Rubber for nittaku acoustic

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Just a reminder that he's only been playing casually for 2 years... before we recommend super fast professional rubbers like Dignics, G1 or boosted H3...

It's fine if you use them, doesn't mean they're for everyone. Be considerate of someone's level and where they're at in their TT journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richie
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thank you very much for your detailed response!

I am usually playing drill with friends.
I am comfortable with blocking, short push and drive on both wings. Flick only on BH and topspin mainly on FH. I want to be able to topspin lift more so I can transition from backspin push to looping faster.

RDo you have suggestion about 1.8mm vs 2.0mm?

I heard that harder rubbers are needed for the lager and plastic ball. So I didn't consider Rakza 7 soft, or rubbers that are softer or equal to medium. Do you think it's a myth or it's not for my level yet?

Thanks!

Thanks for the background info, it helps in giving you more accurate recommendations tailored to your needs. It's good you're running drills with your friends, remember to run random drills on top of set ones and also play matches so you can practice what you learn in a more random offsetting way too.

Regarding 1.8 vs 2.0mm, it can depend largely on the rubbers you choose for your level. For exemple, I wouldn't recommend G1 at all to you, but if you insisted to go with G1 and asked what thickness, I would say 1.8mm for damage control lol.

There's a trend towards harder rubbers for pros and elite amateur players because of the 40+ plastic ball, but other rubbers can play just fine with it too, otherwise they wouldn't sell anymore, depends on level and preference.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thank you all for the suggestions!

It seems the following gain most recommendations. (also from https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?24757-Rubbers-for-beginner-Chinese-vs-European)
FH: h3/h3 neo it's better for telling I am not doing right?
BH: vega asia dp (paddle palace doesn't carry the intro version.)

Do there make sense?

Really depends if you want to learn more of a Chinese forehand stroke or a European/Japanese one, and how much work you're willing to put in for better results in the long run, or if you want more immediate results. Plus if your friends use Euro/Japanese rubbers and you train with them, might be a good idea to go that route.

If you want to do H3 on the FH, it takes more work, the rubber is not going to help you with speed and kick, your body (legs and core mostly) is going to have to learn how to do the work, the rubber can be more unforgiving on certain shots (the ball will die if you don't do the right stroke) but you can tell very clearly you did something wrong. In the long run, you will only be better for it. If you choose H3 on the FH, it might be good to get something not too soft on the BH, otherwise the transition from one wing to the other can be rough especially in the short game and looping underspin....

FH: H3N commercial version 2.15mm unboosted (Neo might be an easier transition from what you're currently using)
BH: Xiom Vega Intro or Stiga DNA Future 2.0mm (both 47.5 degree but introductory tensor rubbers)

If you go the Euro/Japanese route, there's different ways you can go in terms of choosing rubbers but you don't want to go too fast or too hard. The rubbers will do a lot of the work for you, even if your stroke is not very good (or you're not using your lower body enough), the ball will still go forward, might land on the other end of the table when it shouldn't have, can give you the impression that your stroke was good when it wasn't, and it will often overshoot. That's why you don't want to go too crazy when picking tensor rubbers.

Recommendation #1

FH: Vega Intro or DNA Future 2.0mm
BH: same or Vega Europe 2.0mm

Recommendation #2

FH: Vega Europe or Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft in 2.0mm
BH: Vega Europe or Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft in 2.0mm

(PS: Vega Asia DF is too fast)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Just a reminder that he's only been playing casually for 2 years... before we recommend super fast professional rubbers like Dignics, G1 or boosted H3...
Thomas! Have you played with G1? I have not, but from what I heard and read it supposed to be rubber suitable for beginners. Not bouncy or much catapult effect, but still with good spin capabilities.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thomas! Have you played with G1? I have not, but from what I heard and read it supposed to be rubber suitable for beginners. Not bouncy or much catapult effect, but still with good spin capabilities.

Hi Sam, yes I've played with G1 (I really like the Fastarc series). It's a high-end top of the line rubber that rivals with T05, and it's been the best selling rubber in Japan for the past 5 years. No wonder many pros and high level players in Japan, Nittaku-sponsored and not, use it. It has a more classic sponge (not as porous) than T05, and is not bouncy, as catapulting or as spin sensitive as T05, but it is still a very fast and spinny rubber not suitable for beginners, the same way T05 is not suitable for beginners.

PS: I like your setup!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Really depends if you want to learn more of a Chinese forehand stroke or a European/Japanese one, and how much work you're willing to put in for better results in the long run, or if you want more immediate results. Plus if your friends use Euro/Japanese rubbers and you train with them, might be a good idea to go that route.

If you want to do H3 on the FH, it takes more work, the rubber is not going to help you with speed and kick, your body (legs and core mostly) is going to have to learn how to do the work, the rubber can be more unforgiving on certain shots (the ball will die if you don't do the right stroke) but you can tell very clearly you did something wrong. In the long run, you will only be better for it. If you choose H3 on the FH, it might be good to get something not too soft on the BH, otherwise the transition from one wing to the other can be rough especially in the short game and looping underspin....

FH: H3N commercial version 2.15mm unboosted (Neo might be an easier transition from what you're currently using)
BH: Xiom Vega Intro or Stiga DNA Future 2.0mm (both 47.5 degree but introductory tensor rubbers)

If you go the Euro/Japanese route, there's different ways you can go in terms of choosing rubbers but you don't want to go too fast or too hard. The rubbers will do a lot of the work for you, even if your stroke is not very good (or you're not using your lower body enough), the ball will still go forward, might land on the other end of the table when it shouldn't have, can give you the impression that your stroke was good when it wasn't, and it will often overshoot. That's why you don't want to go too crazy when picking tensor rubbers.

Recommendation #1

FH: Vega Intro or DNA Future 2.0mm
BH: same or Vega Europe 2.0mm

Recommendation #2

FH: Vega Europe or Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft in 2.0mm
BH: Vega Europe or Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft in 2.0mm

(PS: Vega Asia DF is too fast)

Thanks Again for the advice!

Finally went with H3N on FH and DNA future on BH.
Happy that the buying part is done and can do some hitting :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thanks Again for the advice!

Finally went with H3N on FH and DNA future on BH.
Happy that the buying part is done and can do some hitting :)

You're welcome!

It's going to be a great setup. Let us know how you fare with it in the future.

The Nittaku Acoustic will last you years or a lifetime, such a great blade (Ma Long used it years ago). A few years from now, you can start boosting your H3N on the FH, and upgrade your BH rubber to something like Rakza 7 or Vega Pro but no hurry.

Practice and enjoy!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Got the racket yesterday and tested for 1 hour.

First feeling is that the handle of acoustic is small. I am getting some grip tape to see if it helps to fix handle size. And the balance is a little towards the head, which is a little different than my old racket. My hand size is not big, 18cm from middle finger to thumb. So please consider the large handle version if you are interested.

Talking about playing.
FH: if I block with no force at all, H3/acoustic will give a weird feeling of broken racket. When hit with force, that feeling would go away. I don't know if it's because of the tackiness of the rubber, not hitting the sweet spot or something else. h3 also has less spin in serve compare to serving using bh rubber?

BH: maybe a little more dwell time. No big change yet compare to FH.

I guess it will take some time for me to get used to it. It's interesting that the feedback from the racket can be this different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
BersaKAIN;338696Got the racket yesterday and tested for 1 hour.

First feeling is that the handle of acoustic is small. I am getting some grip tape to see if it helps to fix handle size. And the balance is a little towards the head, which is a little different than my old racket. My hand size is not big, 18cm from middle finger to thumb. So please consider the large handle version if you are interested.

Talking about playing.
FH: if I block with no force at all, H3/acoustic will give a weird feeling of broken racket. When hit with force, that feeling would go away. I don't know if it's because of the tackiness of the rubber, not hitting the sweet spot or something else. h3 also has less spin in serve compare to serving using bh rubber?

I guess it will take some time for me to get used to it. It's interesting that the feedback from the racket can be this different.

h3 needs break in time.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
BersaKAIN;338696Got the racket yesterday and tested for 1 hour.

Talking about playing.

The handle of the Acoustic FL is definitely small, even the Large version. It's normal for the balance to be towards the head (it is for most blades), especially with the small handle and rubbers on the mid to heavy side like H3N and DNA Future. Grip tape will definitely help with the grip and balance.

Like Kuba said, a new sheet of H3 takes some break in time. In fact, your whole setup will take some getting used to, weeks not just one hour, especially coming from a premade bat and also switching to a Chinese tacky rubber. For blocks with H3, you definitely need to engage more, otherwise it's dead, same with drives, hits and loops, it's a demanding rubber like we previously said, but it rewards you when you do things right. You need to focus on brushing the ball, go up more than forward, even keep the racket more open in most cases. Lastly H3 is one of the most spinny and controlled rubbers ever for serves and the short game, so if you don't feel enough spin, you definitely need to practice use of the wrist, brushing and the snap.

With enough practice, you'll get used to your racket and realize how different your FH and BH rubbers are. And yea, feedback and playing characteristics can be very different from one setup to another. Welcome to true TT equipment!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
The handle of the Acoustic FL is definitely small, even the Large version. It's normal for the balance to be towards the head (it is for most blades), especially with the small handle and rubbers on the mid to heavy side like H3N and DNA Future. Grip tape will definitely help with the grip and balance.

Like Kuba said, a new sheet of H3 takes some break in time. In fact, your whole setup will take some getting used to, weeks not just one hour, especially coming from a premade bat and also switching to a Chinese tacky rubber. For blocks with H3, you definitely need to engage more, otherwise it's dead, same with drives, hits and loops, it's a demanding rubber like we previously said, but it rewards you when you do things right. You need to focus on brushing the ball, go up more than forward, even keep the racket more open in most cases. Lastly H3 is one of the most spinny and controlled rubbers ever for serves and the short game, so if you don't feel enough spin, you definitely need to practice use of the wrist, brushing and the snap.

With enough practice, you'll get used to your racket and realize how different your FH and BH rubbers are. And yea, feedback and playing characteristics can be very different from one setup to another. Welcome to true TT equipment!

Ahh, now I regret a little bit about buying the normal version haha. Maybe need a or two layers of grip tape.

More practice it is! I also need more time on understanding the feedback. Feel like a lot more places to pay attention :)