Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021

Any thoughts?

Grips the ball excellently in most conditions for a grippy type rubber.

There is a noticeable catapult that keeps base speed extreme, though what’s great is it’s fed through in a linear way from a compliant low end increasing with a bigger effect and accompanying loud click on the strongest, snappiest attacking shots.

Hence, short game is very controllable when doing safe, steady deliberate movements making sure no “sudden-ness” which would activate a stronger corresponding catapult (more on this later).
Unless there is a misread of spin and/or length, I can place push returns short and tight over the net.
For comparison, I have no confidence at all doing this using T05 and any soft <42.5 deg, gets abit better using ESN 47.5-53 deg (Vega X, RZ), promising on small pored or dead-ish hard sponges (RZ EH, O7C, Battle II 39 deg above, H3 40.5 deg above) and finally full confidence on 45 deg+ low spin sensitivity type (R7, Vega Pro, GA8 50, Rozena). For the spin potential, the lack of resulting spin sensitivity is a major benefit which will keep me coming back.

On slow loops, arc is medium-high to high. Increasing the power output there is stable support from the firm powersponge and a corresponding increase of catapult lowering the arc to medium to medium-low-low on the hardest drives.

On forehand loop, wrist must be stable during stroke - relaxing back wrist before impact results in inconsistency because of the catapult. Flexible wrist manipulators won’t like this rubber or will think it is super demanding to use - I can think of choppers, slappers, late timing spin loopers, strawberry returns.

On backhand loop, short snappy forearm action is sufficient to generate a quality ball, speed first, spin secondary with a dangerous trajectory. Longer stroke BH can guide the ball onto the table loaded with more spin - which, is another confirmation for me the catapult is predictable and linear.

This is still a very demanding rubber to use only for technically sound advanced level and above. For me, I think it gives enough feedback on errors that I believe it can be tamed with more usage and forces me play in a focussed, correct way.

For example, with T05 and hybrids I could just lean in and swing through into loops. With MX-D, using the same relaxed (lazy?) form I would constantly be clipping the top of the net with the lowering arc.
Hence, as long as I focus on executing cleanly on my loop checklist, my stability is excellent. This rubber will rarely save you on offense.

No puzzled look down at my rubber if I miss a committed shot, I know even before impact if anything is off, this ball will miss.

The first impression “illusion” of ease of use found in T05 topspinning for intermediate level is missing. I guess from Tibhar, ambitious beginners or intermediate can pick EL or Aurus series and if liking harder sponge can go up to test MX-S before settling on MX-D (or MX-P if more catapult is needed, K3 for most spin and hybrid characteristics).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Evil

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I just think MX-D is so similar to t05 that a detailed comparison doesn´t make much sense. Give or take 2% arc here and 3% speed there, the fascinating part is that MX-D just FEELS like a t05, so you play with it as if you played with t05.

Fastarc I have never tried. It´s from an older ESN generation and for some reason very popular in Japan, it came to Germany´s tt news forum through the back door when no-one was talking about its siblings (Tibhar Genius, Vega Pro) anymore. Anyone I personally know who has tried this rubber was hugely disappointed in comparison to their Evolution or Rasanter or Omega rubbers. so I really don´t know what the fuzz is all about.

Attacking shots yes, it does have very close similarities for me to T05 Hard version. I could not tell any large differences between these 2 on similar outer ALC blade on FH to FH and BH to BH drive hitup, though my friends T05H would be at least a couple of months old, while my MX-D was at around 2-3 weeks. On block T05H seemed slightly firmer overall though slightly more spin sensitive from the topsheet. Easier to loop to loop from afar with MX-D. Easier to small counterloop from closer in with T05H. Didn’t get to test short game, though I’m very certain MX-D would be stronger.

In comparison to regular T05: MX-D arc is similar or maybe slightly lower on slow loops. Much lower arc and feeling of stability on power loop drives. More likely to catch the top of the net then to fly out as is the case when power driving with T05.

The dwelly vibration sensation spring sponge feeling of T05 can not be matched. MX-D has its own more direct distinctive catapult loud clicking feeling.

I want to add, T80 1.9 was also quite similar, it’s almost as if it is a completely toned down in every way lite-version of MX-D Max. Have not had a chance to test T80 in 2.1.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I think it’s generally accepted anything coming out of ESN is boosted in order to compete with Butterfly.

I think there’s great synergy between topsheet and sponge so I feel either I’m liking it more as it’s aging (1 month now) or maybe due to familiarity I’m getting more performance out of it. It’s a fun rubber to play with it.

This is coming from someone who still enjoys playing with 4-5 month old MX-P though hated similarly aged MX-S if that helps.

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Forgot to add spin levels are clearly not as high as T05.

Should be thought more of as a power rubber. Much closer to MX-P than MX-S. Optimal objective is to hit through past your opponent rather than causing errors via spin.

There is definitely enough spin to safely place power loops to where they are needed to go.

Can work both sides, though if I had to choose it fits better for me on backhand with the lowering throw.

This is a good rubber from Tibhar as not all players are spin based, particularly those like me that have an aversion to sticky tacky rubbers but like hard sponges.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021

I used MX-D for a while. Like a lot of Tibhar rubbers it performed well, but it literally stinks. As in it has a very distinct (and not pleasant IMO) smell.I used MX-D on forehand and EL-P on backhand for a while on a hurricane hao 3 blade. That setup was an absolute looping monster, but it was extremely heavy and I was disappointed in the durability of both Tibhar rubbers. They both started to crumble at the edges of the blade within 4 weeks of installation. And by 8 weeks there was noticeable pitting all along the edge of my blade. It was worse on the MX-D side than the EL-P side. Ultimately I decided not to continue using the setup because of the odor and the lack of durability. The performance was very good though, so if you can get past those issues both MX-D and EL-P are a solid choice for an offensive play style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews

They both started to crumble at the edges of the blade within 4 weeks of installation. And by 8 weeks there was noticeable pitting all along the edge of my blade. It was worse on the MX-D side than the EL-P side. Ultimately I decided not to continue using the setup because of the odor and the lack of durability. The performance was very good though, so if you can get past those issues both MX-D and EL-P are a solid choice for an offensive play style.

Not sure about smell, didn't notice anything specil about it but it maybe just me. But no problems with edges (not sure whether it will be seen on a photo):
6 weeks of play:
MxD%20new%20jpg.jpeg

After 7.5 month of play:

MxD%20old%20jpg.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Couple of my thoughts.
  • The sponge is very hard but it is very easy to play good spin without engaging whole sponge. If someone does not have a strong body and really wants this, then 2.0 thickness should be considered imho
  • I could engage whole sponge mostly when countering.
  • Most people that tried it could play with it, but only few could engage full power.
  • It is non trivial to play with this rubber when you are playing against super low level players, because the ball you get is super dead.
  • Most people that tried it could keep the ball on the table, play passive strokes and decent fast loops.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Not sure about smell, didn't notice anything specil about it but it maybe just me. But no problems with edges (not sure whether it will be seen on a photo):
6 weeks of play:
MxD%20new%20jpg.jpeg

After 7.5 month of play:

MxD%20old%20jpg.jpeg

I wonder what is the weight of the rubber after 7.5 month. Not sure if you have the glue layer on the sponge, that can add 1-2 gramms. The topsheet seems to hold up well.