Spinlord Waran II

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
I am more impressed by the Pong Professor's BH consistency. Two of my three practice partners us SP. The flat, low over the net BH balls are hard to get back mostly because they don't bounce up very high. I bet he could do the same with many rubbers.
Sink effect?

There is a little bit of sink effect. Enough that opponent's need to make slight adjustments but not enough to be truly disruptive. I've posted full written details on my website if you are interested.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
What do you think of Warran ll vs. Yasaka Razka Po both in backhand ???
Since the W2 is harder it inherently - by default - is a little slower. However, given that it is harder, you can add more power to the ball itself, which in turn means you can play faster shots in a more controlled manner, if you get what I mean.

Softer rubbers are inherently faster than harder rubbers (more bouncy), but you can add more power with a harder rubber in a more controlled manner without hitting through the sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Used waran 2 much more recently. Felt that w2 were much harder and probably more grip. I believe PO is much easier to play with due to the softness and probably easier to attack more balls for the same reason. W2 maybe better for more passive play?

I have tried several pimple rubbers. I enjoyed Victas VO 102 the most and use it now but what you should have probably depends on how you want to play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
I would like a short pip to open up with, flick attack block and hit. What thickness is best for that with Victas VO 102???
Used waran 2 much more recently. Felt that w2 were much harder and probably more grip. I believe PO is much easier to play with due to the softness and probably easier to attack more balls for the same reason. W2 maybe better for more passive play?

I have tried several pimple rubbers. I enjoyed Victas VO 102 the most and use it now but what you should have probably depends on how you want to play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No short pimple is good for opening up. Think thickest possible for attack. Maybe different if you use penhold?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
No short pimple is good for opening up. Think thickest possible for attack. Maybe different if you use penhold?
I agree that they aren't as good as long pips. Greg Letts basically said you roll or match the speed of the spin with LPs. You can do the same with SPs. The reason why this works is because the SPs are not trying to reverse the spin rather go with the spin. I do what I call wrist loops with SP to return short back spins over the table. They aren't flicks because I don't count on a line of sight shots. It looks like the pong professor is better than I am. I bet he can open with the SP judging by his back hand strokes in the video.

I would agree with Lula is he mention trying to counter loop where the SPs must revers the spin but rolling with the spin is much different.

I have only played with 802-40 or 802. I prefer 802-40 1.8mm and 802 1.5 mm. You can't counter loop with these rubbers so don't even try but you can roll, go with the spin, with these rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I think thicker, grippier, and softer pips are better to open with (as in flicks and occasional looping) but they are also bouncier thus make pushing and blocking less forgiving.

But for driving and smashing speed, I don't think thickness makes much difference. There is a point just before the rubber bottoms out that feels "mushier" giving the impression of slowing down. At that point, softer and thicker pips have a more pronounced mushy feel whereas harder ones or ones with thinner sponge transition through in a more linear fashion.

When you hit hard enough to get past that point, I don't think the rubber makes any difference, just how solid/stiff the blade and how much rebound the ball itself is capable of.

I prefer 1.8-2mm because they feel crispier overall.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Find short pimple rubber very complicated overall. It would be good if the sellers or manufacturers could give more information about them. The size of the pips, grip, how they are aligned, thickness and so on.

Yes, of course it is possible to open up with short pimple! But compared to inverted i think they are not as good.

Do the blade impact more with thinner sponge?

Edit: Add more. Our chinese coach that use penhold and short pimple have played national team in China. I used harder short pimple rubber before since i felt it had more control and i could hit harder. He said that it just felt that the ball went faster, but slowed down when it come closer to the opponent. He meant it was the opposite with softer. He also thinks softer is better because it is easier to smash everything back. I use softer short pimple rubber now and no longer feel bad control and feel i still can hit hard. Easier to smash back more balls since i get some helpt from the softer sponge. I am also quite tall so can not play so close to the table so think softer is good for this too.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Find short pimple rubber very complicated overall. It would be good if the sellers or manufacturers could give more information about them. The size of the pips, grip, how they are aligned, thickness and so on.

Yes, of course it is possible to open up with short pimple! But compared to inverted i think they are not as good.

Do the blade impact more with thinner sponge?

There is a Chinese website that has cross-sectional photos and measurements of shape/size/density/alignment/sponge etc: http://www.guoqiuhui.net/Home/Goods/details/goods_id/2894

Can't tell the grip, but if two looks similar, my experience is that they feel similar too. ie Victas 102 and Blowfish are more or less interchangeable to me.

I think the blade matters more regardless of how thick the rubber is, but that's just from what I feel when hitting, can't really prove/measure anything :p.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
So all in all. is fextra 7 blade still a good choise for fast soft pips in 2,0-max like Rakza po, used in bh???

BTW - as mentioned in my full written review, apart for a little bit of chipping around the edges where I make contact with the table, the Waran II playing characteristics do not change appreciably with time in my opinion. I have sheets that are ~2 years or more old and they are just fine (except for the chipping).

The W2 does not come with built-in glue effect (and isn't factory-boosted, I think), which is why it remains fairly constant.
Hi, the productor says differently: https://spinlord-tt.de/products/waran-ii/
Furthermore i use Orkan II that has same sponge and has a clear built-in speed glue effect (https://spinlord-tt.de/products/preview-orkan-ii/):
"The version named ORKan has a soft silver colored sponge (38-40 degrees hardness

This version named ORKan 2 has a hard pink colored sponge (44-46 degrees hardness)

Both sponges are high speed sponges with a good build-in speed-gluing effect. The pink sponge is noticable faster then the silver sponge, but also more difficult to control (by the way, the pink sponge is the sponge of the Waran II, while the silver sponge is a new development)."
In the Waran II page is not mentioned the speed glue built-in effect, but i noticed that effect on my Orkan II, that i use since 2018, previously 1.8 mm and now 2.0 mm; the copy of 2018 is now noticeable slower than when i mounted it for the first time.