changing H3 NEO 37/ 2.15 to H3 NEO 40/2.15...........

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Many balls in the net.

Seriously: Your technique has to be better to use the harder sponge properly. If you hit it well, you will have more speed and spin but if you don't have good technique, many shots will likely land in the net.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hhmmm, thanks guys.
I am confessing that i am only telling you half the facts.
I took the 40/2.15 of my favorite home made blade, ( the hammer") and I am putting the 37/2.15, which i took off the Innerforce on to it.
I could not possibly ask you what would happen when I put the 37 on my favorite blade as it is an """unknown quantity"""" BUT it plays better than the Butterfly blade.
This is why I thought I ask """the other way round""""

sorry

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
When looking at your setup, I always thought the H3 39 was on your FH and the H3N 37 on your BH.

What's your other blade like btw, comp, thickness, playing characteristics...?

You are correct Thomas, that is how i started with the inneforce blade.
But that 37 neo did simply do nothing as a BH but kinda worked for me on the FH.

As for my "homey blade, it is also an innerforce but just something I glued together with bits and pieces I had left over.

IMG_20201226_124116.jpg

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Yea, H3 can be especially tough to use on the backhand, even in 37, even boosted.

Are you moving the 37 to your preferred blade because you also prefer this rubber to the 39 on your FH?
What rubber are you going to use for your BH on each blade?

No, I am moving the 37 to my favorite blade simply to check if it makes an improvement to the 39. I will find out tomorrow
at the club session. If it does not make a difference I will go back to the original setup.
I am just dong it because the 37 does not really work on the butterfly.

BH is working fine with 40 on my favorite- and 39 on the butterfly blade (.Not NEOs)

The 37 so far has been disappointing. I got it because the common wisdom seems to suggest to have a soft rubber on the BH and a harder one on the FH and when this did not work for me i just turned the blade around.
I might even give up on the NEOs altogether and just run maybe a 38 standard H3 on the backhand.
Might also have a try boosting the BH-rubber but I am not sure what boosting a rubber would do to its blocking -qualities ???

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I suppose it's horses for courses to a certain extent!!
I quite liked the 37 degree H3 Neo Provincial on my BH, especially when boosted. The Neo sponge may play differently to the std H3 37 sponge.
I have tried std H3 40 degree boosted, and this played well on both BH & FH. After boosting, the 'dead' feel was replaced with a nice bounce of 5-6 bounces compared to 3 when doing the bounce test, tackiness was unaffected.
So maybe try boosting the Std H3 37 degree and give it a go!!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I suppose it's horses for courses to a certain extent!!
I quite liked the 37 degree H3 Neo Provincial on my BH, especially when boosted. The Neo sponge may play differently to the std H3 37 sponge.
I have tried std H3 40 degree boosted, and this played well on both BH & FH. After boosting, the 'dead' feel was replaced with a nice bounce of 5-6 bounces compared to 3 when doing the bounce test, tackiness was unaffected.
So maybe try boosting the Std H3 37 degree and give it a go!!

i can most definitively accept the horses for courses explanation 😁 or maybe i am simply an insensitive Klotz and can not feel any difference.
I do the bounce test with the dirt protecting plastics on, as otherwise the stickiness won't let the balls back up.

With both blades side by side on the table i let the ball drop from about 30cm
All 4 rubber bounce 5-7 times there is no difference.
This of course regardless of the fact that on 1 sides we have 2 red NEOs ( 37 and 40) and 2 black H3s on the other sides. ( 39 and 40)

It is kinda weird ..............but interesting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
No, I am moving the 37 to my favorite blade simply to check if it makes an improvement to the 39. I will find out tomorrow
at the club session. If it does not make a difference I will go back to the original setup.
I am just dong it because the 37 does not really work on the butterfly.

BH is working fine with 40 on my favorite- and 39 on the butterfly blade (.Not NEOs)

The 37 so far has been disappointing. I got it because the common wisdom seems to suggest to have a soft rubber on the BH and a harder one on the FH and when this did not work for me i just turned the blade around.
I might even give up on the NEOs altogether and just run maybe a 38 standard H3 on the backhand.
Might also have a try boosting the BH-rubber but I am not sure what boosting a rubber would do to its blocking -qualities ???

When I play FH topspin the ball flies more (far) when playing with H41 in compare to H37, similarly for drive and for BH topspin and drive.

What do you mean when you say that H37 doesn't really work on butterfly? Too slow?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
latej;339035When I play FH topspin the ball flies more (far) when playing with H41 in compare to H37, similarly for drive and for BH topspin and drive.

What do you mean when you say that H37 doesn't really work on butterfly? Too slow?

My apologies if I do not have the proper words to explain what i mean. I am not experienced much in the TT-jargon. 😐

A few days ago I did a FH - topspin session against the club robot. I found that I did much easier and better with my homemade blade
with the red 40 NEO than I did with the Innerforce Butterfly that had the 37 NEO on. This confirms what happens to you when you compare
H41 to H37.
It is not the lack of speed , both blades and both rubber give plenty. It just seems that it is easier to get a precise hit over the net and closer
to the point that I am aiming for with the harder rubber. (Maybe not a surprise !!!!)

Anyway, the 2 NEOs have now been swapped over and I will have a try with them tomorrow.
The conclusion might well be that harder Hurricanes, or at least the middle ones like the 39 are better suited to my style.
Just quickly about """My STYLE"""", my style is trying to hit the ball....;) wanted to put a giggling emjoi but it does not work

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
If you have decent skills, H37 is actually easier to use than H40.

Yogi, my skills are at best mediocre and I might still be bragging here. 😁
Maybe , if I want to stick with the Hurricanes I should go to about 39degrees and go for the thinnest sponge they make. I seem to recall
having seen a 1.8mm version, maybe on Tabletennis11-shop. I might also have to forget about the NEOs and stick with the standard version.

It all is a journey and i am not disheartened , just confused.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I'm a guy with, let's say, not the best backhand technique. Though I'm used to H3N 39-41 deg on forehand, I'm not able to use softer versions for backhand in a good way. I tried the 37 & 38 deg on forehand, but it's no good. The speed is slower, and no kick/catapult as you get with the harder versions. Now for backhand. If you like a softer chinese rubber for backhand, try 729 Focus III Snipe. It's available in three hardnesses 42, 44 and 46. It's linear, but it gives you a bit more bounce than H3N 37 deg. It's quite cheap and light, but no spin monster and no tackiness. This one is what I've used before, but I have also tried the TSP Ventus Soft & Spin versions. They are soft and got a bit more grip than F3S. Then I tried Andros Rasanter R37, Hexer Grip SFX and Hexer Grip. They are in the same area as the TSP rubbers. Don't know if it's any use for you, but this is my experience...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
lodro;339068

for backhand, try 729 Focus III Snipe. It's available in three hardnesses 42, 44 and 46. It's linear, but it gives you a bit more bounce than H3N 37 deg.

If as you say it gives more bounce, how do you go for blocking ?

It's a different bounce. :) Perhaps it has something to do with that the top sheet is softer than in the H3N rubbers, and it's less spin sensitive, but blocking was great for me with F3S. For a While I altered between TinArc 3 and F3S, but I must say that I found the F3S a bit better in all aspects and cheaper and lighter. It's a bit like European rubbers, but linear. I had the 42 and 44 deg for backhand. Started with 42 deg, but after a while I found it a bit slow, so I went for the 44 deg wich is very nice. I think that both the 44 and 46 deg works fine for controlled forehand lopping style game, but some like it faster on backhand as well, so maybe the 46 deg would be right for them?

Reactions: latej and lodro