Importance of pairing - Findings after months of equipment testing

5plyguy,

I actually highly agree with you that comnbinations matter. It is really true because in order to arrive to my current setup I had to go through the long and winding road. I tried carbon and tensors, carbon and tensors (repeat on purpose), neutral with thick 5, 7 ply with chinese and neutral, until I arrived to my h3 and mark v and oc. I feel comfortable with it.

To be honest, at least you are not immediately saying that it made me infinitely better or that kind of stuff. You understand that constantly changing setup won't always help you develop but instead you do it as recreation. It improves some aspects but at the cost of other aspecs. For me, you just do what you like. Quarantine has probably brought out a lot in us, and it may have brought out your inner EJ. Table tennis is not all competition, it is something we do to have fun, and equipment testing is very very very fun. That is if you have the means.

P.S. If there were such thing as rubber 00-000, Ma long wouldn't be getting a grand slam 😏

Reactions: 5plyguy and lodro
I fully agree with the OP about the importance of synergy.
I personally have wrote here many times about that importance.

I agree with Carl that different players may experience very different feeling, which may turn every statement very subjective.
And I've said many times that despite the synergy of the blade/rubber system, a player has to find his own synergy with the right setup.

Anyway, aside from the very subjective personal differences, blade/rubber synergy has some objective bases.

If you look in the Xiom page you'll find that for the Vega and Omega blades Xiom is showing their synergy with the rubber hardness.
And I find it true.

In my country the biggest TT store is held by professional players, who have tested almost every kind of blades and rubbers, and for many rubbers they write with what kind of blades they would fit the best, with some advices for particular blades. And many times I've found their advices to be exact.

Reactions: 5plyguy
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Is Der continuing to put his foot further and further into his mouth while...

Cue the Goon Squad singing a famous B. Spears tune... Sometimes I can really jam that thing down there so far it comes out the other end.

I use to be the typical Scottish tight wad with money, conistent with my family heritage from decades ago, but I am more balanced in my older days.

Where I am at now, there are several MILLIONAIRES playing TT who wear the same $2 white shirt to the venue, haven't changed their rubbers since the Clinton Adminstration, and apply enough makeup to convince the dude at the desk to give them the seniors disount.

Last session, a dude broke a pip on a hit...ONE pip... and bemoaned that fiercely. Damned rubber didn't even have 1,000 hrs on it either! That rubber was OX and runs at $5 to $10 a sheet depending on where you buy it.

How can I compete for Scrooge of the Year these days vs dudes like that ???!!!