Hi all,

I have been playing as a penhold but I am now going to start playing as a shakehand.

So I am going to need a new setup.

I was thinking of buying the stiga all around classic.

My biggest issue is what rubbers I am going to use.

I want to use the chinese style of play because I enjoy it very much.

I am considering buying the RITC Friendship Super 729 FX for the FH (Forehand) and the Mark V for the backhand.

However some people say that as a beginner I should be using the same rubber for both sides.

The reason why I want two different rubbers is because I heard that the tacky rubber is not commonly used for a backhand rubber.

So should I get the RITC Friendship Super 729 FX on both sides, the Mark V on both sides, or the RITC Friendship Super 729 FX on the Forehand and the Mark V on the backhand?

If you have any other suggestions for the tacky Chinese rubber for beginners, let me know!

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Tacky rubbers are quite often used on backhands but either heavilly boosted or in softer kind. I've had couple of sheets of Super FX, not a fan. If you are on a tight budget then Yinhe Moon (non pro) would be a good non tacky option. I've used Moon Pro soft on backhand for a while with a soft sponge and it is quite fun.

When I started with Chinese rubbers I've picked Big Dipper on BH and Jupiter 2 on FH. This setup was quite hard, but when I reversed the roles I found that Dipper was quite good on FH as well and much easier to use. I think the Dipper (which is a hybrid rubber) might be easy to handle.

I can stretch to buy the Big Dipper for the FH side.

Do you think the Big Dipper is okay for a beginner like me?

How come you don't like the Super FX?

Do you find it not suitable for beginners?

And also I am thinking about using the Stiga All Around Classic Blade for this new setup, do you prefer any other beginner blades instead?

Thanks,

Aaron

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I can stretch to buy the Big Dipper for the FH side.

Do you think the Big Dipper is okay for a beginner like me?

How come you don't like the Super FX?

Do you find it not suitable for beginners?

And also I am thinking about using the Stiga All Around Classic Blade for this new setup, do you prefer any other beginner blades instead?

Thanks,

Aaron

They fealt dead on mushy, very little feedback. I enjoyed combination of Moon and Big Dipper much more. There is a lot to choose from. 10$ per sheet gives you an option of Bloom Power, Super FX, Moon, Jupiter 2, Big Dipper, Sanwei Taiji and Target 90, and many more I cant remember right now.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I think the Stiga Allround Classic with a Chinese tacky rubber on the FH and Euro rubber on the BH is a good choice.

I would suggest DHS Hurricane 3 Neo on the FH and Xiom Vega Intro on the BH if that fits your budget.

tabletennis11.com has some good prices and discounts + fast DHL shipping worldwide (free shipping above 80€).

So the big dipper is beginner friendly?

They fealt dead on mushy, very little feedback. I enjoyed combination of Moon and Big Dipper much more. There is a lot to choose from. 10$ per sheet gives you an option of Bloom Power, Super FX, Moon, Jupiter 2, Big Dipper, Sanwei Taiji and Target 90, and many more I cant remember right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Is the Hurricane 3 Neo beginner friendly?

None of the Chinese ntacky rubbers are really friendly. Big Dipper in my opinion in most beginner friendly of all rubbers mentioned. Yinhe Moon Pro is more friendly in my opinion but harder to come by.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If you want to play with Chinese rubbers, let the idea of “friendly” go. Otherwise you’ll see UpsideDownCarl hanging around telling you to use soft European rubbers :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Just grab it and hit.

I started with 729 since back then in my first country, everybody started with a pre-made 2 quid 729 bat. That’s why when we started, everything was already about spin.

You can get a hybrid rubber to avoid the hassle of the oil. But don’t look around just because you want something “friendly”.

The backhand rubber won’t be the same as the forehand rubber if you play Chinese forehand. This is different from Europeans.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Is the Hurricane 3 Neo beginner friendly?

If you want to play the Chinese style, you're going to have to dive into it and use something like H3 on your FH at one point or another. It's not going to be "friendly" per say, but at least it has good control and it makes you work to develop a good FH stroke instead of a tensor or spring sponge Euro rubber doing the work for you. For reference, a lot of Chinese kids start with H3 at a very young age.

If you want to ease into it, I would start with a rubber like Mark V or Sriver on the FH to develop a good stroke. And a intro tensor rubber like Xiom Vega Intro to develop your BH.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
So many suggestions...don't jump into the rabbit hole so early. Just get 2 sheets of 729 fx and play. It will be fine. You will know what you want to change when you get better.

says Footwork footwork footwork
Yinhe Mercury II is a nice option.

H3 won’t be friendly in the sense that it will punish you, but I think it will also teach you quickly what’s wrong (all Chinese style rubbers for that matter).

I forced myself to train with the slowest and most dead hard tacky Chinese rubber and it’s definitely given me good feeling for spin recognition, spin generation and using my legs/body in my strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
Thanks for the input, now I understand. Right now I am stuck between the big dipper, Sanwei Taiji, Target 90, Hurricane 3 Neo, Yinhe moon, Hurricane 3, and the Yinhe Mercury II.

Also someone recommended me to use the Stiga CL (clipper) instead of the all around classic

For the backhand rubber, mark v, sriver, or Xiom vega intro?

Any suggestions?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I would definitely not go for the Clipper as a beginner, too hard too fast.

If you want something a bit faster than the Allround Classic, get the Allround Evolution or Offensive Classic.

Definitely the Xiom Vega Intro on the BH.

For the FH, do one of the Chinese tacky rubbers that others mentioned as being more forgiving and beginner friendly than H3/H3N.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Thanks for the input, now I understand. Right now I am stuck between the big dipper, Sanwei Taiji, Target 90, Hurricane 3 Neo, Yinhe moon, Hurricane 3, and the Yinhe Mercury II.

Also someone recommended me to use the Stiga CL (clipper) instead of the all around classic

For the backhand rubber, mark v, sriver, or Xiom vega intro?

Any suggestions?

Correct me I am wrong but Taiji isn't tacky, is it half tacky? Moon non pro is not tacky at all for sure (I have both pro and non pro). I would not get Hurricane 3, Target 90 unless you want get into boosting rabbit hole.

For a blade Dyjas Ultra Power is very good option. This guy from Malaysia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7wYHIFfqk0) states that their club players use it a lot, they are sponsored by the Donic though.

Moon is very good on backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I would definitely not go for the Clipper as a beginner, too hard too fast.

If you want something a bit faster than the Allround Classic, get the Allround Evolution or Offensive Classic.

Definitely the Xiom Vega Intro on the BH.

For the FH, do one of the Chinese tacky rubbers that others mentioned as being more forgiving and beginner friendly than H3/H3N.

He’s been playing penhold for a few years so not exactly beginner. Likely he’s got some feel of the ball already.
Probably something slow and control is good but also try to get close to what he’s been using too.