Why are rubbers so expensive?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The main reason rubbers cost so much is, the materials in a rubber, if you melt it down, would cost about $0.50.

Oh, wait, maybe that is not why. :) PS: I am not sure I am fully accurate. Maybe the actual cost of the materials is about $1.00. :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The main reason rubbers cost so much is, the materials in a rubber, if you melt it down, would cost about $0.50.

Oh, wait, maybe that is not why. :) PS: I am not sure I am fully accurate. Maybe the actual cost of the materials is about $1.00. :)
Can someone please send me their old Butterfly rubbers so I can melt them down and figure out how to make them brand new again!? 😅

I'm sure if I put them in my VCR it'll work.... 😉

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

"""""""There are very good business reasons why there is no major USA maker of TT rubbers, despite having the world's largest amount of business minded risk takers. Ever wonder why? """""""

I never wondered why - but i am NOW 😁
If there would be a US company wanting to make Rubbers, the first thought in their mind would most likely be : "Now, where in the world could we manufacture the bloody things cheapest" - Kazakhstan maybe ? Oh, I know , China 😎

Well, Joola has been a US-owned company for a few years now, but like most TT companies, most of their rubbers are made by ESN in Germany...

And I think Gambler is a American company too, and they make their blades and rubbers in China.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I 've been playing with Butterfly rubbers forever, and switched to Dignics last year.
They're the best rubbers i've ever tried, and i like to play with fresh sheets hence for example i just changed them after 3 months, but i think next time its going to be 2 months.
if they cost 50% more i'd pay the price

I hope that answers your question.

PS. there are plenty of other rubbers around. But when you will face me you won't be able to block the spin from my Dignics BH and the power from my Tenergy FH.

Have fun making slow and shitty topspins

BUTTERFLY FOREVER
So we can't get you to stop buying Butterfly rubbers that allow you to produce more spin than with other rubbers even though it might eventually bring their price down!? Selfish 😉

Last edited:
I 've been playing with Butterfly rubbers forever, and switched to Dignics last year.
They're the best rubbers i've ever tried, and i like to play with fresh sheets hence for example i just changed them after 3 months, but i think next time its going to be 2 months.

PS. there are plenty of other rubbers around. But when you will face me you won't be able to block the spin from my Dignics BH and the power from my Tenergy FH.

BUTTERFLY FOREVER

Exactly!

These are my very feelings to Xiom too.

BTW - why the Record button on your profile do not work? If it's "made in Japan" it should work!

😜

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

BUTTERFLY FOREVER

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?19807-Butterfly-announces-new-Sping-Sponge-X&p=253545&viewfull=1#post253545

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
The proper thing to do would be to use Chinese rubbers made in China so that the Japanese and European manufacturers would have to lower the prices 😀.

Anybody know of such a rubber?
It would have to be no sticky and with Tensor like characteristics.

Might I suggest Sanwei Gear Hyper 39 - I think its made in China?

Repeat ESN made in Europe not made in Japan.

Lazer, if topsheets and sponges are assembled from 2 factories, do you think it will not affect the price? Also, as a company wanting to profit because it is a business, why would they combine the parts now? They use to this years ago but now ESN and DHS will not let each other share the topsheet or sponge.

I find it for 30 Euros, not that cheap really, but still interesting. The package says "half sticky" whatever that means...
I'll put it on my list.

Have you used it?

Thanks
L-zr

Lazer, where in the world this you get this info?

Not from me.
He does not understand that I meant that Nittaku (I think it was) is a japanese brand. Different products can be made in any country...

Last edited:

Lazer, if topsheets and sponges are assembled from 2 factories, do you think it will not affect the price? Also, as a company wanting to profit because it is a business, why would they combine the parts now? They use to this years ago but now ESN and DHS will not let each other share the topsheet or sponge.

Don't be silly...

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I find it for 30 Euros, not that cheap really, but still interesting. The package says "half sticky" whatever that means...
I'll put it on my list.

Have you used it?

Thanks
L-zr

Now, if you buy this Chinese rubber for 30€, their prices are bound to go up! 😂

That's not fair to the rest of us 😉

• Haha
Reactions: SamTheMan
Now, if you buy this Chinese rubber for 30€, their prices are bound to go up! 😂

That's not fair to the rest of us 😉
OK, I'll keep looking for a better price..., Youll let me know what's acceptable...

Reactions: thomas.pong