Advantages tacky hybird rubbers

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi guys,what are the advantages of a tacky topsheet?what is the diffrence between a tacky hybird rubber vs a europeen slightly tacky rubber?For an example Rakza Z vs El-p
Hey again,

First off, traditional Euro/Japanese rubbers are not even slightly tacky since they don't stick, but they are grippy thanks to their porous sponge and tensioned topsheet.

The main advantage of tacky rubbers, especially the traditional Chinese ones, is the spin potential. They're also great for serves, serve receives and the short game. They have very good control for the most part, and are more predictable (what you do is what you get). Finally, Euro/Japanese rubbers bottom out, meaning that there's a limit to how much speed and spin they can produce, whereas with Chinese rubbers, the more you put in, the more the output (the only limits being your fitness and technique).

An hybrid rubber combines a Euro/Japanese porous-type sponge with a a "tacky" topsheet (usually a lot less tacky than Chinese rubbers). It will be springy like regular rubbers, usually a bit less fast than it's non "tacky" conterparts, but will have better serve and short game potential. It's an in-between type rubber between Euro/Japanese and Chinese rubbers, averaging out the qualities of both but not really reaching the peaks of either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Music&Ping and MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hey again,

First off, traditional Euro/Japanese rubbers are not even slightly tacky since they don't stick, but they are grippy thanks to their porous sponge and tensioned topsheet.

The main advantage of tacky rubbers, especially the traditional Chinese ones, is the spin potential. They're also great for serves, serve receives and the short game. They have very good control for the most part, and are more predictable (what you do is what you get). Finally, Euro/Japanese rubbers bottom out, meaning that there's a limit to how much speed and spin they can produce, whereas with Chinese rubbers, the more you put in, the more the output (the only limits being your fitness and technique).

An hybrid rubber combines a Euro/Japanese porous-type sponge with a a "tacky" topsheet (usually a lot less tacky than Chinese rubbers). It will be springy like regular rubbers, usually a bit less fast than it's non "tacky" conterparts, but will have better serve and short game potential. It's an in-between type rubber between Euro/Japanese and Chinese rubbers, averaging out the qualities of both but not really reaching the peaks of either.

Chinese hard tacky rubbers need much much much much more input than hybrids or euro/jap.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
For sure, I'm not saying the contrary. But he asked for the advantages, not the drawbacks! 😉

It is an advantage, helps to develop stroke strength, and acceleration. Unless you do it properly are not going to generate speed and spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews

Maybe a bit off topic, but I remember in the early 90s I played with a Donic hybrid rubber called "Shangri La". The topsheet was just as tacky as any Chinese rubber I have tested in recent years. You could pick up a ball with it for several seconds. I can't remember what the sponge was like, but probably very soft.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I've played tacky hybrid rubbers before. I play K1, K1 plus and Golden Tango. They are much easier to play than H3 boosted. I am emphasise that boosted H3 is not that hard to play at all.

But still, hybrid rubber requires less effort to attack. Due to the porous sponge, they are also lighter than boosted H3.

After all, I still went back to H3, still the best rubber for FH loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Tacky rubbers are good for brushing because the coefficient of friction is higher. The ball doesn't need to penetrate the sponge for the tacky top sheet to grip the ball. However, if you don't brush then don't bother. Brushing required very good timing. If the timing is off you can miss the ball or hit it with the leading edge of the paddle.

the tacky hybrid rubbers nowadays were produced to have a spin close to Hurricane 3 but with better bounce and speed without boosting outside the factory. Rubbers such as Xiom Tau 2, Omega 7 China Ying and Guang, Rakza Z series, Golden Tango series all have a slightly tacky top but have very springy sponge making the ball easier to handle with less amount of effort.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Are there hybrid rubbers with 47,5 degree sponge?

If i remember correctly all of them have 50 degree and more. I guess this is to hard for me that’s why i asking for a softer one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Are al the hybird rubbers hard sponges?

They don't give a 'softer feeling' because of the tacky topsheet?

Yup. Why anyone would want a soft tacky rubber 😉 Soft sponges are usually quite springy which is usually the opposite of what you want with tacky rubber. I often do use mostly top sheet when brushing, so a soft sponge does ruin the feel (Golden Tango PS).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Not soft like vega europe. but a little easier to play than 50 degree.
What of the rubbers above has the softest feeling or is the easiest to use of them?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Are there hybrid rubbers with 47,5 degree sponge?

If i remember correctly all of them have 50 degree and more. I guess this is to hard for me that’s why i asking for a softer one.

Yasaka Rising Dragon and Shining Dragon are hybrids with softer sponges. I don't have precise numbers but I think Rising Dragon is around 48 and Shining Dragon around 46. I played with Rising shortly, it has big spin potential.

Don't worry about the hardness only. I was often told that it is the harder rubbers that are harder to control, because they are faster. And ultimately, I think it's correct. But it so happened, that the different people who told it to me, didn't distinguish much between bouncy sponges and less or non-bouncy sponges. So, I could say e.g. Razanter R53 is too hard for me, but I should say, it is too bouncy or advanced for me to control. But e.g. Bluegrip C1/C2, which are harder on paper (ESN 60/55) were not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020

Maybe a bit off topic, but I remember in the early 90s I played with a Donic hybrid rubber called "Shangri La". The topsheet was just as tacky as any Chinese rubber I have tested in recent years. You could pick up a ball with it for several seconds. I can't remember what the sponge was like, but probably very soft.

Yep ! as also other brands like Tibhar's Dang ! or Banco's China Spin, I used both as a developing offensive player. Yasaka DO too.