Back to Forum
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 155
  1. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #1

    Why are rubbers so expensive?

    What makes a rubber so expensive???
    I can get 2 great blades for the same price as 1 Tenergy or Dignics.sheet.
    I can get 1 great blade for the same price as an Evolution or a Rakza sheet.

    The rubbers are consumables, the blade is not,(unless You are Timo Boll 😏)

    What on earth makes the rubbers so expensive?

    Cheers
    L-zr

    The Following 3 Users Like Lazer's Post:

    akoozab, violoniste18 and 1 other


  2. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 627 1,469
    K
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,469 627
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer
    What makes a rubber so expensive???I can get 2 great blades for the same price as 1 Tenergy or Dignics.sheet.I can get 1 great blade for the same price as an Evolution or a Rakza sheet.The rubbers are consumables, the blade is not,(unless You are Timo Boll 😏)What on earth makes the rubbers so expensive?CheersL-zr

    What great blade you can get for 25€? You have 2 options. Buy Chinese or wait for deals. (maybe just Polish prices are lower, otherwise buy from Poland lolz).

    Last edited by Kuba Hajto; 02-18-2021 at 09:40 AM.

  3. passifid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 222 391
    P
    passifid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 391 222
    #3
    Dignics here is about the price as buying a rosewood V by stiga (some reason a lot are deep sale atm) and once sheet of Fastarc G1
    the quick answer is wood is cheap, and there isn't much research on blades compared to rubbers. Most just clone each other

  4. olzetezkarzo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 44 141
    O
    olzetezkarzo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 141 44

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2019
    Aaland
    141
    44
    287
    Read 0 Reviews
    #4
    yes dignics is 94 usd......but this is the most expensive rubber by butterfly.
    mizutani super zlc is 380usd....this would be at the same top level by the same company.

    you can get a nice sanwei fextra for 19 usd.
    but now you are talking about chinese market.
    so you need to stay in the chinese market for rubbers too.
    so you would get a palio hk1997 for 10 usd.or a 729 presto for 15 usd.

    if you look at it this way the blade is always more expensive than the rubber.

    maybe the better question is why does a mizutani super zlc cost 400 usd.
    is that the real cost or do they put that price just because they can?

    The Following User Likes olzetezkarzo's Post:

    M.Hoang

    Last edited by olzetezkarzo; 02-18-2021 at 10:46 AM.

  5. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuba Hajto

    What great blade you can get for 25€? You have 2 options. Buy Chinese or wait for deals. (maybe just Polish prices are lower, otherwise buy from Poland lolz).

    A Dignics here goes for 95Euro's a good blade can be had for 30Euros... One excellent example is Stiga Offensive Classic.
    That's even a big brand name, There are several Tibhar's and probably a couple of TSP's and Gewo's too...
    Sorry I don't buy Chineese cheapo stuff... The QC has gone out for lunch break...

    The Following 2 Users Like Lazer's Post:

    Simas and what happened


  6. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by olzetezkarzo
    yes dignics is 94 usd......but this is the most expensive rubber by butterfly.
    mizutani super zlc is 380usd....this would be at the same top level by the same company.

    you can get a nice sanwei fextra for 19 usd.
    but now you are talking about chinese market.
    so you need to stay in the chinese market for rubbers too.
    so you would get a palio hk1997 for 10 usd.or a 729 presto for 15 usd.

    if you look at it this way the blade is always more expensive than the rubber.

    maybe the better question is why does a mizutani super zlc cost 400 usd.
    is that the real cost or do they put that price just because they can?

    I would never ever buy a Chineese blade, I've been in China and I've seen all the fake stuff...
    A cheapo rubber OK, maybe but unfortunately I hate the sticky stuff...


  7. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by passifid
    Dignics here is about the price as buying a rosewood V by stiga (some reason a lot are deep sale atm) and once sheet of Fastarc G1
    the quick answer is wood is cheap, and there isn't much research on blades compared to rubbers. Most just clone each other
    Actually wood isn't cheap anymore, at least not quality wood.
    So why keep the blade... Why not do it Timo Boll's way, New blade and rubber every week... or at least how long it takes for the rubber to go dead...

    I doubt the rubber R&D is that expensive, It's the same basic stuff that I used in the 70's. Now it's a little harder but that's about it. No it's about milking money...

    Last edited by Lazer; 02-18-2021 at 11:01 AM.

  8. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 627 1,469
    K
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,469 627
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer

    I would never ever buy a Chineese blade, I've been in China and I've seen all the fake stuff...
    A cheapo rubber OK, maybe but unfortunately I hate the sticky stuff...

    Not all Chinese rubbers are sticky. Palio AK47 feels close to Donic Bluefire for me. Similar top sheet texture and same sponge hardness range, the sponge itself is a bit different, but for most of my friends it is good enough when they don't want to spend big money. If you don't want to buy rubbers often then try Fastarc G1, supposably this rubber just don't want to DIE. It has super thick top sheet. It is stiffer than most of the other rubbers though.

    The Following 2 Users Like Kuba Hajto's Post:

    MK73 and thomas.pong


  9. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #9
    Fastarc is a Japaneese rubber...

    And why, because the rubber market in Europe is so lucrative, so they want a part of it.
    Last edited by Lazer; 02-18-2021 at 12:13 PM.

  10. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 627 1,469
    K
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,469 627
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer
    Fastarc is a Japaneese rubber...

    I know that. I should maybe have to accented that more clearly. I ended chinese rubbers thread and started new thought thread about using a rubber that lasts a very very very long time as an alternative solution to expensive rubber problem.

    The Following User Likes Kuba Hajto's Post:

    thomas.pong


  11. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #11
    I'm playing with Rakza 7 now, they last me 6 months to a Year, so Im fine in that department...

  12. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 627 1,469
    K
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,469 627
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer
    I'm playing with Rakza 7 now, they last me 6 months to a Year, so Im fine in that department...

    Last Fastarc user I talked with measured durability in years, not months. Haven't yet used it myself for extended periods of time though. Can't personally confirm those claims.

    Regarding R&D costs. As far as my knowledge goes (which is somehow limited), R&D relies mostly on trial and error when it comes to tt rubbers. I can imagine that quite a lot of prototypes were hand-cast/made and glued, during the rubber development process. Which takes a lot of time, and time is the most expensive resource in any R&D process. Also ITTF approval is probably a very big cost.

    The Following User Likes Kuba Hajto's Post:

    thomas.pong


  13. merlin el mago is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 65 444
    merlin el mago's Avatar
    merlin el mago is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 444 65
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer
    Fastarc is a Japaneese rubber...

    No, is ESN made in Europe.

    The Following 2 Users Like merlin el mago's Post:

    Kuba Hajto and thomas.pong

    No more political prisoners in Catalonia.

  14. Creek is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 70 114
    C
    Creek is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 114 70

    User Info Menu


    Feb 2019
    Germany
    114
    70
    248
    Read 2 Reviews
    #14
    Nittaku is a Japanese brand, but Fastarc is a German rubber made by ESN...

    regarding topic: why does a Ferrari cost 200.000€ and a Dacia 10.000€? Why does a no-name jacket cost 20€ and a Canada Goose 1000€?
    It is always about technology, research, quality, marketing. In addition you should never compare different markets and quality levels.
    e.g. you can buy DHS PG5 for 40-50€ and you can buy DHS long5 for 200€ and W968 for 1000€. All are exactly the same Brand and composition, but different quality level...

    The Following 3 Users Like Creek's Post:

    Kuba Hajto, merlin el mago and 1 other


  15. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #15

    I seriously doubt that there is much difference in that department.
    They manufacture in the same factory with the same materials and the put on different names ...

    They have a few varieties of sponges and topsheets, that's the only difference, At least between the ESN rubbers made in Germany....
    There is no reason other then corruption that the approval should be expensive...

    The Following User Likes Lazer's Post:

    brokenball


  16. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek
    Nittaku is a Japanese brand, but Fastarc is a German rubber made by ESN...

    regarding topic: why does a Ferrari cost 200.000€ and a Dacia 10.000€? Why does a no-name jacket cost 20€ and a Canada Goose 1000€?
    It is always about technology, research, quality, marketing. In addition you should never compare different markets and quality levels.
    e.g. you can buy DHS PG5 for 40-50€ and you can buy DHS long5 for 200€ and W968 for 1000€. All are exactly the same Brand and composition, but different quality level...

    That's a ridiculous comparison. A Ferrari is not a consumable, at least not where I'm from...
    A comparison of car tires would have been better.

    And You are mixing apples and pears this was a discussion about expensive rubbers...

    The Following User Likes Lazer's Post:

    Atas Newton


  17. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin el mago

    No, is ESN made in Europe.

    On order from a Japaneese company...

  18. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 191 463
    L
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 191

    User Info Menu

    #18
    The proper thing to do would be to use Chinese rubbers made in China so that the Japanese and European manufacturers would have to lower the prices πŸ˜€.

    Anybody know of such a rubber?
    It would have to be no sticky and with Tensor like characteristics.
    Last edited by Lazer; 02-18-2021 at 12:25 PM.

  19. olzetezkarzo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 44 141
    O
    olzetezkarzo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 141 44

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2019
    Aaland
    141
    44
    287
    Read 0 Reviews
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer

    I would never ever buy a Chineese blade, I've been in China and I've seen all the fake stuff...
    A cheapo rubber OK, maybe but unfortunately I hate the sticky stuff...

    when you buy adidas or nike where do you think they make that stuff?
    in china mostly....sometimes vietnam or similar places but mostly china.
    it's not like you are buying a product made in "the western world".

    The Following 2 Users Like olzetezkarzo's Post:

    Music&Ping and thomas.pong


  20. olzetezkarzo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 44 141
    O
    olzetezkarzo is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 141 44

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2019
    Aaland
    141
    44
    287
    Read 0 Reviews
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek
    Nittaku is a Japanese brand, but Fastarc is a German rubber made by ESN...

    regarding topic: why does a Ferrari cost 200.000€ and a Dacia 10.000€? Why does a no-name jacket cost 20€ and a Canada Goose 1000€?
    It is always about technology, research, quality, marketing. In addition you should never compare different markets and quality levels.
    e.g. you can buy DHS PG5 for 40-50€ and you can buy DHS long5 for 200€ and W968 for 1000€. All are exactly the same Brand and composition, but different quality level...

    there is no real reason why ferrari costs 200.000 and why dignics costs 100.
    the only reason is they are the top products..... and people like having the best.
    could a ferrari be sold for 30.000? could a dignics be sold for 30?------------> for sure.... and they would still make a profit

    Last edited by olzetezkarzo; 02-18-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.