says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Pitchford...😭

• Sad
Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021

Yup, Hirano, Ishikawa, and Diaz are still seeded despite being wild cards. I've been studying and following Tennis the past few months to have a better understanding of how WTT will play out. WTT is basically ripping off the ATP and WTA tournament formats and systems lol. In Tennis, wild cards are still seeded based on their WR and just because you are a wild card doesn't mean you can't be seeded. Novak Djokovic was the top seed in the 2017 Mexico Open despite being a wild card in the same tournament, and Andy Murray was the top seed in 2017 Barcelona Open despite being a wild card.

Even the way WTT draws seeded players follows tennis. Compare the WTTC draw (128 players) and the Tennis Australian Open Draw (also 128 players ) Traditionally, in Table Tennis for the WTTC, seed 1 is in position 1 and seed 2 is in position 128 and there's no difference with tennis in this regard. However, traditionally, in Table Tennis, Seeds 3 and 4 would be drawn either in position 64 or position 65. On the other hand, in Tennis, seeds 3 and 4 are drawn either in position 33 or position 96 Seeds. For the top 5-8 seeds in table tennis, they would be randomly drawn in positions 32, 33, 96 and 97. In Tennis, the positions that the 5-8 seeds can be draw into are a bit different: 32, 64, 65, 97. To illustrate, you can compare and contrast the difference in positioning between the 2019 WTTC draw with the 2021 Tennis Australian Open Draw

In the end, it doesn't really change the draw since regardless of the slight difference in positioning, the top 4 seeds all get their own quarters and seeds 5-8 can be drawn randomly in any of the 4 quarters. However, I can understand the confusion on who the seeded players are for the WTT contenders tournament given that we are all used to seeds 3 and 4 being drawn randomly into positions 16 or 17 (for a 32 player main draw) while now, in WTT, seeds 3 and 4 are drawn either to position 9 or 24.

Oh I didn't notice. For some reason I thought that the women's singles was perfectly snaked. It appears both events are perfectly snaked for the top four though. Is that a coincidence or by design? I am assuming WTT will use the same system as pro tennis.

Jan 2018
I'll be cheering for Ishikawa. Ike, Ike!

Jan 2018
Semenova: Fault! Not behind the line. The ball must be behind the line.
Assar: 😭

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021
My summary of Cho Daesong's controversial win over Andreas Levenko (both players have questionably legal service): https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/04...es-cho-daesongs-3-2-win-over-andreas-levenko/

Here is also a summary of Hugo Calderano's Table 1 win over An Jaehyun (https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/03/live-hugo-calderano-vs-an-jaehyun/), but it was a relatively less interesting match. It was a table 1 match, but someone posted a recording on Youtube, although I'm not sure how long it can stay up because I believe ITTF tends to be more stringent about copyright on Youtube:

My summary of Cho Daesong's controversial win over Andreas Levenko (both players have questionably legal service): https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/04...es-cho-daesongs-3-2-win-over-andreas-levenko/

Here is also a summary of Hugo Calderano's Table 1 win over An Jaehyun (https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/03/live-hugo-calderano-vs-an-jaehyun/), but it was a relatively less interesting match. It was a table 1 match, but someone posted a recording on Youtube, although I'm not sure how long it can stay up because I believe ITTF tends to be more stringent about copyright on Youtube:

After watching the Cho vs Levenko match, I actually didn't see a single questionable serve by Cho, at least in the first 2 games. His arm was completely out of the way early on in the motion. Meanwhile, some of Levenko's serves might be questionable (although not blatantly illegal). Like the one where he was faulted in the 2nd game @2:48: https://youtu.be/XOhINxrAG9I?t=168. It's not obvious, but one could argue his shoulder area was kinda blocking the contact of the ball. Either way, his intense anger on the umpire is probably unwarranted. Imagine how much worse it would've been if this was the Olympics or WTTC.

Jan 2018
Levenko's serve, even that one, looks fine.

Maharu Yoshimura: 😏

• Haha
Reactions: Janard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Anybody knows if there are replays of the WTT livestream anywhere? It's ridiculous that the youtube feeds can be replayed whereas the main feed cannot!!!