SPIN is a 4 letter word that starts with "S"

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Somehow, these two gents who wound up in the final of a NATIONAL OPEN Combined Div4/5 FINAL (2019 Gumi Natl Open)...somehow BOTH these gents did not get the memo. Only way they made the final is they very consistent in their poking fast kind of style. Yeah, they KINDA topspin an opener when they get a long underspin, yeah, they land it most of the time, but these gents are certainly not the "Spin First, Ask Questions Later" followers.

Still, their consistency at fast poking makes for some long rallies... and when one pops it up a little, they commence to the attempt of Quarter Pounder unwrapping.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
2 J-pens in disguise.

Triple Haha.

I have seen SHORT PIP J-Pen players who are more inclined to spin the ball than either of these gents... but what the heck. Landing the ball on the table is always mission number one... and both these gents land thier shots a lot, spin be damned. mission priority number two is to land it in a manner to not get killed or get some pressure... Mission Accomplished. Mission Priority Number 3 is to land the ball, not miss, not get killed, and win the point.Check. They both do that.

So I guess using those performance measures, we can say they are playing table tennis effectively.

But hot damn, lets see some spin, the rubbers they are using are likely not ANTI_SPIN, right?

Reactions: thomas.pong
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Triple Haha.

I have seen SHORT PIP J-Pen players who are more inclined to spin the ball than either of these gents... but what the heck. Landing the ball on the table is always mission number one... and both these gents land thier shots a lot, spin be damned. mission priority number two is to land it in a manner to not get killed or get some pressure... Mission Accomplished. Mission Priority Number 3 is to land the ball, not miss, not get killed, and win the point.Check. They both do that.

So I guess using those performance measures, we can say they are playing table tennis effectively.

But hot damn, lets see some spin, the rubbers they are using are likely not ANTI_SPIN, right?
That’s a question I had, inverted both sides or maybe short pips BH?,
Also hardly any short serves, half long at best, the guy that won did maybe 2 or 3 short serves during the whole match. But I guess this is because they want an open type game which suit their style. Opens up the point to allow them to punch the ball around and position their shots outmanoeuvring their opponent before blasting home a winner.

Great vid again, good to be able to see different styles that are about elsewhere!! Definitely not the type of player I see very often!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Cool video! I kind of like that they can play pretty well even if they do not play so conventional. Since they move very well and are able to take the ball at the highest point it seems that it is not so unsafe even with less spin. I also think the backhand punch is underrated.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The black shouldered guy is more S, I think.The reason for lesser S is that the other guy has no S at all.I often see good S-ers to put small s when playing against pure flatters.
Yeah, that's the right primary tactic when playing someone who doesn't use a lot of spin, otherwise you're prone to too much risk taking and sending the ball wide (when fast spinning) or into the net (when slow spinning) too often.

You can see the guy in the pink/black trying to put some spin on some shots and it lends straight into the net or arcs way out. He then adapts to the older guy's playing style some just like you said, but it's too little too late, the older guy's dictating the type of play (low flat hits) and pace (speed most of the time) and the young guy is not comfortable playing flat and low, and seems scared to put too much speed on the ball many times.

I think the young guy looked like the better player but couldn't play his usual spin game, didn't enjoy himself and was really annoyed, and couldn't change tactics, which is what cost him the match.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Cool video! I kind of like that they can play pretty well even if they do not play so conventional. Since they move very well and are able to take the ball at the highest point it seems that it is not so unsafe even with less spin. I also think the backhand punch is underrated.

Cool indeed. After the 3rd I hoped for 5-setter with result reversal :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Music&Ping;340716 said:
SOUL is 4 letters starting with an S, playing with no soul like all those chinese robots shall be against nature.

You got to get DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN !!!

Edit: Didn't want to hijack. Just thought it is needed to get S... power.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Music&Ping
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Yeah, that's the right primary tactic when playing someone who doesn't use a lot of soul, otherwise you're prone to too much risk taking and sending the groove wide (when fast rushing) or into the groove (when slow dragging) too often.

You can see the guy in the pink/black trying to put some soul on some grooves and it lends straight into the beat or grooves way out. He then adapts to the older guy's playing style some just like you said, but it's too little too lazy, the older guy's dictating the type of groove (low lazy hits) and pace (speed most of the time) and the young guy is not comfortable playing lazy and low, and seems scared to put too much soul on the groove many times.

I think the young guy looked like the better player but couldn't play his usual soul game, didn't enjoy himself and was really annoyed, and couldn't change grooves, which is what cost him the gig.

Sorry, I had to correct.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Joke and hijacking put aside, that's a really interesting video, we've got many guys like those in the low local leagues here in France with no S and they're a pain in the A to play hahaha I regularly play a woman in my club who plays like this, though she has more S variations, and I sweat my A a lot !! Sarah if you read me...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
langel,

I did not see your original post, why be sorry to edit?

I edit all the time, because I type like crap, then I remember stuff to add.

Did you commit a national crime against humanity with your post? I do not think you offended a few million and have the Goon Squad on your tail.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That’s a question I had, inverted both sides or maybe short pips BH?,
Also hardly any short serves, half long at best, the guy that won did maybe 2 or 3 short serves during the whole match. But I guess this is because they want an open type game which suit their style. Opens up the point to allow them to punch the ball around and position their shots outmanoeuvring their opponent before blasting home a winner.

Great vid again, good to be able to see different styles that are about elsewhere!! Definitely not the type of player I see very often!!

A couple months ago, I posted a vid where two Div 1 Natl players had a match and NO ONE showed any interest in short serves... It was serve deep, get a weaker attack, then counter away to the races. BOTH players liked that, even if they knew they should try to show some variation to make their main style more effective. In the end, it was the BH to BH warrior lady who won.