Hi all You blade makers.
I have a Primorac Carbon.

It is built like:
Hinoki - Tamca5000 - Balsa - Tamca5000 - Hinoki
(Hipnotic I think You said the core was Kiri, but my blade has a very soft core
and my guess is it is Balsa).

I wonder what the weight and characteristic the blade would have if? :
1. The Tamca5000 layer was removed
2. The Hinoki layers would be ~2mm and the Balsa layer ~3mm.(~7mm thick)

The build would be:
Hinoki ~2mm - Balsa ~3mm - Hinoki ~2mm.

Would this be feasable?

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
(Hipnotic I think You said the core was Kiri, but my blade has a very soft core
and my guess is it is Balsa).

There is no guessing here, the core being Balsa is a mistake that originated in some user-generated data base I think, copied and pasted ever since. Since wood is a natural element and no two trees are the same, you might have a soft Kiri core of course, but no Balsa.

Only Hinoki - Balsa - Hinoki would crack pretty fast. There is no stiffness or anything in this combination

Hmm, this makes some sense, but they make functioning Hinoki single plies... It should at least be stronger than that...

Cheers
L-zr

Balsa is softer and easily gets dented by your fingers and it has this lines when viewed at the sides.

This is the exact reason why I'm guessing balsa.
But actually many wood types have lines at the end grain.

Last edited:
OK Balsa without Carbon may be a bad idea. What if it is changed to something a little harder and heavier like Cypress.

Hinoki ~2mm - Cypress ~3mm - Hinoki ~2mm

Will this be too heavy? (heavy I consider >90g)

I am looking for 3 layers, Hinoki on the surface and something soft in the middle.

Cheers
L-zr

If you're used to a primorac carbon, the h 3 9 will be easy to handle. Definitely 10 or 20% slower than the primo carbon

I am slowing it down with Rakza 7 soft. Regular Rakza is too fast. I love the feeling but I want to slow it down a bit.
So that sounds about right, I will look into this thanks.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Or Yinhe T1s

Thanks, but I am thinking of making the blade myself. 2-3 mm plywood should be fairly easy to get. The exotic types I don’t know but I think they sell Hinoki under a different name...

Anyway I’ll check the Yinhe out tomorrow when I get a terminal.

Cheers
L-zr

I checked out both recommended blades now (Online only).
The Yinhe was quite different from my requirements, where as the Tibhar was almost spot on. It would have been nice if the middle layer would have been something slower than Hinoki. It is a speed demon, but its worth considering.

Cheers and thanks.
L-zr

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
if you want a balsa blade without carbon you can get tibhar patrick chila.

the problem with balsa is that from medium to long distance it becomes too slow and the throw is too low.
that's why you never see a pro player using a balsa blade.

yinhe t11 is a good balsa blade, but like all balsa blades it has very low curve.
that's why it's mostly used by long pimple blockers who stay close to the table.

primorac carbon is 1000% kiri core.
maybe after you own a couple of balsa blades you will see the difference.
it's how it looks.... the speed far from the table....the weight... balsa blades are all around 73g, primorac carbon is around 90g.

Reactions: thomas.pong
No No No You have got this all wrong!

1. I love the feel of my Primorac Carbon. I beleive it is due to the Honoki/Poawlonia surface layer.
2. I think its a bit too fast, I currently use Rakza 7 soft to slow it down. This works really good.
3. I like an all wood blade.
4. I like to have 3 layers, where the outer layer is Hinoki and the core is a little softer to reduce the speed.

So the Balsa is not important at all, but I checked the wood on the primorac and I think it is too soft to be anything else.

Regarding the weight. I know perfectly well the weight of balsa, But what I don't know is the weight of Tamca5000.

Regardless the closest to my requirements is Short_Pimple's suggestion. But I am afraid it still may be a bit too fast.

Cheers
L-zr

You might consider so get a blade custome made for you. There are a lot of skilled blade makers. If you like the feel of primorac carbon, get a blade built with 1/3 less core strength(which is kiri - 100% sure).

I haven't given up on Your H-3-9, I checked with my Tibhar dealer and he can get one for me should I want one. To order from a "blade maker" is always a risk, specially if You are asking for something new, You never know what you'll get. Well see what I'll do...

Cheers
L-zr