Why are rubbers so expensive?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you ask me (and if on a budget) - go with a cheaper one, there are many chinese manufacturers that are not so expensive. Its not the A+ quality but it will do the job.What exactly you need a pimpled rubber or a firm rubber. I've passed to (link removed) in a search for a really good paddle for my self. But as they are quite expensive I'll stick to my old one and maybe assemble a new one when have time and parts.
You present that link as if you just came across the article. But that is from your own blog web page. Isn't it? In fact, the reason for your posts seems to be to post the links to your site. Did you write the content on that site?

Are all the rackets listed in that "article" ones that come with rubbers attached to the blade?

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

I would never ever buy a Chineese blade, I've been in China and I've seen all the fake stuff...
A cheapo rubber OK, maybe but unfortunately I hate the sticky stuff...

This one (729 Focus III Snipe) is really nice, but it's unfortunately not a tensor rubber. Good control, spin and light weight. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1608620179.html . And quite cheap. 44-46 deg could be fine for forehand. Nice Chinese blades, for example Yinhe V-14 PRO and DHS Power G5X. Both quite fast ALC blades, for around $30-35. Yinhe might be better quality than DHS regarding cheaper blades. I'm really satisfied with these ones.

This user has no status.

This one (729 Focus III Snipe) is really nice, but it's unfortunately not a tensor rubber. Good control, spin and light weight. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1608620179.html . And quite cheap. 44-46 deg could be fine for forehand. Nice Chinese blades, for example Yinhe V-14 PRO and DHS Power G5X. Both quite fast ALC blades, for around $30-35. Yinhe might be better quality than DHS regarding cheaper blades. I'm really satisfied with these ones.

I don't know how in other countries, but from July 1, 2021, there will be an obligation to pay customs duties and VAT regardless of whether the goods are for $ 1 or for $ 100.
The practice of declaring a lower price will be quite risky for the buyer.

• Wow
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews

I don't know how in other countries, but from July 1, 2021, there will be an obligation to pay customs duties and VAT regardless of whether the goods are for $ 1 or for $ 100.
The practice of declaring a lower price will be quite risky for the buyer.

Yep. We had that in Sweden since beginning of 2018 :(

• Sad
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The proper thing to do would be to use Chinese rubbers made in China so that the Japanese and European manufacturers would have to lower the prices 😀.

Anybody know of such a rubber?
It would have to be no sticky and with Tensor like characteristics.

""""""""It would have to be no sticky and with Tensor like characteristics."""""""
Why should these features be desirable ????

""""""""It would have to be no sticky and with Tensor like characteristics."""""""
Why should these features be desirable ????

(made in china = price low).=> Chinese rubber price low => less tensor rubber bought.
less tensor rubbers bough => tensor rubbers decrease in cost

Capisch 😎

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
What makes a rubber so expensive???
I can get 2 great blades for the same price as 1 Tenergy or Dignics.sheet.
I can get 1 great blade for the same price as an Evolution or a Rakza sheet.

The rubbers are consumables, the blade is not,(unless You are Timo Boll 😏)

What on earth makes the rubbers so expensive?

Cheers
L-zr

so pros can the live the life that they aspire to! somebody has to pay, and its us
cheaper than golf though

Last edited:
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
(made in china = price low).=> Chinese rubber price low => less tensor rubber bought.
less tensor rubbers bough => tensor rubbers decrease in cost

Capisch 😎

This is not happening in real world friend. I see the price of tensor going up and up...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

so pros can the life that they aspire to! somebody has to pay, and its us
cheaper than golf though

I assume you mean live the life.
The pros are not benefiting. It is the rubber manufactures that are making the money.
The expensive part is making the molds. Another trick is how to make the sponge so the air pockets are relatively big but of a consistent size. This makes the sponge relatively light and springy.
Making blades of consistent wood with out flaws. This wood is called "clears". The drying the wood and gluing it so it doesn't warp also takes some skill and patience.

I don't see how the top TT players make that much money. Even it they win they must pay travel expenses, hotel, fees for training space and for someone decent to train against. Even if the pros have a few good years, it is only a few good years.

"mamas don't let your babies grow up to be TT players"
Ok, I paraphrased a song title by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson.
It's a US country music thing.

Reactions: Dream2K and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022
The proper thing to do would be to use Chinese rubbers made in China so that the Japanese and European manufacturers would have to lower the prices 😀.

Anybody know of such a rubber?
It would have to be no sticky and with Tensor like characteristics.

I plan to try a hybrid like $40 Xiom Tau ll made in Germany, or $45 Rakza Z made in Sweden next, but agree cheap Chinese hybrid would probably be just as good. I looked into it, but every time I found one that looked promising, it had too many bad reviews.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
I think that the high price is dictated by the monopoly of some manufacturers in the market or by agreement. In reality, such goods should cost twice as much.

• Haha
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
So I just noticed on Spinfactory that they have a Gewo Nexxus EL53 "superselect" rubber.
https://www.spinfactory.de/tischten...-belag-gewo-nexxus-el-pro-53-superselect.html
https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4996
https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4993
Xiom Omega 7 Tour i48 and i50 can be bought for around 65€... but Spinfactory posted yesterday https://www.facebook.com/spinfactory.de/posts/2083224721849903 that the MSRP was 159,90€...
Seems like other vendors are a bit jelly over the DHS grading system. How the world can change from Chinese copying others to others copying the Chinese.
I like DHS' grading system... I don't need the nationals but use the cheaper commercial versions for training and the provincials for league matches and tournaments. What other manufacturers should also copy is the availability of selected sponge hardnesses...