can this be saved?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I fixed a blade like this once and it held up for years .
I am however not asking much of a blade and one can not guarantee it's performance.

The trick is to open it up as wide as possible , nearly to breaking .
Then make up some epoxy.
Put 2/3 of the epoxy mix in the fridge or freezer
Thin down the other 1/3 with epoxy-thinners and dribble into all the cracks, making sure the thinned epoxy seeps into the wood.
Take the other 2/3 back out of the fridge and dribble it into the cracks
Clamp everything together
pray

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One of my clubmates took a blade that looked quite a bit worse than that to a guy who professionally repairs stringed instruments. It came back playing as good as new. Maybe there is someone like that near you? I know if I tried to fix it myself it would probably be a mess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I'd like to echo what's already been said:

1) I think you could fix it to the point where it would most likely play fine; however, it really depends on how deep that crack goes - the concerning bit is that crack goes through most of the wood plies and it looks like you might have that kind of damage on both sides of the handle (and under the handle on one side). That's right in an area where the blade is going to be handling a ton of force, so it's not an area I would want my blade to have any cracks/weakness.

2) To fix it, I would do something like Lodro suggested (I would actually use a vacuum bag to try and draw thin epoxy into the crack). If you don't get glue deep enough in there, the cracks my continue to exist and worsen over time and having those cracks would change the vibration of the blade at the very least. If you can get glue all of the way into the cracks, you may not be able to notice anything has been repaired.

3) Given all of the above, I think it might be worth trying to fix just to see if you can repair it - if you can, it would make a great backup blade or work until you can get a new one. If you play a lot of table tennis and are actively playing in clubs or tournaments, I would want something that I know is going to be reliable (so if your budget allows for it, this would be a great time to get yourself a new blade).

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Actually I'm kind of an ej and bought it as it is for 10 eur :D
Unfortunately the person who sold it didn't say that it was broken..... they said "it's very good".
The rubbers..... I've seen rubbers with little spin, but these rubbers are just like hitting against a piece of glass literally.

Anyway.... going back to the blade, it seems playable as it is.
I hit against a wall and it's fine.
Fortunately the crack you see in the middle ply is not on the other side.
So the only visible crack in the middle ply is the one in the pic.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Actually I'm kind of an ej and bought it as it is for 10 eur :D
Unfortunately the person who sold it didn't say that it was broken..... they said "it's very good".
The rubbers..... I've seen rubbers with little spin, but these rubbers are just like hitting against a piece of glass literally.

Anyway.... going back to the blade, it seems playable as it is.
I hit against a wall and it's fine.
Fortunately the crack you see in the middle ply is not on the other side.
So the only visible crack in the middle ply is the one in the pic.

That you got it when it was cracked is actually an advantage .
If you follow the suggested procedures and manage to glue it back together and play with it, you wont constantly try to compare the performance how it was before the break.;)

Reactions: Nate4s