. hl5 is indeed more head heavy while hl5x is more handle heavy. I miss more shots with hl5 but at the same time shot produce by hl5 is more powerful.

/thread

Good day to you sir,

Thank you for your kind review, what is FH and BH rubber using in this test.

Thank you,

Best regards

This user has no status.
Finally something about ML5x, i have this blade i think since March 2020, i liked it a lot, i was using different rackets/blades before it and i liked DHS Hao III a lot, so i liked DHS blades more, but rubbers went dead and they both became like normal blades then, i lost more games with those two recently because i didn't take care of the rubbers and didn't replace them.

I bought one rubber DHS H3 Prov 41 2.1mm blue sponge to use for ML5x on FH, not sure if to boost it as a coach told me that the boosting effect will go away in few days or weeks so what is the point then if i won't re-boost it, i still searching for the rubber for my BH that is softer or slower, but the blade is really fast, i feel like i have a rocket launcher in my hand, but with dead rubbers i feel like the speed or power are useless in that case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Thanks for the review. Very helpfull and direct! I'm using Fang Bo X and it's about the same difference from non X model.