re-visiting Neo Hurricane 3, provincial 37 and 38 degree

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Honestly I dont see point of playing without boosting hurricane 3. This rubber must be boosted even a little bit because without it, it feels like stone without any responsivness.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
While on the subject of H3, can someone tell me the difference between the #22 sponge and the regular (#20)?

#18 - New Sponges used on Memo. Elastic "euro" like sponge. No tuners needed.

#19 - Made right after speed glue ban was made and was suppose to be used in conjuction with the DHS Intensifier EX sheets. Power was weak and this never caught on. Intensifier sheets were then banned so production has ceased.

#20 - Original Speed Glue era Orange sponge. Made for use with Speed Glue and or tuners. Most feel this is pretty much the best series when used with speed glue.

#21 - Blue Sponge version which was a tad softer. Blue sponge was designed to soak up tuner/speed glue even more enhancing the effect.

#20 NEO - NEO Orange sponge. Made to mimic the effects of the #20 sponge speed glued. No tuners are necessary but you can add additional tune if you want (if you do this make sure you don't do it on a soft sponge like 38 hardness unless you want alot of bottoming out).

Source http://mytabletennis.net/forum/different-hurricane-3-sponges_topic33475_post409933.html#409933

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thanks Kuba, but this goes from #18 to #21 and the MyTT thread doesn't seem to have a definite answer on the #22 sponge.

Are all non-Neo H3 Provincial Blue Sponge considered #22?

This one doesn't say: http://www.princett.com/EN/USD/prod...tennis-Pimples-in-Rubber-Blue-Sponge-407.html

This has same packaging but says #22: https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=ProvinicalblueN022

This one has different packaging and says #22: http://ttnpp.com/store/dhs/738-dhs-hurricane-3-provincial-version-6-edges-6.html

Are they all the same?

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Thanks Kuba, but this goes from #18 to #21 and the MyTT thread doesn't seem to have a definite answer on the #22 sponge.

Are all non-Neo H3 Provincial Blue Sponge considered #22?

This one doesn't say: http://www.princett.com/EN/USD/prod...tennis-Pimples-in-Rubber-Blue-Sponge-407.html

This has same packaging but says #22: https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=ProvinicalblueN022

This one has different packaging and says #22: http://ttnpp.com/store/dhs/738-dhs-hurricane-3-provincial-version-6-edges-6.html

Are they all the same?

I would just ask the seller. If the picture shows number 22 then it would better arrive with 22 lasered (I do not know a proper word, etched? engraved? printed?) on the sponge. Also, correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the Blue Sponge just more reactant to the booster?

I shifted to a euro rubber in the backhand today because I gave my student the H3 37 for both fh and BH. He used to have h3 39 non neo fh and T05 for his bh. His shots are much better for spin and the speed is much more for the FH. The backhand surprised me as it has a lot of misses due to a higher arc but can be adjusted eventually.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I shifted to a euro rubber in the backhand today because I gave my student the H3 37 for both fh and BH. He used to have h3 39 non neo fh and T05 for his bh. His shots are much better for spin and the speed is much more for the FH. The backhand surprised me as it has a lot of misses due to a higher arc but can be adjusted eventually.

Thanks for your input Yogi bear.I see you have mentioned using H3 37 on forehand a couple of times. Im just being curious, doesn't 37 (or any softer sponge) changes the forehand stroke too much? It (H3 37) is so very good and I am using it on my backhand. However when I am using it on my forehand, it feels like its "letting me off" too easy. Its encouraging a more compact shot rather than a big and complete swing.

I used to be (probably still am) big fan of softer rubbers on the forehand. I liked how the soft sponge gives me good feel and longer dwell time to finish a stroke, but now I am really coming to realisation that slightly harder sponge encourages bigger stroke, and the ball quality is also better. What is your take on this? Cause I would love to go back to using softer rubber on the forehand, but everyone is saying I shouldn't ! 😕

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong

Thanks for your input Yogi bear.I see you have mentioned using H3 37 on forehand a couple of times. Im just being curious, doesn't 37 (or any softer sponge) changes the forehand stroke too much? It (H3 37) is so very good and I am using it on my backhand. However when I am using it on my forehand, it feels like its "letting me off" too easy. Its encouraging a more compact shot rather than a big and complete swing.

I used to be (probably still am) big fan of softer rubbers on the forehand. I liked how the soft sponge gives me good feel and longer dwell time to finish a stroke, but now I am really coming to realisation that slightly harder sponge encourages bigger stroke, and the ball quality is also better. What is your take on this? Cause I would love to go back to using softer rubber on the forehand, but everyone is saying I shouldn't ! 😕

It is not as soft as soft euro rubbers that it changes your contact and stroke entirely even when boosted. I have used it for almost 3 months now and even still do full swings in the forehand and not compact strokes because it is easy to handle though for counters close to the table it should be compact. Advantages are you can hit like using a euro rubber while having the same spin as 39 or 40 h3, easier handling because it does not hit the net as often as the harder ones especially on flat hits, better control due to the speed not being too fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011

It is not as soft as soft euro rubbers that it changes your contact and stroke entirely even when boosted. I have used it for almost 3 months now and even still do full swings in the forehand and not compact strokes because it is easy to handle though for counters close to the table it should be compact. Advantages are you can hit like using a euro rubber while having the same spin as 39 or 40 h3, easier handling because it does not hit the net as often as the harder ones especially on flat hits, better control due to the speed not being too fast.

Good point, indeed it doesnt feel as soft as euro rubbers. Maybe I will try using it on forehand again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Just a question regarding H3 neo rubber weight - I know the DHS rubbers (in particular commercial versions) have a tendency of bigger variations in terms of quality control and hence weight variations. However, anyone has an overview of what are the average weights for rubbers cut to a standard 150 x 157 cm blade depending on sponge hardness. Specifically for provincial versions where quality control is better?:

1) 37 degree
2) 38 degree
3) 39 degree
4) 40 degree
5) 41 degrees

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Just a question regarding H3 neo rubber weight - I know the DHS rubbers (in particular commercial versions) have a tendency of bigger variations in terms of quality control and hence weight variations. However, anyone has an overview of what are the average weights for rubbers cut to a standard 150 x 157 cm blade depending on sponge hardness. Specifically for provincial versions where quality control is better?:

1) 37 degree
2) 38 degree
3) 39 degree
4) 40 degree
5) 41 degrees

H37 Neo OS 2.1 - 48g, H41 BS 2.15 - 52g, both provincial. (I tend to cut with some overlap over the edge, but it won't make much, I suppose.)

Last edited:
says Rozena! You complete me.

i bought the 37 for my BH but ended up using it on my FH it just felt better that way and for some unexplained reason so does the 39 on my BH

This is exactly what I did too. I think our FH is not good enough to optimize our spin to fully engage it. Hence using a grippier version can reduce our unforced error.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
I think Carbonado 45 is actually slower than HL5.

And if I remember right, Carbonado 145 is close to Viscaria/TB ALC. And 245 is faster and stiffer (more carbon per m2).

i agree - i have both the 45 and the hl5. the 45 is much much slower