Best blade for attackers? ALC or SZLC?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
You can attack with all wood 5ply blade mate and still have good speed on the ball what is your level and what are you looking for? Just to mention even some pros stay away from szlc blades because they are too fast.
Totally agree, as an amateur, you can play from 1st to the elite level of amateurs with all kind of cheap allwoodblades. I've tried a lot of carbon blades, but the best I feel with this one BOER 7 Ply Arylate Carbon Fiber Table Tennis Blade Lightweight Ping Pong Racket Blade Table Tennis Accessories High Quantity
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOV3lSv

I play penhold, both sides attack with RPB, tacky rubbers on both sides, the next blade will be Yinhe 9s and one day I'll try the real Hurricane Hao.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: StephanieFan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Thank you guys! I’ve been playing with an all wood blade and would like to up my game with more speed hence the switch to ALC or SZLC.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hello! Stiga Optimum-Seven.

A 7 ply blade that is pretty quick!! What are you looking for? More speed?? That won’t necessarily ‘up your game’ As one of the others asked, what sort of level do you play?
Any footage of you playing?
This can help get you better advice!!;)

Reactions: StephanieFan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. ALC blades should be fine. But ZLC and Super ZLC blades, those are more for Butterfly separating people from their money. Notice how many more top pros use ALC than ZLC or SZLC.

What caused you to get an Optimum Seven Blade? What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of the blade?

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe one day Sergey Tsos who I used to call Scoobie Doo (Where are you - war stories later) might tell you that Der_Echte yesterday used a certain 5 ply all wood blade made by a certain TTD member who makes blades (in my sig) and that using said blades, I hit a few balls past said Mr. Tsos, which doesn't happen very often as Mr. Tsos can cover a lot of ground to retrieve the ball.

Locally, when I playper POUNDS a power shot, I like to call that shot a "Quarter Pounder"... and incorperate that phrase into a sentence to make sum LULZ. Like say, "Dude just opened a bag of Quarter Pounders" or "Dude fed him a Quarter Pounder"...

Point being, some wood blades have PLENTY of top end performance at our amateur levels. I can switch almost intercahngable among 6 or 8 blades I carry frequently, a few re composite, most are not, they are overall similar class with good enough feel to do what I need to, there are so many endless workable combinations we cannot even get to a "Quarter" of them.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Either. They feel a little different. Both are good. Designed for same type of player. I prefer ALC.

If you go with a faster 7 ply all wood blade you can still get the speed. It is more on the rubbers nowadays. Even with medium speed blades, you will still get a fast racket if you combine it with a fast rubber.

Reactions: thomas.pong
I own both ALC (in the form of kevlar carbon (according to donic catalogue)) and ZJK SZLC. I would say different folks, different strokes. It really depends on what you are looking for. I find it hard to describe how it feels. I just can say that I know some who like ALC and I know some who like SZLC. ALC has a more subdued contact. I can feel a significant amount of dwell, and it still has good speed while helping you generate spin. It has less vibrations. SZLC has some sort of ping. The contact is not subdued, and there are some artificial non woody vibrations. It has dwell but not as good as ALC. It has great speed, and while the spin is good, I prefer the ALC due to it having a more subdued contact and less ping, but that is just me. There are really people who prefer the bounciness and ping of ZLC and SZLC.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Both types of blades are meant for attackers, but there are also several types of attackers: loopers, hitters, all-round...

As Kenta Matsudaira recently pointed out in a Butterfly Japan video in which he tries various of their composite blades, ALC (softer) is more spin oriented whereas ZLC (harder, more crisp) is more speed oriented. It's kinda like the difference between 5-ply and 7-ply for all-wood blades. However, that doesn't mean you can't go fast with ALC or 5-ply, or can't spin like crazy with ZLC or 7-ply, it's a matter of feel and personal preference.

Like others have said, you can always go for a faster 7-ply all-wood blade. Or if you're looking for something faster that feels quite a bit softer, an outer ALC. Or something faster that still feels hard and crisp, an outer ZLC (you don't necessarily have to go SZLC, which feels even harder and is even faster, most pros who use ZLC including Jun Mizutani don't use SZLC, LYJ is an exception and he has incredible touch).

Last edited:
Reactions: latej