Hints to making videos of lifting back spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Making a good video takes a little planning and experimentation. Getting the right camera angle is key. It is apparent to me that how one makes the video is as important as the skill of the looper returning the back spin.
It is best if the video show looping balls that are below the net height. This mean the back spin ball must be hit with an arc, not just a slapadelic stroke even if the stroke is still countering a lot of back spin. What the forum wants to see is the arc and the ball bounce after the ball bounces on on the table.

To make such a video the ball should have sufficient back spin. This can be shown by just putting the paddle in front of the ball a showing the balls bounce directly into the table. The looper should hit the ball when it is below net height. This will require the balls trajectory to rise over the net and then drop due to the topspin and the Magnus effect. If you hit the ball above net height the forum will be critical and call it slapadelic. I know.

A good loop should bounce out low and fast at the opponent. This may require taking a video from the side of the table so the trajectory of the ball is easier to see. This may be difficult to do if there isn't sufficient space to get a wide enough view with the camera.

It the ball is high enough where you can get a line of sight shot then take it but it better be good because the ball will bounce up to about 80% of the height from which you hit the ball but if you hit the ball into the table then then ball will bounce up even higher. This makes it easier for your opponent to return. Good loops that bounce out low and jump out at your opponent are better.

It is one thing to be able to return balls that are above the net with line of sight type shots. In is quite another thing to attack balls that are blow net height with a good loop. Being able to attack balls below net height provides the attacker more attacking capabilities.

Another point I want to make is that the peak elevation of the trajectory of the ball should occur as the ball passes over the net. The ball will bounce up only 80% of this height and even lower if there is top spin. This will make the ball harder for your opponent to return especially if they haven't master looping balls from below net height.

Where does my number of 80% come from? A TT ball dropped from 30cm should bounce up to 24cm plus or minus 1 cm or about 80%. That assumes there is no spin.

This user has no status.
Lurker offering my two cents:

I think this an interesting approach to a subject that perhaps seems inspired by recent events. There is a thorough explanation of the suggestions and resulting viewing value. Many videos I watch have at best one or two views; the video produced by the guidelines provided here would be almost like a visual meta-analysis and certainly valuable.

That being said, my primary audience role is as a player who is trying to improve. When watching videos, I don't really think of myself as the 'teacher' to whom a 'student' is turning in their homework assignment, "On the Trajectories and Behaviors of a Loop Against Backspin". I do appreciate the 'hints' with which a student could complete this assignment which you have provided.

Rather for me, when I watch a table tennis instructional: *I* am the learner... Once I have reasonable confidence that what someone is saying will produce the ball I want, my focus shifts heavily "ok this guy knows what he is talking about, but how can I produce this sort of ball myself". (And I have definitely been sold for less). A healthy degree of skepticism to "certify" a teacher is quite useful, but at some point it distracts me from why I am even watching a video in the first place.

1. Would these hints produce a video I would watch?
Probably!

2. Would I be reasonably confident that the person in this video could loop backspin?
Yes.

3. Would I be able to learn about How to play table tennis from such a video?
Hopefully! Assuming that the guidelines for framing of the actual person looping is as thorough as that for the ball trajectory.

4. Have I learned things about how to play table tennis from videos Not meeting these criteria?
Yes. (At least I think I have ;) )

Reactions: Tango K