My Training Routine

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hello guys I want you to look at my training routine and give me some tips on how can I improve it or is it good and your general thoughts.

So mainly I train 4-5 times a week 4times is every week the fifth time is not always.

Tuesday I train one and a half hour with a coach first half a hour is service training then we start basic forehand and backhand drives then transition that to topspins then we do forehand topspin from middle and cross courts for some footwork then usually something like falkenberg drill this is usually another 30 mins so 30 mins left from the training session then we do something on my preference that I think I lack on game days like multi ball drills one long underspin ball to my forehand then one long topspin or short push to my forehand then topspin attack to my backhand etc.

Wednesday I meet up with people to train usually we gather around 5-6 players and do games for around 2 hours and 30 mins

Saturday I train again with coach again the training is 1 hour and 30 mins first is service practice then the regular stuff that I mentioned the last 30 mins however we train serve receive and my serve and third ball attack. Then I rest for 30 mins and play games for one a half hour with a friend.

Sunday is game day again I meet up with a group of people and we play games for 2 and a half hours.

Usually on game days we play a lot of games and don't train shots so mainly some tips on my training days how can I improve is it good that I do the same stuff the first hour mainly and any tips on good footwork drills that I can implement into my training.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

it would be really great if you could post some video footage, so we can see your level of play!!

it looks like you have a good coach, so keep going with what he recommends in the formal sessions with him.

It’s, as far as I’m concerned, excellent that he dedicates 30mins for serve practice, this can be overlooked, but is very important because your serve sets up the play for that particular point in the ‘direction’ or ‘way’ you want!!
Hopefully coach has also explained what the likely receive options your opponent may use for any serves you use, best placement positions for you to serve to etc
Serve receive practice ? Do you do some of this as well? Is it combined with the serve practice?

great that you also play some games, for match practice, you could also do some ‘irregular’ routines during these sessions. This type of training has been shown to be way better than standard ‘set’ routines when related to match performance.
So a combination of ‘set’ routines and ‘irregular’ are a good option,so you get the best of both.
‘Set’ routines are ones where you know the ball is going to be played to, these are good for learning each stroke, footwork and the repetition, consistency.

’Irregular’ routines are exactly that!! The feeder can play to maybe 2 or 3 positions on the table as they want to, randomly. You have to return ball to a fixed position, say their backhand. This type of routine is excellent because it is more realistic to a match situation.
It also ‘teaches’ you to ‘READ’ your opponents. You have to concentrate on what they are doing, subtle differences in their positioning, bat angles etc

Ask coach about irregular routines, and incorporate these into your training sessions.

Keep training and playing!! 😀

Last edited:
That all sounds very good.

I think that at some point you better start practicing service on your own and don't waste time for that during coaching sessions.
Take a bag of balls and practice service for an hour.
In my club, if there is a free table, a club member can practice service as long as he wants for no charge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
That all sounds very good.

I think that at some point you better start practicing service on your own and don't waste time for that during coaching sessions.
Take a bag of balls and practice service for an hour.
In my club, if there is a free table, a club member can practice service as long as he wants for no charge.

I miss lead you guys I do the service training on my own before the training session I just come earlier and practice it but I do serve receive training with him so I am not paying for the first 30mins for the service.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

I miss lead you guys I do the service training on my own before the training session I just come earlier and practice it but I do serve receive training with him so I am not paying for the first 30mins for the service.

I disagree to a certain extent, yep, practice serving before the training on your own, but also get your coach involved with your service as well, ask him to receive your serves, how you can improve your service action and deception of spins imparted. Is the serve setting up your 3rd ball attack? Is the serve a good serve? What is a good serve?
Check Matt Hetherington’s videos, there’s are really good one about ‘what a good serve is’

so, okay maybe not ‘pay for the serve’ 30 mins every time, but service is still a major part of playing table tennis, many people foolishly underestimate this. If a coach can teach FH loop, BH block, etc, then they should also be able to teach and advise on serving. A ‘match’ situation serve can also be incorporated into the routines you do.

Reactions: KMTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
It looks ok, but important is the way you train. Not, how much and what.

Can you imagine correct form of your strokes? Do you know how and when to move, what is proper timing and trajectory for the stroke, etc.

Video of the training session would be helpful.