How much power do you use, compared to the Pros?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
This is a great post....I use 100% a lot and it is a huge weakness of mine. The best players I have played against have one thing in common and I wouldn't describe it in terms of power %....its just more of a general observation that regardless of the situation during the point, they don't lose their body composure and don't stay out of position for very long. I guess we are all describing the same thing more or less though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Makes it make sense why I can feel that doing abdominal work has a direct impact on my improvement. :)

I know I do a lot of things that waste energy and are not efficient in my matches. For me, making my contact and my strokes more efficient is what I need to improve and I notice when I do this, my speed, my ability to get to the ball, my footwork and the power translated to the ball all improve. It helps having someone who knows how to coach in your corner.

When you contact the ball (timing), quality of contact and what part of the ball you contact are part of making your stroke more efficient. Then there is biomechanics. When your movement is as direct as it can be, you will need to use less effort.

Efficiency: achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort; that is what you are looking for.

One more thing, Ma Long often looks like he is taking swings at 120% of his maximum power. :) He is so fast that he can often get away with this. But it used to get him in trouble. :)

yeah he does, his loops are just crazy powerful and i can also say the same to WLQ his footwork is one of the best that ive seen, BTW on loops and counterloops i hit about 60-80%, my coach tells me to hit harder and we are currently working on faster multi balls for footwork so that i can cope up with my opponents countrloops even if i hit harder, id give abdominal tensing a go later when i do practice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Bump! I guess it's worth it given all the best points and highlights I have been watching lately. Also, I am injured and will probably start training from next month having sat out the entire December already. This is the kind of stuff I want to focus on. Using the injury time out to unlearn and re-learn. ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
Bauchspannung means abdominal tension

I have good no answer to the original topic. As an engineer I know that TT is very inefficient as far as energy expended to energy added to the ball but TT very good exercise. Honestly, I think most of you are very wrong about the amount of power you generate relative to the pros. I think you all put out close to the same amount only the pros are much more efficient in what they do. I watch plenty of TT matches on Youtube and some of the pros barely break out a sweat during a match where as I would be sweating like a very cold beer on a humid day and soaked to the skin. I sweat because I am generating heat and burning calories. That doesn't mean I am efficient at my TT play, definitely not. Mostly because I am probably 50% heavier than the average pro to start with.

I think William Henzel's statement about not pushing the limits all the time or knowing when to push the limits is very valid.

Do any of you roller skate? When I first started roller skating my leg muscles would be very sore because they were also 'correcting' for balance problems that really didn't exist. After a while I learned to kind of glide along in a much more relax way and my leg muscles didn't get sore. I was working MUCH harder when I first started skating than I did after I learned to relax. This is kind of like what was said above.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Used to go all out all day all night. Not any moar.

Especially on serve receive, I have learned a good lesson that sometimes, a 30% power return is better than a rip attempt.

Countering close to the tabel when opponent is in BH corner: 30-40% is all that is needed. Opponent is providing me spin, which becomes my pace, which helps the ball go right by him on FH corner.

High ball or pop-up: 50-70% WHY??? if you take a huge backswing, it really messes up the timing, makes you miss a LOT, and then, if the ball ever comes back, you are like a statue of a pretzel with a rubber neck looking at the ball go by you! Best thing to do is to raise racket, roate shoulders a little as you move forward and hit through the ball! A lot more reliable and almost as fast a shot as a full rip attempt that will miss more than land.

Mid-distance counter-looping: depends... Sometimes, basic shot is 80% power most of time. If out of position, have to dial down the power to where I can still make good topspin and still land it, sometimes, a 20% power return low with topsin is a great ball to get the next ball to go 80%+ to finish the point. Some re-loops are near 100% - If I am in position and can see/read the ball well, why not make a stronger shot? You are at mid distance and have time to recover for next shot. What is consistant for me to know about how much power to use is how much power I can get away with to make a reliable topspin with as much power as i can and still keep it reliable. Sometimes, near 100% fits teh bill if position and timing are there, sometimes, a lot of pace is needed to finish the point. You do not get that pace by hitting 50%.

I make a lot of connecting shots that are less than 50%. These shots are difficult for opponent to attack and allow me to stay in the point and have a better chance at a stronger attack.

WAY TOO MANY players piss away make-able points by going 100% by making a gigantic backswing. This just blows any timing you had and almost assures you of a miss and/or terrible position after the shot.

This user has no status.
Used to go all out all day all night. Not any moar.

Especially on serve receive, I have learned a good lesson that sometimes, a 30% power return is better than a rip attempt.

Countering close to the tabel when opponent is in BH corner: 30-40% is all that is needed. Opponent is providing me spin, which becomes my pace, which helps the ball go right by him on FH corner.

High ball or pop-up: 50-70% WHY??? if you take a huge backswing, it really messes up the timing, makes you miss a LOT, and then, if the ball ever comes back, you are like a statue of a pretzel with a rubber neck looking at the ball go by you! Best thing to do is to raise racket, roate shoulders a little as you move forward and hit through the ball! A lot more reliable and almost as fast a shot as a full rip attempt that will miss more than land.

Mid-distance counter-looping: depends... Sometimes, basic shot is 80% power most of time. If out of position, have to dial down the power to where I can still make good topspin and still land it, sometimes, a 20% power return low with topsin is a great ball to get the next ball to go 80%+ to finish the point. Some re-loops are near 100% - If I am in position and can see/read the ball well, why not make a stronger shot? You are at mid distance and have time to recover for next shot. What is consistant for me to know about how much power to use is how much power I can get away with to make a reliable topspin with as much power as i can and still keep it reliable. Sometimes, near 100% fits teh bill if position and timing are there, sometimes, a lot of pace is needed to finish the point. You do not get that pace by hitting 50%.

I make a lot of connecting shots that are less than 50%. These shots are difficult for opponent to attack and allow me to stay in the point and have a better chance at a stronger attack.

WAY TOO MANY players piss away make-able points by going 100% by making a gigantic backswing. This just blows any timing you had and almost assures you of a miss and/or terrible position after the shot.

great post! I also think you don't need to go 100% on each ball to win. Placement over power, as always! Sometimes you don't even need to smash a high ball to win, just curl it to a position where you know your opponent can't reach using nasty angles and sidespin LOL... in fact Zhang Jike himself said in an interview that he improved a lot by toning down his power on his shots, focusing on consistency and heavy training on medium pace shots. That was back in 2010 when he won the placement match against Ma Long for the 2010 Moscow WTTTC.

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Funny You talk about connecting shots. At teh Amature level in Korea, thise at every level who have very solid Connecting shots do very well. I am only beginning to get a little touch for those, but I am helplessly a power player. I still realize that I get a lot of my chances form serve, recieve or Connecting shots.

blahness, placement is important,but it isn't uber alles. Speed is king for finishing points, but as it is said in USA folklore, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.