ALC blade with the thinnest grip

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I'll likely go with the Boll ALC. I checked with the retailer here about the weight, he didn't have any over 90g. He then checked with Butterfly who said that they did not have any Boll ALC blades over 90 grams either and that they're usually 85-87g. Isn't this a bit strange? Surely there must be some made that are 90+. Maybe the smaller handle takes away some of the weight compared to the ST version?

90g should be heavy enough, I'm used to 89-91g.. but still I found it interesting. Feels like there must be some reason they're not making heavier blades anymore, if this is the case?

On Butterfly Japan, the TB ALC is listed at an average of 86g. Blades can range from as much as -10g to +10g from the average (20g difference) in extreme cases, although I feel like I haven't seen this in a long time and manufacturers try to keep this difference more in the -/+5g range (10g difference).

I've seen TB ALC's that weighed 93-95g although not in the recent years. If you look around and are patient, you might find one that is over 90g. For info, Timo has posted pics of the blades he uses on a scale before, and they were 89-90g.

It's definitely has been a trend for manufacturers and Butterfly particularly to produce their blades lighter in recent years, some say it's because the handle is more hollow either to make the blade more head heavy thus faster or to save on material (unlikely?), others say it's to appeal to the majority of players who are looking for lighter rather than heavier blades. I've also heard that the lighter blades from a production (under 90g) are usually shipped to Europe where they are preferred and the heavier ones (over 90g) to China where they are favored. I've kinda seen this trend when asking for particular weights across European and Chinese online stores.

• Wow
Reactions: Khimmi and Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
On Butterfly Japan, the TB ALC is listed at an average of 86g. Blades can range from as much as -10g to +10g from the average (20g difference) in extreme cases, although I feel like I haven't seen this in a long time and manufacturers try to keep this difference more in the -/+5g range (10g difference).

I've seen TB ALC's that weighed 93-95g although not in the recent years. If you look around and are patient, you might find one that is over 90g. For info, Timo has posted pics of the blades he uses on a scale before, and they were 89-90g.

It's definitely has been a trend for manufacturers and Butterfly particularly to produce their blades lighter in recent years, some say it's because the handle is more hollow either to make the blade more head heavy thus faster or to save on material (unlikely?), others say it's to appeal to the majority of players who are looking for lighter rather than heavier blades. I've also heard that the lighter blades from a production (under 90g) are usually shipped to Europe where they are preferred and the heavier ones (over 90g) to China where they are favored. I've kinda seen this trend when asking for particular weights across European and Chinese online stores.

Wow, really good info. Thanks a lot!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Wow, really good info. Thanks a lot!

Glad I can help!

Also, if you haven't tried the Acoustic Carbon, I played with it for a couple years and it's excellent. I'd say it's just about as fast and spinny as Viscaria/TB ALC but with more feel and control. The handle (even the LG one) just felt a bit small for me, I should try it with grip tape someday.

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Sorry if this is thread hijacking but I would like to know the opposite - is there a ALC-blade with thicker (and longer) handle than the Viscaria?
A Stiga Legend/Alser-sized handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
No there isn't. Viscaria / ZJK ALC / LGY ALC are the largest.

You'd have to go the custom route for a larger handle.

Thanks. Was afraid that was the case.

Well I can always try ST or AN.
Again, thanks and sorry for the interruption! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Thanks everyone for your input, I decided to go with the TB ALC and I'm very happy so far, though it's only been one training session, I tried viscaria for 3-4 weeks. The thin grip of TB fits my small hands perfectly and it's slightly more headheavy than the viscaria, but not as headheavy as my acoustic so it feels like a very nice balance. I hope I won't make another blade change in a very long time now.

Here is my first warm up with it, I really like the sound when looping with it.:D

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thanks everyone for your input, I decided to go with the TB ALC and I'm very happy so far, though it's only been one training session, I tried viscaria for 3-4 weeks. The thin grip of TB fits my small hands perfectly and it's slightly more headheavy than the viscaria, but not as headheavy as my acoustic so it feels like a very nice balance. I hope I won't make another blade change in a very long time now.

Here is my first warm up with it, I really like the sound when looping with it.:D

It's a classic chosen by many players pros and amateurs alike for a reason. Always good to have in your armada, even if you go back to Acoustic for a while (also a classic), only to go back to TB ALC later.

Glad we could help. Enjoy!

PS: Nice video and good looking strokes. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richie